What's new

Erm, help.

The coils are coilology fused Claptons and not spaced, should I space them? They looked fine, no hot spots when I pulsed them. I think the wick was too long, I think also I wasn't vaping at the wrong wattage for good flavour. I went up as far as I could go on my little mod (75w) and the flavour improved. I've just ordered a mod that goes to 11, sorry, 220w so should see improvement again. As for the juice leak, I had the juice flow wide open so that may have contributed. It's a case of trial and error. The feedback here has been really useful and given me some good pointers. :)
All those things you said are factors. As we said yesterday.
No real need to space your coils. The photos yesterday showed they are ok.
Get your temp up to around 85, keep an eye on the juice flow. Boom, you're away!

IMAG0560_1.jpg

I wrap my own coils around a 3mm drill bit, they start out as tightly spaced as yours are but I stretch them out so they look like the picture. After trimming the leads and installing I heat them to burn off any oils and residues, then squeeze the ends together a bit so they are a bit more closely spaced, but never actually touching as to avoid shorts between the wraps.

Others may do things differently, I may be going overboard, but it works for me.

View attachment 240950

I wrap my own coils around a 3mm drill bit, they start out as tightly spaced as yours are but I stretch them out so they look like the picture. After trimming the leads and installing I heat them to burn off any oils and residues, then squeeze the ends together a bit so they are a bit more closely spaced, but never actually touching as to avoid shorts between the wraps.

Others may do things differently, I may be going overboard, but it works for me.

Worth experimenting. I'm new to these fellas so it's literally "suck it and see"

View attachment 240950

I wouldn't say overboard?
Each to their own I think.
I still believe that wicking whatever coil you use, is more important to get right, rather than coils being spaced or not.

The amount of people who have come to me with problems, and in most cases, the wicking is awful.

I don't like pre made coils, in a lot of cases as they seem to make my coils black very soon.
I have bought Clapton wire, same problems in some cases.
I make my own wire, purely so I can clean the core wire 1st, then wrap the outer, and then make my coils myself.

Still, all personal preference.

I wouldn't say overboard?
Each to their own I think.
I still believe that wicking whatever coil you use, is more important to get right, rather than coils being spaced or not.

The amount of people who have come to me with problems, and in most cases, the wicking is awful.

I don't like pre made coils, in a lot of cases as they seem to make my coils black very soon.
I have bought Clapton wire, same problems in some cases.
I make my own wire, purely so I can clean the core wire 1st, then wrap the outer, and then make my coils myself.

Still, all personal preference.
I find stretching them out like my picture makes all the spacing even, more than anything else. I don't have one of those fancy coil winding tools and using the flat core wire they can sometimes get a bit twisted which looks horrible.

Don't have the patience to make up my own wire and when a spool of premade clapton wire is as cheap as it is, I really don't feel the need to find the patience for it.

I find stretching them out like my picture makes all the spacing even, more than anything else. I don't have one of those fancy coil winding tools and using the flat core wire they can sometimes get a bit twisted which looks horrible.

Don't have the patience to make up my own wire and when a spool of premade clapton wire is as cheap as it is, I really don't feel the need to find the patience for it.
God no. 3mm screwdriver is all you need to wrap a coil.
I quite enjoy making my own wire. Plus the ability to clean the cores, always helps.

I only started making clapton wire about 18 months ago, something to do.
Now I supply coils to around 20 people, so must be doing something right!!??

I'll keep going, as long as my eyes hold out!!!!!

God no. 3mm screwdriver is all you need to wrap a coil.
I quite enjoy making my own wire. Plus the ability to clean the cores, always helps.

I only started making clapton wire about 18 months ago, something to do.
Now I supply coils to around 20 people, so must be doing something right!!??

I'll keep going, as long as my eyes hold out!!!!!
That's part of my problem, shit eyes and I get tendonitis in my hands and wrists so too much messing with wire and I'll be hating life for days afterwards.

That's part of my problem, shit eyes and I get tendonitis in my hands and wrists so too much messing with wire and I'll be hating life for days afterwards.
Oh sorry to hear that mate.
Indeed, it's the pressing of the drill that aches me!! :18:

Oh sorry to hear that mate.
Indeed, it's the pressing of the drill that aches me!! :18:
I didn't think about the holding of the trigger tbh, but yeah that would be uncomfortable and a few days of pain in the wrists.

I didn't think about the holding of the trigger tbh, but yeah that would be uncomfortable and a few days of pain in the wrists.
It can be quite painful.
I made 86 coils last week, none of which were for me.
That's s lot of wire tbh.
Not sure I'll be able to maintain that output.
Wrist hurt just from actually making the wire, before I even started wrapping coils.

Back
Top Bottom