What's new

Cleaning SS Mech Tube

RWood

Hi all. Wondered if you could help as I can't seem to find any clear answers.

I have a Kennedy Vindicator 21700 (Stainless Steel) and have been cleaning it on a weekly basis.

I use brasso to clean it up (the rippable cloth in a tin), and it seems to do the job great.

I'm just relatively concerned as its abrasive, and since I'm cleaning It on a weekly basis, I'm worried it's gonna eventually wear my threads down.

So I suppose my questions are - is this possible? And if so, could you recommend a better product for cleaning up contacts and threads?

Thanks!

I only clean the switch on my Vindicator with brasso/metal polish/IPA - tube just goes in the ultrasonic periodically and a swab of the threads with IPA afterwards. Mine doesn't see a great deal of use, so only every couple of months or so - can always tell when it needs done as I get a barely even noticeable hot button.

I use the same brasso as you and finish with servisol super 10 swtch cleaning lubricant on the treads and contacts.
Copper and brass might need a weekly clean, that is why I gave up on them early on ss needs much less.

I do regularily use smpl and nemesis mechs with brass switch components, that have been cleaned with brasso for 5 years with no problems yet.

If all your threads and contacts are ss then you probably get away with a wipe down with isopropyl as mentioned above or contact cleaner .

I only clean the switch on my Vindicator with brasso/metal polish/IPA - tube just goes in the ultrasonic periodically and a swab of the threads with IPA afterwards. Mine doesn't see a great deal of use, so only every couple of months or so - can always tell when it needs done as I get a barely even noticeable hot button.

You must vape at lower res than me. Most mech users do.
As a low power vaper, I notice a reduction in power or poor contact if my mech really needs a clean.

You must vape at lower res than me. Most mech users do.
As a low power vaper, I notice a reduction in power or poor contact if my mech really needs a clean.
Pretty low on the Vindicator OHD (0.09 due to variance on the 0.1 target coils) I more notice a drop in performance when it needs the coils dryburned and rewicked as opposed to needing cleaned, in fact I thought I was imagining the teeny tiny bit of hot button before I gave it its first ever clean! No real noticeable drop off as such, compared to my daily mech squonk - I can tell when that needs cleaned!
I rarely use the Vindicator, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago now since the last bash, and it was just 3 or 4 puffs at the back door a couple of times per week and back in the cupboard for most of my ownership - given my current health with the pneumonia I'm planning on being completely off the vape by Hogmanay at the very latest, so as much as it pains me to let it go, the Vindicator will be in the classies as soon as I'm well enough to polish it up, take pics and be sure I can make it to the pistoffice!
The Kennedy 25 rda is going back on the Foggatti DNA200 and is going to be purely a display piece as it has huge sentimental value :)

Pretty low on the Vindicator OHD (0.09 due to variance on the 0.1 target coils) I more notice a drop in performance when it needs the coils dryburned and rewicked as opposed to needing cleaned, in fact I thought I was imagining the teeny tiny bit of hot button before I gave it its first ever clean! No real noticeable drop off as such, compared to my daily mech squonk - I can tell when that needs cleaned!
I rarely use the Vindicator, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago now since the last bash, and it was just 3 or 4 puffs at the back door a couple of times per week and back in the cupboard for most of my ownership - given my current health with the pneumonia I'm planning on being completely off the vape by Hogmanay at the very latest, so as much as it pains me to let it go, the Vindicator will be in the classies as soon as I'm well enough to polish it up, take pics and be sure I can make it to the pistoffice!
The Kennedy 25 rda is going back on the Foggatti DNA200 and is going to be purely a display piece as it has huge sentimental value :)

I am often using the same mech and rda for weeks on end with a coil about 1 ohm and it gets rewicked weekly. If it is not performing as I expect it gets a clean. Perhaps what I notice is having to change the battery sooner than expected. Tests I did a while back showed I got about 0.2v to 0.3v more voltage drop on a dirty compared to a clean switch and that relates to that "time to change battery time" coming sooner than expected.

Back
Top Bottom