What's new

GeekVape Zeus X Mesh RTA

Well, see, I don't know what too much cotton is. I haven't had an RTA previous to the Zeus X Mesh and the Unity, so no normal coils for me yet. Although it's in my bucket list, I just don't know which one to get. I'm open to suggestions.

As for the power, this juice I like at 55W. 50W is a bit meh, 60 makes it taste harsh. 55 is the sweet spot. Even on the Unity, where I can push the power without burning the cotton, it's not good at higher wattages. Unlike that Dinner Lady one, which I've sadly ran out of.

And speaking of it, I still get a slight hotspot on the edge if I take a longer hit. Screw it, I'll try again with another cotton, this is getting tiresome.
Been watching your posts and its interesting to see you learning.
You also look like you're getting enough cotton in there now.
The answer to knowing what too much cotton is ...... It's actually really hard to get enough cotton in there that it becomes too much which should give you more of an idea.
Anyways look at the way ive chopped my cotton in this post.
Cutting it like this let's plenty of juice through which will allow you to ramp the power up higher without dry hits.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/posts/2228556

Been watching your posts and its interesting to see you learning.
You also look like you're getting enough cotton in there now.
The answer to knowing what too much cotton is ...... It's actually really hard to get enough cotton in there that it becomes too much which should give you more of an idea.
Anyways look at the way ive chopped my cotton in this post.
Cutting it like this let's plenty of juice through which will allow you to ramp the power up higher without dry hits.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/posts/2228556
Hi and thanks man!

I've managed to cram too much cotton in there a couple of times. Wasn't easy to do, it's kind of obvious when it's too much. The wick slots are choke full of cotton and there's even more cotton waiting to be tucked in. You get no flavor, nada, just cotton. Been there, done that, wasn't pleasant.

I've followed that post of yours completely. Both on how to Dremel the posts to fit NexMesh (quite proud of the result, really, I'll post pics next time I replace my coils) and the wicking. At one point I had a wick that I could push 70W with no problem, but since then I've failed time and time again. I'll find the secret at some point. As I said, I hope it's cotton better suited for the job.

The thing I've found with mesh, if you think you have too much cotton, you probably still don't have enough.

@tolis626 That's the truth, right there, but don't confuse too much cotton in your wick slots, with too much cotton through the coil.There is a big difference, you cant have too much cotton going through a mesh coil but you can have too much in the wick channels, that's where this shit gets tricky. Pull a shit load of cotton through your coil, even if you think it will distort your mesh wick - it won't, then use the "dam wick method", you are tucking cotton into the very top of the wick channels, not going in deep ( reserve that for the sex).

Last edited:
Hi and thanks man!

I've managed to cram too much cotton in there a couple of times. Wasn't easy to do, it's kind of obvious when it's too much. The wick slots are choke full of cotton and there's even more cotton waiting to be tucked in. You get no flavor, nada, just cotton. Been there, done that, wasn't pleasant.

I've followed that post of yours completely. Both on how to Dremel the posts to fit NexMesh (quite proud of the result, really, I'll post pics next time I replace my coils) and the wicking. At one point I had a wick that I could push 70W with no problem, but since then I've failed time and time again. I'll find the secret at some point. As I said, I hope it's cotton better suited for the job.
I mean getting as much cotton in the mesh as possible and very little in the wicking slots.
All i do is tease the bottom fibres in the wicking slots and thats it.
Also look how short my wick is - It's so short theres almost no cotton left to tuck into the wick slots.

Look at the difference @tolis626

Yours...............

20201208_192611.jpg

Mine.....................

20200603_171022 (2).jpg

@tolis626 That's the truth, right there, but don't confuse too much cotton in your wick slots, with too much cotton through the coil.There is a big difference, you cant have too much cotton going through a mesh coil but you can have too much in the wick channels, that's where this shit gets tricky. Pull a shit load of cotton through your coil, even if you think it will distort your mesh wick - it won't, then use the "dam wick method", you are tucking cotton into the very top of the wick channels, not going in deep ( reserve that for the sex).
This^^^^^^^^

I don't cram all the wick into the slots, I learned that early on. And I learned the bad way, it was my first experience with mesh dry hit. What I meant was that I tried to use so much that it wouldn't fit into the slots unless I trimmed the top half and raked it at the bottom. I'm never making the mistake of stuffing the wicking slots with too much cotton. NEVER. Although, to be fair, the times I managed to get too much cotton under the mesh (following the "get as much as you can under there" guideline) I would first put the cotton on the ceramic block, compress it with my fingers and then slot the mesh on top of it. The amount of cotton I used at those times wouldn't have fit otherwise, I would've pulled the mesh off the base. It may have been over a whole strip of Cotton Gods. Oops.
I mean getting as much cotton in the mesh as possible and very little in the wicking slots.
All i do is tease the bottom fibres in the wicking slots and thats it.
Also look how short my wick is - It's so short theres almost no cotton left to tuck into the wick slots.
I used to do it exactly like you, I used your post as a template. Either I messed up somewhere else in the process or something is off with my cotton, but I had the same problems I have now. That's why I tried the same thing andi52 showed, with a little longer tails. Made no difference, really. It wasn't THAT much of a difference in lenght either. The difference in what I did is that with your method I used the wick slot's wall as a guide for my scissors, whereas with andi's I used the base of the deck.
I'm also done blaming Cotton Gods because I've ran out. If you guys see me complaining about Cotton Bacon Prime, Wotofo or the Japanese pad stuff, remind me that I'm the problem please. :D

I don't cram all the wick into the slots, I learned that early on. And I learned the bad way, it was my first experience with mesh dry hit. What I meant was that I tried to use so much that it wouldn't fit into the slots unless I trimmed the top half and raked it at the bottom. I'm never making the mistake of stuffing the wicking slots with too much cotton. NEVER. Although, to be fair, the times I managed to get too much cotton under the mesh (following the "get as much as you can under there" guideline) I would first put the cotton on the ceramic block, compress it with my fingers and then slot the mesh on top of it. The amount of cotton I used at those times wouldn't have fit otherwise, I would've pulled the mesh off the base. It may have been over a whole strip of Cotton Gods. Oops.

I used to do it exactly like you, I used your post as a template. Either I messed up somewhere else in the process or something is off with my cotton, but I had the same problems I have now. That's why I tried the same thing andi52 showed, with a little longer tails. Made no difference, really. It wasn't THAT much of a difference in lenght either. The difference in what I did is that with your method I used the wick slot's wall as a guide for my scissors, whereas with andi's I used the base of the deck.
I'm also done blaming Cotton Gods because I've ran out. If you guys see me complaining about Cotton Bacon Prime, Wotofo or the Japanese pad stuff, remind me that I'm the problem please. :D
You'll get there..."cough" wotofo xfibre "cough"

Look up how to wick the Profile Unity on Youtube. This is how i wick mine and i have zero issues. I leave the tails long enough so that they protrude into the base of the juice wells so they wick every time. I had a couple of experiences at first where they were not long enough, so there would always be an air pocket at the bottom of the wicking port, which in turn led to dry/burnt hits cos it wasn't flowing.

Tails past the wicking pors for me works like a charm and haven't had a dry/burnt hit since

You'll get there..."cough" wotofo xfibre "cough"
Tomorrow hopefully. Let's see if that's the thing I'm missing.
Look up how to wick the Profile Unity on Youtube. This is how i wick mine and i have zero issues. I leave the tails long enough so that they protrude into the base of the juice wells so they wick every time. I had a couple of experiences at first where they were not long enough, so there would always be an air pocket at the bottom of the wicking port, which in turn led to dry/burnt hits cos it wasn't flowing.

Tails past the wicking pors for me works like a charm and haven't had a dry/burnt hit since
That was among the first things I tried. It works, like many other methods. I kept having the same issues as now, though. When I wick the Unity I have on hand everything goes perfectly, so it's something with the Zeus. It's picky.

Back
Top Bottom