What's new

Re: Easy Howitzer button fix

vaperdog

Postman
Basically, there are two rubber bungs on the howitzer, one above and one below the button.
Remove these and there is a small phillips screw under each.
Remove the screws
Carefully open the control unit. Nothing will fall out, but there are two short wires which connect the switch to the pcb in the other part, be careful not to pull these or you will have to solder them back !
All i did then was place the two halves down, so the 'guts' and switch are facing upwards, place a saucer underneath the switch half and pour vinegar over the switch.
Then i got my 1ml blunt syringe, sucked up vinegar off the saucer and made sure i got vinegar right into the switch, did that 5 or 6 times then let it 'soak' for 10-15 mins.
Then move the two parts somewhere warm to dry. I put mine on a dry saucer to make it easy to pick up n put down and walk about with it.
Let it dry for at least an hour.
Reassemble the control unit, should work like new again. Mine is :)

Ok, i'm posting this because my gs-sub Howitzer recently became a 'Frustrator'
About a week ago the button started to play up, it was either not firing, firing intermittently, only firing if the button was pushed in a certain direction, switching itself off etc.
A very common problem with these mods but strangely i havent been able to find a fix on the interweb thingy.
These howitzers have a bad rep because of this button problem, but when they are working, they work great and i like mine so wanted to get it working again.
I asked Lee (POTV member Ethelking) about it and he gave me a link to the fix for LT's with the same problem.
The problem is caused by oxidation of the metal used in the switch. When a current passes through the two contact points, it causes oxidation which builds up and eventually causes mis-fires etc, basically because its cheap metal used to make the switch.
The solution is to clean the switch with 'contact cleaner'. I used vinegar, does the same thing, coke works too 
It is only temporary, but to do this on the Howitzer is so easy, quick and cheap, i think its worth it to get it going again. You may need to do this once a month, i myself will be replacing the button with a better one soon as i can.

Useful advice for LT and Howitzer owners. Thanks again ;)

I'm waiting on getting a new mod soon, imotion2 V+ probably. kms keeping us all in suspenders i think, she knows how to work an audience i reckon ?? :)
But when i do get a new mod my howitzer will be my no1 mod for stealth. with an 18350 on it it's quite small. Fits in the palm of my hand.
It nearly ended up in pieces and in the bin a few times, so thanks Lee for your help pointing me in the right direction.
If anyone has one of these mods, the best thing is to put a new switch in. Thats not difficult to do either.
I

My new phone will be here tomorrow so I will be able to get some better video than what my webcam does :) it is a really good mod

Been reading lots of good things about it. Most important thing to me - good quality button :)

Just need to add one more thing.
This is for information only. I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your howitzer if you were to attempt this.

Ok, forget the vinegar thing, it did work, but only for about a day b4 it started playing up again.
What i have had to do is open the control unit, take the switch out by desoldering the two wires and removing the glue that holds the switch in place with a stanley blade.
Then take the switch apart and clean the contact points. I still used vinegar coz it eats through all the muck and it'll then wipe clean just with a cloth.
Reassemble it, pop it back in and solder the wires back. Screw the unit back together and thats it.
Start to finish it only took 15mins.
Shouldnt have to do it though, and its a shame this poor quality switch lets the howitzer down and will inevitably, over time, depending on usage, make it unusable. In my case about 5 weeks.
I cant speak for LT's, never owned one but i think they are a sealed unit ?
I will still be replacing this switch with a good one soon as i've found the right one then i got a reliable howitzer. Probably spoke to soon there and gave myself the kiss of death :)

Back
Top Bottom