What's new

Leaky sub ohm tanks! Help!

BlackCoffee

Postman
Hello fellow vapers. I am so fed up with my sub ohm tanks leaking! They leak at the bottom, seems to be through the air holes. Now, I have tried and tried to solve this problem. I have done the following:

• Always fill up the e liquid with the air holes closed
  • Do not overfill the tanks
  • Take the tanks apart every couple of days, wipe coil with kitchen roll, rinse out tank with water, dry it and reassemble
  • Do not lie the device down so e liquid can spill out
I have 2 mods:

SIGELEI Vr2 50W and a WISMEC one.

I also have 2 Smok sticks: P25 and V9 .

I was mostly vaping the Wismec with the Smok P25 tank as it gave good clouds, but sometimes would use my Cleito Aspire tank.

The Wismec is currently in the vape shop for repair as the battery door has got loose so the vape guys are going to screw it tight as it kept stopping vaping ( batteries losing connection).

The P25 is also in the vape shop because although I had charged it, it was not vaping.

Yes, I've not had much luck lately have I!

The Smok p25 tank was forever leaking- and even more so when it was vaped on the stick than the Wismec.

I do have a Wismec tank but it is not a very good tank. Even though it gives a tasty vape, the coil only lasts a week and the top gets tight and hard to slide open to fill up.

So I got the V9 as a back up, in case the Wismec can't be fixed and it leaks leaks leaks! It even leaks when stood on the table and not being vaped!!! I just have given up with it.

So I have the Sigelei Mod with the Aspire Cleito mod for the main vape right now. It takes only one battery, and since I have 4 batteries now, and keep it plugged into my Chromebook when the battery starts to lose some charge it is doing the job. I got the Wismec because I was told a mod with one battery will lose charge quicker, and yes that was a problem when I only had one battery, but it's fine for me right now. Also, the Sigelei stays a lot cooler than the Wismec which had a tendency to get warm in my hand after vaping for a while. The Sigelei has big vents on its side which seems to be keeping it cool.

The Aspire does leak a bit now and again, but not a flood like the Smoks. Although it leaked far more when I used it on the Wismec.

But it doesn't give out as strong a vape as the Smoks, and not so flavourful- well not on the Wismec and Sigelei. When I still had its battery ( K9 I think) it did but the K9 died.

I gET various e liquids, 3 or 6mg eliquid, 70/30 or 80/20 if I can get it.

So what the heck is the problem?

I dunno if I should return the V9 as it leaks that much it is just un - vapable. I got it from Vape UK.

https://vapeuk.co.uk/collections/sub-ohm-kits/products/smok-stick-v9-kit

Hi. Do your coils leak in say the first week of use? Often an older coil will start to weep then leak as its near or at it's end. A coil in a tank left to sit for a couple of days can do that too. You can if you have a tank/coil that is prone to that get a tissue and hold it around the bases air vents then blow through the top to get it out at the start of each day after it's sat over night. Its more than likely accumulating over night as it sits. Some tanks leak less though and some not at all. I have a top air flow tank from Advken called the Owl. Its a bit restricted on the air flow but will never leak and I use it when I go out in my car for fishing or trips where altitude changes can cause pressure build up making a tank leak. My new favourite is the Nabboo tank with .18 coils. Its bottom air flow but its not shown a hint of a leak. If you push your coils though on just about any tank beyond the use by date, meaning its reasonable useable life maybe a bit over a week or two with most, then your gonna get leaks. The cotton once packed tight now loosens a bit allowing juice to flow through it. Dont forget to check the seals for damage. Many top sliders the seal will wear from repeated friction and it takes just the smallest vacuum loss to get a leak happening. Some things to think about.

Hey Tazz thanks for the reply. Yes the Smok coils leak in the first week- in fact that V9 was leaking big time from the first fill up as I mentioned above. The very first few minutes! So it's not an old coil issue. In fact, this Aspire Cleito I'm vaping on the Sigelei mod is about 3 weeks old and not leaking that much, just a trickle now and again.

Believe me I do the tissue thing- I used a whole toilet roll on that V9 Smok yesterday!!!

I've given up on it. But the annoying thing is I cannot return it now cos you can't return vaping kits if you have used them, so I guess this one is for the recycling bin.

I know about the seals- got the P25 Smok looked at in the vape shop and the guys said all the seals are tight. It's a relatively new tank- got it about 3 months ago ( P25 Smok kit).

When you wrote:

"Many top sliders the seal will wear from repeated friction and it takes just the smallest vacuum loss to get a leak happening" do you mean the slide open tanks where you fill them instead of unscrewing the drip tip?

I did look there as did the vape shop. And anyway the V9 is brand new- it only arrived on Wednesday morning!

I might have to get the Aspire pro tank- read it has enhanced flavour than the regular Aspires. It would prob work on the Sigelei if I keep to 0.5 ohms on the coil. As for the Wismec it would work on that ( hopefully the vape guys in the vape shop can fix the battery door tight- the manager seemed pretty confident he could).

I might have to ditch the Smoks. I was reading other threads and other vapers find they leak as well.

And the vape man in the shop said I had best get 80/20 liquids. He knows all about the leaking issues I have. I mention it a lot. He said thicker VG means less leaking.

P.S Don't think we can get Nabboo tanks over here.

Hey Tazz thanks for the reply. Yes the Smok coils leak in the first week- in fact that V9 was leaking big time from the first fill up as I mentioned above. The very first few minutes! So it's not an old coil issue. In fact, this Aspire Cleito I'm vaping on the Sigelei mod is about 3 weeks old and not leaking that much, just a trickle now and again.

Believe me I do the tissue thing- I used a whole toilet roll on that V9 Smok yesterday!!!

I've given up on it. But the annoying thing is I cannot return it now cos you can't return vaping kits if you have used them, so I guess this one is for the recycling bin.

I know about the seals- got the P25 Smok looked at in the vape shop and the guys said all the seals are tight. It's a relatively new tank- got it about 3 months ago ( P25 Smok kit).

When you wrote:

"Many top sliders the seal will wear from repeated friction and it takes just the smallest vacuum loss to get a lsok happening" do you mean the slide open tanks where you fill them instead of unscrewing the drip tip?

I did look there as did the vape shop. And anyway the V9 is brand new- it only arrived on Wednesday morning!

I might have to get the Aspire pro tank- read it has enhanced flavour than the regular Aspires. It would prob work on the Sigelei if I keep to 0.5 ohms on the coil. As for the Wismec it would work on that ( hopefully the vape guys in the vape shop can fix the battery door tight- the manager seemed pretty confident he could).

I might have to ditch the Smoks. I was reading other threads and other vapers find they leak as well.

And the vape man in the shop said I had best get 80/20 liquids. He knows all about the leaking issues I have. I mention it a lot. He said thicker VG means less leaking.

P.S Don't think we can get Nabboo tanks over here.
Hi, yes the top slide open to fill tanks. The Voopoo T2 has a little raised lip around its seal and as its opened and closed the tip of the tanks sliding section nips at it each time its closed. Eventually a tiny bit breaks off rendering the tank a leaker. Some just from the continual opening and closing do so, my wife's Scion 2 started leaking a while back and it was the seal for the fill section had worn out. Have a few spare Scions so changed it over. Some tanks come with spare fill seals, some don't and when they are damaged or worn they are bin jobs. I personally prefer screw tops and have found a number of slides to be either messy around the edges or some stupidly hard to fill to the point of ridiculous with overflows happening from lack of decent downwards juice flow. The Innokin Plex is one of those ridiculous ones and a total fail as far as its slide fill system. The Owl can be tricky till you get to know it but after that no real problem. Im not sure though it would be suited to high vg mixes though, too viscous and slow draining id think. I diy my juice at mostly 65/35 vg,pg sometimes in summer going up to 70 vg for a tank I might be using outdoors. Leaking in the first week or few days though if the tanks are all good is pretty lousy these days and shows lack of quality or manufacturing issues. I couldn't put up with that.
Ask the guys and gals here what they use in the same wattage range and juice preferences that give the type of vape you like that dont have those leak issues. Youll get some good help and recommendations for sure. They don't all here use what I do and like so my recommendations are probably a bit limited. Im in Australia too so what's readily available to me may not be elsewhere. Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbup:

This is why I switched exclusively to top airflow tanks and rta's. I've had 3 or 4 now and never had a problem with leaking. Apart from when I dropped my Zeus x and knocked something loose.

I only get leaks when the tank has been unused for a day or so, then the juice gets bored and looks for the easiest escape route which is through the air vents.

Other than that it sounds like seals if it's happening all the time.

Hello fellow vapers. I am so fed up with my sub ohm tanks leaking! They leak at the bottom, seems to be through the air holes. Now, I have tried and tried to solve this problem. I have done the following:

• Always fill up the e liquid with the air holes closed
  • Do not overfill the tanks
  • Take the tanks apart every couple of days, wipe coil with kitchen roll, rinse out tank with water, dry it and reassemble
  • Do not lie the device down so e liquid can spill out
I have 2 mods:

SIGELEI Vr2 50W and a WISMEC one.

I also have 2 Smok sticks: P25 and V9 .

I was mostly vaping the Wismec with the Smok P25 tank as it gave good clouds, but sometimes would use my Cleito Aspire tank.

The Wismec is currently in the vape shop for repair as the battery door has got loose so the vape guys are going to screw it tight as it kept stopping vaping ( batteries losing connection).

The P25 is also in the vape shop because although I had charged it, it was not vaping.

Yes, I've not had much luck lately have I!

The Smok p25 tank was forever leaking- and even more so when it was vaped on the stick than the Wismec.

I do have a Wismec tank but it is not a very good tank. Even though it gives a tasty vape, the coil only lasts a week and the top gets tight and hard to slide open to fill up.

So I got the V9 as a back up, in case the Wismec can't be fixed and it leaks leaks leaks! It even leaks when stood on the table and not being vaped!!! I just have given up with it.

So I have the Sigelei Mod with the Aspire Cleito mod for the main vape right now. It takes only one battery, and since I have 4 batteries now, and keep it plugged into my Chromebook when the battery starts to lose some charge it is doing the job. I got the Wismec because I was told a mod with one battery will lose charge quicker, and yes that was a problem when I only had one battery, but it's fine for me right now. Also, the Sigelei stays a lot cooler than the Wismec which had a tendency to get warm in my hand after vaping for a while. The Sigelei has big vents on its side which seems to be keeping it cool.

The Aspire does leak a bit now and again, but not a flood like the Smoks. Although it leaked far more when I used it on the Wismec.

But it doesn't give out as strong a vape as the Smoks, and not so flavourful- well not on the Wismec and Sigelei. When I still had its battery ( K9 I think) it did but the K9 died.

I gET various e liquids, 3 or 6mg eliquid, 70/30 or 80/20 if I can get it.

So what the heck is the problem?

I dunno if I should return the V9 as it leaks that much it is just un - vapable. I got it from Vape UK.

https://vapeuk.co.uk/collections/sub-ohm-kits/products/smok-stick-v9-kit
I say this openly, i think it is the tanks you have had that may be the issue. Certainly mpst of the ones you have mentioned aren't much more than a kit tank at best and ones that didn't sell very well.

In terms of the cleito leaking, how is it doing that? From the airholes?

I find in my experience that tanks don't really leak for me. I have had a couple of recent experiences that they have but not long standing issues, my most recent seemed to stop after leaving it to prime.

Perhaps to remove leaking issues completely then consider some of the new push in coil tanks, the crown 4/voopoo maat/smok tf to name a few. I have encountered no leaking whatsoever from them because the coil forms a seal inside the tank with the airholes sitting underneath them. They vape around 70w , the crown 4 with the mesh coil (highly recommend over the ones in the box) can be nice at around 68w so not too much over what you are used to using.

But on the whole, tanks i find don't leak, even the standard screw in design ones. What sort of wattage do you ideally want to be at? It might make it easier for someone to suggest a fantastic one at that range. My experience with tanks sounds like they will be over what you want but someone else may be able to help if i can't.

That for me may be a solution for your own peace of mind. Plus if you wanted a low powered sub ohm tank then the Aspire Tigon is completely leakproof, but you would be looking around 25w for that DL style.

This is why I switched exclusively to top airflow tanks and rta's. I've had 3 or 4 now and never had a problem with leaking. Apart from when I dropped my Zeus x and knocked something loose.

Oh do you mean that rebuildable thing? That's too technical for me lol.

"I say this openly, i think it is the tanks you have had that may be the issue. Certainly most of the ones you have mentioned aren't much more than a kit tank at best and ones that didn't sell very well."

You are spot on about the Smoks- I tried it again tonight- took it apart, cleaned it all well and refilled it and now it not only leaks at the bottom but e liquid was coming up through the mouthpiece!

I am calling Vape UK and telling them I am sending it back to them. If they refuse me a refund then I am binning it as it is useless. Will have just lose the money. It is the WORST kit I have ever had, no kidding.

"In terms of the cleito leaking, how is it doing that? From the airholes? "

Yes, now and again, but very little in comparison to the Smoks. In fact the Cleito coil is funky now as I need a new one, which I will get tomorrow morning but I have to vape it as the Smok is un- vapable. You know a tank is shit when you have to vape another one with a funky coil.

"Perhaps to remove leaking issues completely then consider some of the new push in coil tanks, the crown 4/voopoo maat/smok tf to name a few. I have encountered no leaking whatsoever from them because the coil forms a seal inside the tank with the airholes sitting underneath them. They vape around 70w , the crown 4 with the mesh coil (highly recommend over the ones in the box) can be nice at around 68w so not too much over what you are used to using. "

Just found the voopoo here:
https://vaping101.co.uk/collections/beginner-tank/products/voopoo-maat-sub-ohm-tank

I think that would not work on my Sigelei as that only goes to 50 watts. Anyways I tend to vape between 37 and 40, especially on the Wismec as higher than 40 and the thing gets too hot.

Here is my Sigelei:
https://www.ukecigstore.com/products/sigelei-50w-box-mod

This is my Wismec:

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/wismec-rx-gen3-dual-mod-with-2-x-batteries

I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the vape shop after work if he fixed it.

"But on the whole, tanks i find don't leak, even the standard screw in design ones. What sort of wattage do you ideally want to be at? It might make it easier for someone to suggest a fantastic one at that range. My experience with tanks sounds like they will be over what you want but someone else may be able to help if i can't."

Well, as I wrote above, I tend to vape at 37- 45 because any higher than that I find the device gets too hot and the vape is also too hot and strong for me. I like a cool, airy vape.

I've sometimes gone up to 50 on the Wismec but after while, just too hot, so I go back to 40.

"That for me may be a solution for your own peace of mind. Plus if you wanted a low powered sub ohm tank then the Aspire Tigon is completely leakproof, but you would be looking around 25w for that DL style."

i just looked that up:
https://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk/aspire-tigon-e-cig-kit-and-e-liquid.html

Aha- thanks for the heads up- this might just be the ticket as it does both sub Ohm and usual vapes! Which is good for me as I have a friend who visits who hates my big clouds so I then have to get my piddly Endura out, and same when I visit my mother. Not that keen on the Endura ( even though it was ace at the time it got me off the smokes in 2017)- not much flavour. So I could MTL with it when required. ( I do have a MTL Aspire tank never used yet, maybe it would work on the Sigelei---)

I'm thinking its tank might work on the Sigelei and the Wismec as well.

The cleito coils in my Aspire tank are 0.5, and the Tigon is 0.4 so very similar.

I think the Smok P25 coils are 0.17 which would explain why my Smok will not work on the Sigelei! Works on the Wismec though. It does leak as I said quite often, but not as much as that new V9! That thing just runs like a tap.

I could not imagine vaping higher than 50- it would blow my head off lol.

Last edited:
I only get leaks when the tank has been unused for a day or so, then the juice gets bored and looks for the easiest escape route which is through the air vents.

Other than that it sounds like seals if it's happening all the time.

Can't be all of them surely? That would suggest a serious design flaw with the Smoks. The Aspire is the best one out of the lot, not much leaking and only a bit now and again, not a flood.

PS Love your sign in name- very witty!

Back
Top Bottom