What's new

Recommend me - Battery and charger for SVD?

i fought this battle in my mind for ages, i was going to go with the xtar wp2 and an xtar battery, but they had the efest biocharger and batteries at vaperstall when i went at the weekend so i grabbed one of them an an 18650, so that should do the trick for me (the only real reason i wanted the xtar was the usb output feature, but it turns out the efest has that too)

Is this the charger you bought? Seem good for the price if it is. I notice there are big differences in the Mah of the 18650 batteries available, is there any reason not to buy a 3000mah over a 2000mah battery?

Now for us what this means is, that if you are using an electronic device (typically VV or VW) that has protection circuitry built into the device (such as a Vamo) then you want to be using unprotected batteries.
If you are using a mechanical mod that has none of this fancy electronic trickery then you want to be using a protected battery.

Does that mean you cannot use a protected battery in an electronic device or just that unprotected are cheaper and the protection is only necessary in a mechanical device?

Some people have found that the protection of the battery kicks in when using them in a protected device, meaning the device simply wont fire when you press the button. These devices are "regulated" ie they will try to draw a constant current. When you use a battery the volts steadily drops off, the electronics make them put out a constant volts rather than dropping off through the charge. These regulated devices often have protection circuitry in the as well.

Protection is good, protection is your friend, especially with Li-ion batteries. so if the device isnt protected, then use protected batteries. If the device is protected use unprotected batteries. If charging batteries, use a decent charger (there is no way the charger that came with my Vamo is ever getting plugged in to the electric).

The last batteries I bought were Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh unprotected & cost £17.49 inc delivery. They are now £19.99 plus delivery.
Yet the Efest 3400 mAh Protected (which is the same panasonic cell inside but with protection & a nipple on top) cost me £21.49 incl delivery at the same time from the same place.

I think it just depends on where you get them from, in theory unprotected should be cheaper because the protection bit is an added component.

Last edited:
That is a very commendable explanation Ssscrudddy and I myself have the Nitecore i4 intelligent charger I feel it is THE best charger out there certainly for its price... I was going to suggest this battery charger to MightyMouth for many reasons.. besides capable of charging many variation of batts simultaneously or individually ie: Li-ion (our mod batteries) as well as Ni-Mh & Ni-cD which are day to day standard re-chargeable batteries AA AAA and even C batteries (standard round ones) etc. for you home use Tv remotes, appliances etc.
THIS charger can charge ANYTHING thats rechargeable basically. It can charge a 18650 a 14500 and a standard AA Tv remote battery simultaneously as it auto recognizes the type inserted, then simply does what a charger is for, and charge.

It is foolproof and easy to use, being a 4 slot charger therfore makes charging several batts at once a breeze, with the spring slots much simpler than losing or using spacers, single or multiples can be charged at the same time.. any slot can be used to charge, but slots 1 & 3 then 2 & 4 charge alternate pulsing which means to say they charge in synchrony ie pulse slot 1 and 3 and then 2 and 4 like a heartbeat if all slots ( x4 batteries) are being used, it makes charging a tad slower if charging multiple batteries by reducing the charge rate by half, but in saying this, the charge rate of this unit is faster anyway than most chargers.

I can charge a couple of 18650's in a hour or less or 4 batteries of different shapes/size, I have heard of some chargers that can take around 6-7 hours :eeek: .
The i4 charge rate is done at a rate of output is 750Mah. when charging 4 at once that charge rate is halved to 375mah but still doesn't take long.

Each of the slots monitor and charge independently and with reverse polarity ie: (fool proof) even if batts are put in back to front its safe and just flashes without charging (intelligent).

It is universal, compact, versatile using mains power OR the supplied 12v (cigarette lighter) cable included. I swear by mine.

Hers is a link but it is available most anywhere including some of out vaping vendor sites... this is just a link i have and i think its about the cheapest price I know of, the battery prices are pretty good too.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batter...licharge-i4-li-ion-ni-mh-battery-charger.html

I hope this helps Mighty and not confusing.

Last edited:
Is this the charger you bought? Seem good for the price if it is. I notice there are big differences in the Mah of the 18650 batteries available, is there any reason not to buy a 3000mah over a 2000mah battery?

Mah simply means longer life as it holds more power so its expected an 18650 2000mah will last for less running time than the same size 18650 of 3000mah. But in saying that, many are advertised but don't actually deliver the said outputs .

Here is a scale of tested outputs to give an idea on outputs.and there True capacity.

Just as an example you can see that the bottom listed/tested Ultrafire 2400mah when tested only actually had an output of around 1250mah.
The batteries to the top of the chart clearly show that they hold true capacities or at least close to the advertised rating.

Best and Top quality with Ultra High and True Capacity.jpeg ;)

Thanks Micky and Ssscrudddy, that is a lot to think about and it seems if I want decent stuff I have to spend loadsa dosh which I was hoping to avoid.

yeah thats the one, seems to do the job well enough for me, spacers, car charger and even an iphone cable included (not that ill ever have use for that, i hate iphones!)

Back
Top Bottom