What's new

Coil diameter effects flavour?

Homi576

Postman
Hay apes, I have built a coil at a 2mm diameter instead of my usual 3mm diameter and the flavour is considerably different and I don't understand how diameter of a coil would effect the flavour other than a thinner cut of cotton to be used.

Anyone else have any experience of this?

It can change the quality of the vape massively. It's to do with surface area of coil in contact with the wick, as well as heat up time - bit of a trade off between the two, I find. I generally build around 3mm but having said that, some of my best coils have been around a 2mm.

With 3mm I find the cotton wicks so much better. I struggled with the freakshow mini tho the coils are almost shorting on the deck/top cap. Gets hot super quick

I pretty much always build with a 2.5mm iD , for no other reason than it suits me, i go larger if i want to raise the resistance a little but squeezing in another wrap on some atties just isn't possible. It wont raise it much but sometimes is enough.

The fact your trying different things and noticing the difference good or bad is cool. Part of the fun really.

In theory, you'll have the same length of wire in contact with cotton whatever the diameter of the coil.

However, as the volume of the wick increases exponentially, you'll have a much larger wick with a bigger diameter coil relative to the same length of wire. This means, the larger the diameter of the coil, the more juice is held by the wick within the limits of the coil, despite the coil being shorter, so less chance of dry hits.

But, it's possible a longer, thinner coil will produce more flavour than a shorter, fatter one. I think I'll setup a couple of Kayfuns to test this out, after I've had a lie down.

In theory, you'll have the same length of wire in contact with cotton whatever the diameter of the coil.

However, as the volume of the wick increases exponentially, you'll have a much larger wick with a bigger diameter coil relative to the same length of wire. This means, the larger the diameter of the coil, the more juice is held by the wick within the limits of the coil, despite the coil being shorter, so less chance of dry hits.

But, it's possible a longer, thinner coil will produce more flavour than a shorter, fatter one. I think I'll setup a couple of Kayfuns to test this out, after I've had a lie down.

If you have a coil of the same resistance you'll have the same amount in contact with the wick - not if you have the same amount of wraps though.

If you have a coil of the same resistance you'll have the same amount in contact with the wick - not if you have the same amount of wraps though.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Increasing from 2.0mm diameter to 3.0mm diameter reduces the number of wraps by around 20-25% but doubles the area of the wick, effectively increasing the volume of the wick by around 50%.

Yes I should of mentioned the flavour is better, just pickled me because the thinner wick has less juice

I'm a fan of 2.5mm coils, I will go bigger (Ubertoot needs a lot of cotton) or smaller (for safety reasons / lack of space) only if the rta design demands it.

I've just started rebuilding recently so also experimenting. Done from 1mm up to 3.5 mm using different wicking methods.

I find the one working best for me just now is 2mm spaced which reads at 1.1 ohms. At 24 watts it's lovely.

If anyone has any wraps that have worked well for them let me know as always looking to try new methods :)

Back
Top Bottom