What's new

A guide on calculating amp load using a regulated mod.

Your revised post is excellent! Good job.

Trouble is even a TLDR footnote can end up quite large but worth a try!

Here's an adapted (by me) TLDR on 18650 vaping batteries from another site:

• Stick to batteries with manganese chemistries (INR/IMR, never ICR)
  • Pay close attention to amp limits and never exceed them
  • Ignore pulse ratings (use safe CRD or Continuous Discharge Rates as tested by people like Mooch)
  • Don’t overcharge
  • Don’t overdischarge
  • Always buy authentics (stick to Sony, LG, Samsung, and Panasonic)
  • Don’t charge your batteries in your mod (unless it definitely balance charges)
  • Invest in a quality external charger
  • Never leave your batteries out in the cold (or the heat)
  • Don’t put loose batteries in your pocket
  • Invest in a battery case for safe transport
  • Recycle damaged batteries
And even that could end up being added to. I think we really need a sub forum on here just about batteries and battery safe vaping.

Very useful post. Might be a bit long and offputting to complete newcomers to vaping so maybe add in a few examples of quick and easy calculations to check safe wattages such as:

single battery 20A CDR, safe max watts =
dual battery 20A CDR, safe max watts =
etc

and explain what CDR is and so on?
Reality is that a lot of newcomers will be impatient and won't read (TLDR).

Amp limit x number of cells x 3 = rough max safe wattage also is a useful guide.
Too many Ohms Law calcs out there, never seen a real world vaping calc as such, someone should get on that - @OccultScientist
Great idea @mannikon
I'll add it to the (growing) list :)

Your revised post is excellent! Good job.

Trouble is even a TLDR footnote can end up quite large but worth a try!

Here's an adapted (by me) TLDR on 18650 vaping batteries from another site:

• Ignore pulse ratings (use safe CRD or Continuous Discharge Rates as tested by people like Mooch)
  • Don’t overcharge
  • Don’t overdischarge
  • Don’t charge your batteries in your mod (unless it definitely balance charges)
And even that could end up being added to. I think we really need a sub forum on here just about batteries and battery safe vaping.
Thank you, I just noticed this question a lot lately and thought a sticky would help, I am glad you told me what could be added to help though. I understand a new vaper might just wonder "Well how far is safe?".

I have added that for 20A CDR cells which most of us seem to use, but explained with 25A or 30A ones they will need to use the calculations.

That is a fantastic list of safety precautions, and something me, you, and most other vapers know, but new vapers are not aware just how dangerous batteries can be!
After all, it seems a lot of new vapers have gone to a vape shop, and been sold a kit, which is good. What isn't good is that they have not been taught any safety aspects, and where I live (Canvey Island), most of the nearby towns shops are run by not very good staff.

I tried to explain this the other day, and I was looked at by three people behind the counter as if I was an alien lol.

A sub forum of battery safety would not be bad, considering the questions we get and how often they pop up.

Cheers @conanthewarrior - I can't say that I fully understood the calculations, but it was clear enough for me to calculate the max safe wattage I could vape at on my RX200s...out of curiosity btw...I think the max I ever vaped at so far is about 70w. I see you've edited with those calculations included now and they're the same as what I'd come up with so that's reassuring :) Now I know I could double my usual vaping wattage and add a bit more for good measure and scorch my throat good I bet...but safely!!! ;)

Cheers @conanthewarrior - I can't say that I fully understood the calculations, but it was clear enough for me to calculate the max safe wattage I could vape at on my RX200s...out of curiosity btw...I think the max I ever vaped at so far is about 70w. I see you've edited with those calculations included now and they're the same as what I'd come up with so that's reassuring :) Now I know I could double my usual vaping wattage and add a bit more for good measure and scorch my throat good I bet...but safely!!! ;)
No problem, I am glad I have helped even just one fellow ape :).

If you have any problems with the calculations, feel free to message me and I will go through it with you- it seems though you have more than enough headroom for those times you want to go a little mad wattage wise ;)

as added by @mannikon with the last 3 added by myself
  • Don’t overcharge
  • Don’t overdischarge
  • Always check batteries for torn wraps and out of place insulaters after charging and rewrap if needed
  • Stains or black marks will mean the battery is probably unusable. If in doubt do not use.
  • remember there is a trade off. theres only so much room in each cell, High amp lower mah expect around 2500mah on a 20 amp rated battery

Afternoon everyone, can anyone tell me if Sony vtc6's are 30a or 15a? I got 2 from fogstar for my therion 133, on the web site stated 30A but I have seen somewhere benchmark and it stated only 15A. Sorry if this is wrong place to ask but you lot look a lot more educated about this than people in general chat for example (no offence) :):):22:

Afternoon everyone, can anyone tell me if Sony vtc6's are 30a or 15a? I got 2 from fogstar for my therion 133, on the web site stated 30A but I have seen somewhere benchmark and it stated only 15A. Sorry if this is wrong place to ask but you lot look a lot more educated about this than people in general chat for example (no offence) :):):22:

15A is the sony rating ... Mooch rates them a little higher at 19A ... they are a 3000mAh battery, no way are they 30A

@mi1984 From Mooch

This is an great underrated cell that I am rating at 19A/3000mAh. The datasheet lists the max continuous current at 30A but that's only if you stop the discharge when the cell reaches 80°C, way before a continuous discharge has finished. The true continuous current rating from Sony is 15A. But at that current level the temperature is 72°C, about 6°C-9°C cooler than other batteries at their rating. This is why I feel it is underrated, like the Samsung 30Q, and why I have given it a 19A rating. It runs at a slightly higher voltage than both the 30Q and HG2 though.

The 30A rating is mentioned but not a true CDR apparently and I'm not exactly sure what that second sentence means but clearly Mooch doesn't rate it at 30A in his tests.

Back
Top Bottom