What's new

so what is the best direct lung rda?

Then there is either something not quite right or build is too low, maybe coil not positioned right or getting hot legs on the coil
I find getting hot legs is fairly common on little coils in that small space, the coil needs good strumming before going ahead - make it nice and even

You shouldn’t be getting dry hits with an Exocet

I'm sure I tried 3mm to start and thought that was a bit big and went down to 2.5. When you say low, do you mean coil position or ohms...? Ohms are showing 1.4 but that's not right, should be around 0.7- 8.
I'm off for another bash.

I'm sure I tried 3mm to start and thought that was a bit big and went down to 2.5. When you say low, do you mean coil position or ohms...? Ohms are showing 1.4 but that's not right, should be around 0.7- 8.
I'm off for another bash.

2.5mm is perfect size

I mean ohms, 1.4 is not bad, I try and aim for between 0.8 and 1 to get a good vape at around 17-18w

But if it’s not low ohms I would be checking for hot legs on the coil and coil position for air flow
Also make sure you are not tucking the cotton back in through the air holes or picking the holes - just to cover the air holes up

2.5mm is perfect size

I mean ohms, 1.4 is not bad, I try and aim for between 0.8 and 1 to get a good vape at around 17-18w

But if it’s not low ohms I would be checking for hot legs on the coil and coil position for air flow
Also make sure you are not tucking the cotton back in through the air holes or picking the holes - just to cover the air holes up

Aye, I'm usually building to near 8 ohm, the 1.4 surprised me and I checked it on the Paranormal, so it will be an accurate reading.
Tails are sticking oot and the last build, (Monday), is as clean as a whistle. I built the watts up from about 10 until I was getting flavour, I hit 24w and stopped.
I wasn't hard on it, like a VS build, but after an hour I was getting that aw no feeling.

Aye, I'm usually building to near 8 ohm, the 1.4 surprised me and I checked it on the Paranormal, so it will be an accurate reading.
Tails are sticking oot and the last build, (Monday), is as clean as a whistle. I built the watts up from about 10 until I was getting flavour, I hit 24w and stopped.
I wasn't hard on it, like a VS build, but after an hour I was getting that aw no feeling.

At 1.4 I probably wouldn’t be going over about 16-17w tbh

That 1.4 went up to over 1.8...!
Never changed a thing but I did make sure everything was tight and there were no hot legs. I did find one of the legs glowing a bit, so I cut that back and seated it better.
It's back in the BB now and reading 0.8 ohms...! Vaping quite nicely at 24w.

Some extra input ...
I've given up squeezing in 3mm ID builds to the Exocet and find 2.5mm ID to be perfect.The Coilology MTL Clapton wires give great results. 3mm ID coils are too big for this atty as they obstruct/reduce the airflow.
I would advise always using spaced wraps, not closed wraps. A closed wrap coil will have heat concentrated in the centre. With spaced wraps there's no need for strumming, even heat, much reduced chance of any hotspots and it wicks a whole lot better.
When mounting the coil, I wrap the legs right around the screws, clockwise, so the wire isn't being pushed out by the screw heads on tightening down. I never get hot legs this way. Leave the former in the coil, pull on the leg tail to keep it under the screw head as you tighten down, trim the leg on the coil side of the post, not the outer side.

With a 2.5mm ID coil, spaced wraps, you can allow the wicking to be a little on the tight side inside the coil, not too tight obviously, but so that it gives you plenty of fluffy tail for fast wicking of higher VG juices. I don't fluff out the wick tail, I prepare the wick with the fibres are open and loose so that it compacts through the coil itself but remains open outside the coil.

A well prepped and set up wick will last at least a week with unsweetened 80VG juice and have no singe marks when removed.

I threw an SXK Insider into my basket with my latest order of 2 more Exocets and another boro tank from FT.

The post screws are wire cutters and they want to back off once tightened. Other than that the Insider, with no restriction and the wider bored chimney, is a very decent DL. There's a tad more air than the Exocet though I'm putting that down to the offset airduct creating some bypass. It's not quite as smooth and flavourful as the Exocet but I've only tried one build so far.

Pros over the Exocet - easier to build, doddle to wick, looks better in the tank with no wick tails showing, takes up less space so allows more juice, decent amount of 510 threads for building etc., chimney options.
Get the coil position right, replace the screws and it's a real contender. I don't think I'd fork out for a genuine Exocet but I just might for the Insider.

Back
Top Bottom