What's new

Smok X-Priv charging screen

sparkuk

Postman
Hi all,

Just took a step up from my 80W istick and Atlantis evo, to the Smok X-Priv and TFV12 prince.
Very pleased so far, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this? When you plug the charger in, you get a nice graphic of both batteries charging, with their percentages. However once the screen times out, waking it up again takes you to the main screen, there doesn't seem to be a way of getting back to this other than unplugging and plugging back in. OK the battery icons at the top of the main screen do animate, but there's no percentages there.

It was the same on an Alien and a Qbox. TBH you are better off charging the batteries in an external charger.

It was the same on an Alien and a Qbox. TBH you are better off charging the batteries in an external charger.
Why's that? The mod seems to charge them ok (I felt the need to check it, for peace of mind).

I monitored the supply current with a meter and the mod limits it at a very stable 1.4A (measured at the 5V supply, so current at the cells will actually be a bit less), so a bit under 0.7A/cell, well within the 0.5C recommended by Samsung SDI in their datasheet.
(I also noted negligible cell temperature rise, and measured a shut-off of 4.16V/cell.)

Cells in use: Samsung 25R5 (green)

Very few mods charge well. Even less have dedicated usb charging boards/circuitry providing balanced charging. You cannot be sure that your batteries discharge equally in a mod so balanced charging is nigh on impossible. It is recommended, even by Smok, to charge batteries externally.
A quick search on here will show issues with internal charging on many makes of mod.

Very few mods charge well. Even less have dedicated usb charging boards/circuitry providing balanced charging. You cannot be sure that your batteries discharge equally in a mod so balanced charging is nigh on impossible. It is recommended, even by Smok, to charge batteries externally.
A quick search on here will show issues with internal charging on many makes of mod.
Does that not beg the question of why the feature is provided if its use is discouraged though?

As a stopgap to provide a quick top up charge. Also usb is used for updating mods that can be updated. With internal batteries there is no other option but they are designed with this in mind. The choice is yours if you wish to charge this way, the advice given is in good faith & with safety in mind.

Advice noted, thanks. This is the reason I conducted my basic tests. I have been reading several threads on here over the past couple of hours, and the efficacy of mod charging is as you say, varied at best. Some mods do apparently balance charge quite well, others don't.
Also I suppose it's worth bearing in mind the expected life of a repeatedly used micro-USB port, against the repeated insertion and removal of batteries, and from this view at least, I'd probably put my money on the latter. Plus if the USB port breaks, there goes ever upgrading the firmware again.

I've been having a look on fogstar at the xtar range of chargers, reasonably priced what with the discount code. For my needs I'm sort of leaning towards the VC2 plus. Is that a good one to go with?

I've been having a look on fogstar at the xtar range of chargers, reasonably priced what with the discount code. For my needs I'm sort of leaning towards the VC2 plus. Is that a good one to go with?

Those chargers have a good reputation. However they will only be as good as the USB power source you use. To make the most of the charger a quality USB power supply is recommended. Something with an output of 2+ amps from a known manufacturer. i.e Samsung, LG, Apple. The best ones I have found are Official Raspberry Pi PSUs.

Personally I prefer a charger that has a direct to the mains connection. I have been using a 2 Bay Efest Soda for well over a year and it has been very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom