What's new

Best wire? Wire recommendation?

The best wire is SS, but you won't be wrapping a 1.8ohm coil with it, so you'd have to get that idea out of your head. :D

I agree with everyone else though, 28awg Kanthal (or nicrhome) and a muji pad is a good place to start, you can always experiment later to find your 'best'
why not? would it require too many wraps?

SS316L has approximately half the resistance of Kanthal, so yes - you would need twice the number of wraps to get a high ohm coil.

I've used SS316L and got good results, on a regulated mod it doesn't matter much if the ohms are lower because you can select the power level.

yeah exactly, it has a much lower resistance.

It really depends on what the posts are like though, some MTL decks are small and the posts are not offset, Mine usually come out between 0.6 and 1ohm depending on the tank.

I'm trying a non-spaced coil in my corolla right now and that's a hair over 1ohm but my usual spaced coil is around 0.7.

I mostly use 26-28 awg kanthal because I find it easy to work with, 5-6 wraps and you will be around 1 ish ohm which is what I aim for and adjust to suit. I'm another Muji cotton fan and the price is nice.

SS316L has approximately half the resistance of Kanthal, so yes - you would need twice the number of wraps to get a high ohm coil.

I've used SS316L and got good results, on a regulated mod it doesn't matter much if the ohms are lower because you can select the power level.

yeah exactly, it has a much lower resistance.

It really depends on what the posts are like though, some MTL decks are small and the posts are not offset, Mine usually come out between 0.6 and 1ohm depending on the tank.

I'm trying a non-spaced coil in my corolla right now and that's a hair over 1ohm but my usual spaced coil is around 0.7.
Thanks Gents
so for the same Ohm coil, would the greater surface area of the SS provide better/more flavour and clouds? I use KA1

Thanks Gents
so for the same Ohm coil, would the greater surface area of the SS provide better/more flavour and clouds? I use KA1

Not sure about that..... just because it's not why I use it.

Thanks Gents

You also have to consider the physical mass of the coil - a 5 or 6 wrap 26awg KA1 coil may work great in an MTL deck. but a 10 to 12 wrap SS316L of the same gauge will be crap - it may have the same resistance but it would have double the mass and would need more power to heat effectively - it would probably turn a small MTL tank into a crematorium.

As long as you can regulate the power to the coils the resistance is not as important - however, if you're using a mech mod resistance is of critical importance because it is the only method you have of controlling the approximate wattage to your coils and the Amps being pulled from your batteries.

You can experiment by adding extra wraps as a spool of wire is cheap, but the physical size of the build deck will give you a rough idea of just how many wraps will fit, you have nothing to lose except a few inches of wire - but don't do a Jai Haze and try to fit a dual 26 fused clapton. He will frequently claim that if a coil can be made to fit in a tank it should work perfectly - he frequently talks out of his arse.

Back
Top Bottom