What's new

New mech mods section

In this day and age, why would anyone want to continue using an old fashioned and potentially dangerous type of mod, particularly when there's so many great regulated mods available?
Is it a Rose tinted specs type of thing?
Just curious.
I know that because I've had to ask this question it means I will never be allowed to own one..... :tongue:

In this day and age, why would anyone want to continue using an old fashioned and potentially dangerous type of mod, particularly when there's so many great regulated mods available?
Just curious.

Think of it as driving a manual car over an automatic. The vape you get is reliant on the build you put in. In all honesty I have as much faith in my ohms law and battery safety knowledge as I do in a mass produced chip, which goes up to 200-300w in a £20 mod.

They’re simple, keep them maintained and they will last a lifetime. I can’t describe it but it’s more satisfying (for me). Don’t get me wrong, I also use regulated devices but I look forward to getting home from work and using a mech. [emoji847]

Think of it as driving a manual car over an automatic. The vape you get is reliant on the build you put in. In all honesty I have as much faith in my ohms law and battery safety knowledge as I do in a mass produced chip, which goes up to 200-300w in a £20 mod.

They’re simple, keep them maintained and they will last a lifetime. I can’t describe it but it’s more satisfying (for me). Don’t get me wrong, I also use regulated devices but I look forward to getting home from work and using a mech. [emoji847]
I actually drive an automatic... A 7 speed DSG box, and it's faster and more economical than the manual version.
Is it as much fun to drive? Could be, but possibly not... Maybe I'm just getting old lol.
Does a mech mod produce better flavour?

I actually drive an automatic... A 7 speed DSG box, and it's faster and more economical than the manual version.
Is it as much fun to drive? Could be, but possibly not... Maybe I'm just getting old lol.
Does a mech mod produce better flavour?
Not better flavour but as the power drops in your battery you do taste different notes to the juice that you don't get with a regulated box and fixed wattage [emoji5]

Not better flavour but as the power drops in your battery you do taste different notes to the juice that you don't get with a regulated box and fixed wattage [emoji5]
So if I alter the wattage on my regulated mod I could achieve a similar effect?

Just curious.
I know that because I've had to ask this question it means I will never be allowed to own one..... :tongue:

I think this is a good question.

Especially for vapers that have got used to using modern regulated devices that have all the adjustments and power you could need to easily get the vape you like.

A mech will not get you any better vape than your regulated device it just makes it a bit more work to find how to get the vape you like.

Since my first couple of months vaping when I used an ego pen type device, I have never used regulated devices.
What made me take the route I did was threads on here where folk would be impressed by regulated devices if they worked with no problems for 6 months or a year. It is the same now folk seem happy if they get a year or more out of a mod.

A good mech, even the good clones I use last for many years, the £10 clone SMPL in my hands now has been in almost constant use for over two years and I have no reason to think it does not have many more years left in it. Should it develop problems or get lost, I have a spare and an unused spare for the spare. I also have three nemesis clones that cost about £20. Add in my £10 manhattan clone and I call that a lifetimes supply of mods for £100.

My prefered vape requires less than 20w so has an amp draw of under 5A so no pushing batteries to the limits for me. As long as I take the precautions to avoid shorts then it is perfectly safe and I get to use smaller, sturdier, durable, better looking (imo) tubular devices that sit in the hand better.
I also get to use a simple device that I can understand rather than a magic box that I do not understand under the hood.

I do get worried when i see folk taking to mechs, before doing the appropriate homework and will never understand why some mech users want to push batteries to their limits. Mechs only really work in conjunction with building your own coils neither are going to be for everyone, but for me they do all that i require from my nicotine delivery system so I am sticking with them.

Excellent, it’s great to see some interest straight away. Over the coming week I’ll try and get some order in the section. I’ll get a couple of stickies organised, and try and get a good few threads started. [emoji108]

What about a sticky with useful videos for folk to watch, I would nominate this video for inclusion, very useful though a bit long.

Being the complete Dinosaur that I am, it always makes me smile to myself whenever I see topics about someone potentially getting their first Mech and asking hundreds of questions regarding safety etc as they all seem to be under the allusion that they WILL "Blow their faces/Hands/Fingers off".
So why do I smile? Not because I wish anyone any form of harm, but it is this strange belief that a Mech is such a dangerous device.
Back when we first started out, unless one had pretty deep pockets, a Regulated Mod was pretty much out of reach financially. "Most" of us started in similar ways, usually an eGo Battery with a CE4 on top, then upgrading to a "Spinner" Battery........... imagine the sense of adventure........ Variable Wattage!!!! :):)
We were by then usually discussing the likes of the Vivi Nova Tank and the more adventurous of us were learning our wicking craft on similar devices. Silica Wick was still the thing back then and in many ways I suppose, I owe it a debt of gratitude as it was how I first got into building.

To me archaic way of thinking back then, a Regulated Mod had the potential to become an expensive Paper Weight far more quickly than any Mech Mod. Too much to go wrong, or wear out, which could then render said Mod as useless, something that could not happen any where near as quickly with a well maintained Mech.
BUT......... Do remember, we were talking about some fairly awful Mods back then and despite their high price points, they weren't exactly wonderful. Things such as the original MPV came along and things improved to a large extent and in many respects, I would still consider that as the first Affordable Regulated Mod that we saw. Yes, it was only Variable Wattage, but that was exciting back then. The MVP2 introduced us to Variable Ohmage as well and in many respects, we were off and running.

We both staunchly avoided such devices, Carol was actually given and original MVP, in fact, it's still here somewhere, but she was never comfortable with it, much preferring her Nemesis and then ultimately her Atmizoo Labs and the amazing Mecha b0d. For my part, I was into Nemesis, b0d and then my wonderful Mor Crann Mechs.

However, time and circumstances have a way of changing one's outlook? I still use Mechs exclusively for Squonking. Yes, some "may" argue that a Mosfet Switch renders them as a Hybrid, but for me, if there is no Chip/Board, call it what you will, it's a Mech. I do have another Regulated Squonker arriving supposedly, but that was got because it is a historical piece of kit as far as squonking goes. Mind you, it has yet to see the light of day here, so one day perhaps I will talk more about that one,
I do use Regulated, i.e. The Billet Box etc, but am more than happy to return to the simplicity and longevity of my Mechs.

To my way of think......... PROVIDED you have a degree of Common Sense, a decent knowledge of Ohms Law, GOOD Batteries, an Ohms Reader and Steam Engine, you are in a very good place.

Being the complete Dinosaur that I am, it always makes me smile to myself whenever I see topics about someone potentially getting their first Mech and asking hundreds of questions regarding safety etc as they all seem to be under the allusion that they WILL "Blow their faces/Hands/Fingers off".
So why do I smile? Not because I wish anyone any form of harm, but it is this strange belief that a Mech is such a dangerous device.
Back when we first started out, unless one had pretty deep pockets, a Regulated Mod was pretty much out of reach financially. "Most" of us started in similar ways, usually an eGo Battery with a CE4 on top, then upgrading to a "Spinner" Battery........... imagine the sense of adventure........ Variable Wattage!!!! :):)
We were by then usually discussing the likes of the Vivi Nova Tank and the more adventurous of us were learning our wicking craft on similar devices. Silica Wick was still the thing back then and in many ways I suppose, I owe it a debt of gratitude as it was how I first got into building.

To me archaic way of thinking back then, a Regulated Mod had the potential to become an expensive Paper Weight far more quickly than any Mech Mod. Too much to go wrong, or wear out, which could then render said Mod as useless, something that could not happen any where near as quickly with a well maintained Mech.
BUT......... Do remember, we were talking about some fairly awful Mods back then and despite their high price points, they weren't exactly wonderful. Things such as the original MPV came along and things improved to a large extent and in many respects, I would still consider that as the first Affordable Regulated Mod that we saw. Yes, it was only Variable Wattage, but that was exciting back then. The MVP2 introduced us to Variable Ohmage as well and in many respects, we were off and running.

We both staunchly avoided such devices, Carol was actually given and original MVP, in fact, it's still here somewhere, but she was never comfortable with it, much preferring he Nemesis and then ultimately her Atmizoo Labs and the amazing Mecha b0d. For my part, I was into Nemesis, b0d and then my wonderful Mor Crann Mechs.

However, time and circumstances have a way of changing one's outlook? I still use Mechs exclusively for Squonking. Yes, some "may" argue that a Mosfet Switch renders them as a Hybrid, but for me, if there is no Chip/Board, call it what you will, it's a Mech. I do have another Regulated Squonker arriving supposedly, but that was got because it is a historical piece of kit as far as squonking goes. Mind you, it has yet to see the light of day here, so one day perhaps I will talk more about that one,
I do use Regulated, i.e. The Billet Box etc, but am more than happy to return to the simplicity and longevity of my Mechs.
In a relatively short time I've progressed to making my own coils etc and get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction in doing so. I would expect to progress? To trying a mechanical mod next, but I am fearful of the destruction that may cause to my limbs and good looks. You may laugh, but all my fears have stemmed from comments that I read on here.
" I won't sell you this until I've checked your thread history"
"for expert users only"
"I don't want you losing half your face"
That type of thing makes me think using a mech is like playing with a hand grenade, and maybe it is, so then I think why bother trying something that is fraught with so much danger?
Then I see what I think are folks asking sensible questions in relation to buying a mech mod only for them to be told "if you have to ask the question you shouldn't be buying a mech"
Is it any wonder that there is so much terror surrounding the use of mech mods?

@bobsyeruncle NO!!! It is of NO surprise at all to me that you are in a quandary about whether to go ahead or not. I will be honest, whilst I appreciate that sellers are just covering their backs by saying such things, it still saddens me that it should be "quite" so necessary.
None of us would want any harm to come to ANYONE!!! BUT, there is a very fine line between covering their backs and potentially scaring people off. There have been a few such listings recently and I have been shocked to then find that the seller, hasn't actually been vaping that long them selves! So, as I have added to my original post, COMMON SENSE and a working knowledge will stand one in good stead.

A Good Mech is an experience that I feel should be experienced at least once by all vapers. OK, it may prove not to be what they want, but the satisfaction of building, checking and then using, is something very satisfying I assure you.

Back
Top Bottom