What's new

Tutorial - Sealing Connection Pin SXK BB USB Version

Had a wee look inside after seeing this and was quite shocked at the amount of juice down there. Thanks for posting. I will l0ok for some sealant and give it a go

Had a wee look inside after seeing this and was quite shocked at the amount of juice down there. Thanks for posting. I will l0ok for some sealant and give it a go

Think I better have a look at mine also.

Is there a safe alternative to Fernox? Something that can be removed if necessary with low odour? I have some silicone sealant for kitchen and bathroom ? Would that be ok? It does stink to high heaven though

Is there a safe alternative to Fernox? Something that can be removed if necessary with low odour? I have some silicone sealant for kitchen and bathroom ? Would that be ok? It does stink to high heaven though
The Fernox I found odourless and very easy to work with, the tiny amount you need took a few seconds to apply.

I don't find silicone sealant gives much of a bond and eventually gives so not something I would use, @domejunky has more experience and he suggested this as an alternative:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/bostik-contact-extra-strong-adhesive-50ml/561220-1000

Main thing is to make sure you can remove it if needed in the future so no permanent adhesives.

Took the cover plates off mine to have an initial inspection. Not much leaking apparent, but I haven't taken the guts out yet. I have DNA version, so might wait for that tutorial.

Just done mine. My screen was stuck down but I had enough play to get under the board and use the ceramics to push the connecting wire out. Very simple.

Took the cover plates off mine to have an initial inspection. Not much leaking apparent, but I haven't taken the guts out yet. I have DNA version, so might wait for that tutorial.
The DNA might be the same no solder method only easier as you can unclip the screen from the main board (there's a small lever where the screen connects on the board), worth a try, haven't had the time to do mine yet.

So I sealed mine this morning using the fernox sealant. No photos, as it was a bit of a rush job before a dentist appointment. I have a phobia of the dentist, so figured that doing this would take my mind off it.

It was very easy and took about 15 minutes. I screwed the front and back plates off. I didn’t have to remove the board or anything else.

Just by moving the board very slightly, I was able to see a clear, straight path to the inside of the pin. I was able to very, very carefully stick a toothpick in there and push it out slightly from the bottom. Enough to wedge another toothpick in the gap between the insulator and the body of the bb, covered it in fernox and pushed it back in gently.

I then pulled the pin out from the insulator with tweezers. Again not right out, just enough to get plenty of sealant in. Pushed it back into place, wiped off the excess, put it back together and hey presto. It still works.

Mine seemed a bit tight as far as the wires go, I suspect there wasn’t much wiggle room.

It’s now drying while I’m in the dentists waiting room hoping my check up goes ok (denitrify is right across the road from my house).

Edit: everything was very dry in there, bearing in mind I’ve only had it a week and a half. Aye only place there was very slight moisture ingress was around the edge of the plate on the screen side.

Back
Top Bottom