What's new

Question for some experienced vapers regarding builds + flavour..

Is it coils you made or bought in a box?

Are you carefully strumming out the hot spots on every type of Clapton or contact coil?

Is wick tight but not super tight?

All these will cause popping and spitting if ignored, and some prebuilt coils are really bad for spitting

Building does take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it is worthwhile

I think most of us had troubles of some sort at one point, but practice makes perfect

Hi @Laurie1992 I have an OBS Engine 25mm and a nano rta and they are both pretty good on flavour if wicked properly.
Try wicking it fairly tight and cut the ends short so they just sit on the juice holes, then thin the ends out quite a lot as this helps with wicking. I find with the nano it needs a slightly bigger coil 3.5mm id and the regular engine 2.5 id is fine. I’ve also had muted flavour from both of these and my kf5 clone, which I put down to wicking as the next time I rewicked the flavour is there.
Sometimes your in a rush and think oh that’ll do, but then rewick a few hours later because there was no flavour.
Hope you get it going as the flavour is great compared to a sub ohm tank. (Mind you, I haven’t used a stock coil tank in quite a while so they may of improved since my cleito).

Hi Everyone!

So sorry for the late reply but I really appreciate all the replies and am always amazed at how everyone wants to help here - my excuse is I posted this just before we went on holiday and we had the worst wifi in the world (as you do!) so spent the time relaxing instead and didn't mess about with any building coils lol.

Anyway, In regards to your replies I have researched this topic a little bit and feel like I have already endeavoured to try most of the suggestions. Nevertheless, I bought some premium pre-made alien claptons from a guy who was recommended to me and thought I would do a fresh build.

I decided to do a fresh build with any tips I gathered, I couldn't put any less cotton in between them or else they would not be touching the coils as there is only a little bit of friction when I pull it about. I thinned out the ends loads with my tweezers and the strands come down almost in line with the top of the juice well.

I also fired up my coils beforehand and they heated perfectly from the inside out, no spots or marks on them at all and actually that stopped some of the popping.

Now to make a true comparison, I put a fresh coil in my wotofo flow tank and have been using them both for a couple of days now. The wotofo: lovely pure tasting strawberry cream vape with no aftertaste and really nothing I could complain about as usual. The troll however, tastes metallicy (if that's a word) tastes of strawberry but a different kind that I really don't see how anyone would enjoy (all four of my housemates completely agree with me too)

Also I thought it worth mentioning that when I fire and vape it, it continues to fizz up to 5 seconds after I release the fire button, is that normal?

SIDE NOTE: THE PICTURE WITH THE COTTON ALREADY WICKED IS THE OLD BUILD THAT ORIGINALLY MADE ME WRITE THIS POST :)

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated! am about to pretty much shelf rta's for the rest of my life!

Thanks! L
IMG_2403.JPG
IMG_2404.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    640.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 39
The after fizz is where it’s still cooling down so they may be made from Kanthal. Maybe try some stainless steel coils they heat up and down quicker and have a cleaner taste and I would also try a little more cotton they look a little loose to me.

OK. I'm going to say that those coils are too big for that deck, they need to be about 2.5mm ID for that size of deck, they're also too loosley wrapped and there's not enough cotton in them, they could do with being closer to the posts and lower down towards the airholes as well...
Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
I am with Tubby , those coils are too big . Needs a smaller build in there . And from what I have learned over many builds in many different drippers using all kinds of wire and cotton , the most crucial thing for flavour is airflow . Get the balance of air volume to vapour right and the flavour appears . You want the air to have a way to circulate all round the coils , those big coils will be preventing that .

Coils are too big and I would also say the wrapping wire looks way too thick to my eyes. Go get yourself some nice fused captons with 26 or 28 awg inner wire and a 38 or 40 awg wrap. It's fizzling for so long afterwards beause it's taking way too long to cool down which means it's probably also taking way too long to heat up as well. Which means the heating coefficient of the inner and outer wire is probably off. Cheaper crappier coils use thicker wrapping wire because it's easier to make. The best coils I've used are always wrapped in 38 or 40 awg.

Last edited:
Looking at that tank on fasttech id say @Tubbyengineer 's nailed it and looking at the picture your coils will be touching the deck cover/cap.
This is why it will be taking so long to heat up and cool down.
As also said the coils are too far away from the air holes and cos of the size of the coils nof much air will be able to circulate around the coils.

You guys rock, I'm gonna pop to the vape shop and try everything mentioned and report back later with my new build. In terms of coils though, should I build my own or should I buy some? and if so what am I looking for? Any links would be amazing - (seems to be a debate between kanthal and SS and do I not have to use tc with SS?)

Back
Top Bottom