What's new

Custard baby !

I managed to get hold of a bottle of the Accies Ambrosia concentrate a year or so ago, I can't remember where it was from but it was completely different, more of a generic custard DX than the original. That's the one I really want to try to DIY, the problem is I can barely remember what it tasted like which is an issue. The logo on the concentrate bottle I got was the same as one of the ones used by Ohm Brew for their Flavour Lab series and they're based in Belfast which is where Accies was made. I bet the Vanilla Custard that's on here is what was in the concentrate I got but if it had tasted like it at all I'm sure it would have kickstarted my memory like crazy as I used to get through loads of that stuff https://ohmbrew.uk/flavour-lab-premium-50ml-shortfills/

I asked the guy in one of our local vape shops if it was the same guys but he said no, I'm not sure though as he didn't strike me as being particularly knowledable or actually into vaping unlike the bloke who owned the shop who originally suggested Accies to me. He knew I liked custards and I remember thinking the flavour just sounded weird but he convinced me to try it and I absolutely loved it. I think it was rice pudding custard or something odd like that? I've looked at some recipes for rice pudding flavour so my plan is to get the custard base that I remember and then try adding the rice pudding bits one at a time. I'm pretty sure it used Capella Vanilla Custard V1 but it was overpowered by something else, the Rice Kripies type flavour doesn't seem strong enough so I'm wondering if it was something like Peach, definitely something you wouldn't expect I think but I don't think it should be all that complicated a recipe. I could have sworn Accies was originally one guy who was a memeber on here similar to how Grant started, there's bound to be someone who knows what was in it as from what I remember he was making and selling it himself when he just had that and rhubarb and custard. I never thought Grant's was all that great, it was nice for sure but nothing worth crazy money or waiting months for, my guess would be there was maybe a small amount of biscuit of some sort in it because after 5-6 weeks they can suddenly drasticaly change the flavour.

Edit : That just got me thinking too, the original recipe for Chef's Nice Custard Cream was one that would really change at about the 7 week period and the biscuit would be much stronger and mute the vanilla but not in a bad way. It developed a kind of almost smokey flavour to it so I wonder was one of the main ingredients in that RY4, I have one of the recipes with that and Capella VC steeping at the minute as I always assumed RY4 was tobacco only but maybe it's one of the main ingredients in getting Nice Custard Cream closer to the original. I've tried lots of different custards added to their current concentrate but so far nothing seems to have pushed it in the right direction but I think RY4 and Sugar Cookie might be good one to try next.

Last edited:
Prime Vapes do some of the best custards I've tried, although at £10 for 50ml with no nic shots it's too pricey for me at the rate I go through liquid.

Kangaroo Kustard Vanilla Custard Cookie is lovely too. Only £11.99 for 100ml from Vaping101.

EDIT: Another few I forgot about:

https://bristolvapes.co.uk/collections/the-custard-range

These are all excellent too ;)

I've done some more general asking around vape shops that seem to know what they're selling and there are a surprising number of people who have been there since back then to see it goe through all the changes. It seems the original plan was to keep on selling it under the Accies name but to do that it had to be worked around TPD because of the flavouring (diacetly I'm guessing, I definitely got the impression it was a custard specifically that was the issue but the guy never gave out his recipes obviously cos they were damn good). The company I assumed were what used to be Accies are totally seperate and must have come from when the orignal owner moved away from the e-liquid industry, most likely that's when I got that bottle of concentrate because if that was the best they could replicate it for him then there was obviously just no realy point, it just wasn't the same liquid anymore and chances are the base in the rhubard and cistard was simiiar. I'd forgotten they had some kind of citrus flavour too, I don't think I was a fan of it though. If anyone can remember what it tasted like or any liquid that has any similarities (even in the type of custard, eggy, sweet etc) then I'd say a pretty good clone of it could be done, it may even be that the ingredient that was the problem was an obscure one like the Devon Cream that is liste on Nicbrosia Custard but it urns out from another thread it's now sold under a different brand now and easy enough to get, for all I know it could be that exact one but it's meant to be arriving today so hopefully it's the key ingredient. It'll be a heavy diacetly one for sure, if they couldn't get close with the original actual recipe to work from then it's probably something uncommon but bloody strong. It might be easier to try going for the rhubarb and custard first since there's only so many variations of that you can really do before you'd eventually hit on the right one and work on the ratios of flavours from there, I'd bet then there''d only be a few ingredients between the two. I saw another liquid I recognised but had not idea was related in any way but it has enough little things in common that there's a good chance he'll have used what he knew worked so it should be posbbible to piece the original recipe fairly closely back together as it seems the real thing has just gone as it changed hands and they gave up trying to clone it properly while being TPD compliant. Thankfully we don't need to worry about TPD compliance and I'm testing each of the custards at the minute on their own as they steep so hopefully will recognise the right one when I find it.

Prime Vapes do some of the best custards I've tried, although at £10 for 50ml with no nic shots it's too pricey for me at the rate I go through liquid.

Kangaroo Kustard Vanilla Custard Cookie is lovely too. Only £11.99 for 100ml from Vaping101.

EDIT: Another few I forgot about:

https://bristolvapes.co.uk/collections/the-custard-range

These are all excellent too ;)
i bought 2 of the kangaroo but this new recepy is not a patch on the original and an all together different flavour. the original was much nicer with sort of the hundreds and thousands cake topping which made it stand out. new version not so much.

tub thumping are decent enough but the plain custard is the least liked out of the three. butterscotch and custard cream are really decent.

i bought 2 of the kangaroo but this new recepy is not a patch on the original and an all together different flavour. the original was much nicer with sort of the hundreds and thousands cake topping which made it stand out. new version not so much.

tub thumping are decent enough but the plain custard is the least liked out of the three. butterscotch and custard cream are really decent.

I never tried the original sadly, but I do really like the new one after a good steep.

Yeah the Butterscotch and Custard Cream are the definite standouts from TTB.

Always wanted to try Beaum but it will be a cold day in hell before I pay £15 for 50ml.

I've found that I like the sweeter, creamier custards as opposed to the rich, almost smokey variety.

That Grant's Custard shot has been there for years hasn't it? Siurely it can't possibly be "back" a it would it be illegal to sell the actual original when it was the amount of diacetyl in the flavours he used that was the problem. Suggeting it' the original recipe seems a bit dodgy ground to be on advertising wise becaue a lot of people will believe it genuinely it is when it's just not made anymore. If it's jist had flavours substituted it's effectively just the My Way one. Unicorn Milk has been available the same way and I can't see it having actually been Cuttwod's recipe except the supposed leaked one so they're not averse to just using other people's brand names. Any liquid still sitting about from back then would be completely black by now too if it was old stock.

That Grant's Custard shot has been there for years hasn't it? Siurely it can't possibly be "back" a it would it be illegal to sell the actual original when it was the amount of diacetyl in the flavours he used that was the problem. Suggeting it' the original recipe seems a bit dodgy ground to be on advertising wise becaue a lot of people will believe it genuinely it is when it's just not made anymore. If it's jist had flavours substituted it's effectively just the My Way one. Unicorn Milk has been available the same way and I can't see it having actually been Cuttwod's recipe except the supposed leaked one so they're not averse to just using other people's brand names. Any liquid still sitting about from back then would be completely black by now too if it was old stock.

Grants has been rereleased

See posts above

Yes but is it the actual same recipe? If it is then how has whoever has released it gotten around the legal limited TPD puts on diacetyl content for liquid intended for vaping that made Capella bring out all the new versions of Vanilla Custard and lots of other liquids gradually either turn different or vanish as they had to addapt the recipe to be allowed to sell it? That's exactly what happend to Accies Ambrosia. f it isn't his original recipe then imo it's not really Grant's, just another clone, if it is his original one then I don't get why he stopped in the first place as it wasn't actually a problem under TPD regulations.

I mean technically when I asked Chef's Flavours if Nice Custard Cream had changed recipe and they said no they were telling the truth, what they didn't say is they were using different versions of the same flavour which are effectively completley different ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom