What's new

Mech vs Regulated power delivery

shacklel

So i guess i spoilt myself when i bought a mech.

I cant for the life of me manage to find a build i enjoy on my regulated mod ever since. Its bugging me because day to day a regulated mod is just more conveniant, mechs are nice for a weekend treat.

The only build i've managed to get some enjoyment out of is an N80 dual core fused clapton. I cant notice a huge difference when i move my RDA between my mech and Aegis Solo at aroud 65-70W.

However im a round wire fan as i prefer faster ramp up and normally just stick a new coil in everytime i rewick which would be too expensive with Clapton wire.

RDA wise i use the VGOD Elite and Pro Drip RDAs both bottom airflow.

24g SS316L just vapes awful on my Aegis Solo, coils seems to overheat, lots of crackling, sizzling and popping no matter how i wick it. My regular build would be dual coil 2.5mm 8 wraps 24g about 0.18ohms. My mechs will hit about 65W but i cant go over 55W on my regulated mod without ruining the vape somewhat. I can chain vape on my mech with this build with no issues but not a chance on my Aegis Solo

So im now trying 22/23g 0.6mm N80 round wire, 2.5mm 8 wraps 0.19ohms, this fairs better but still not great at all, however if i stick the RDA on my Clutch or VGOD pro mech the way it vapes is just awesome. Buttery smooth, instant ramp up, super tight as in no crackling popping or anything and im vaping my Aegis Solo at a similar wattage to what my mech is producing, around 70W with a fresh battery.

What the heck is going on? Its driving me mad, Is it the way a regulated mod delivers power to the coil that's ruining it?

Thought about trying a DNA device to see if they're any better, but i dont want to waste a load of cash.

Any advice would b much appreciated.....

I think what is happening with your SS build is although it is reading 0.18 ohms and working fine for you on a mech - when SS wires heat up the resistance increases, what starts at 0.18 ohms will probably go over 0.20 ohms (0.21 - 0.22 ohms maybe?). I think you've taken battery sag/voltage drop into consideration and estimated your wattage figures based on the resistance of your coils when cold - in reality you are probably drawing less current, and vaping at a lower wattage than you thought because your SS build's resistance will increase as the coil ramps up. In reality you are probably vaping at around 55 watts with this SS build on your mech - just try turning the wattage down on your Aegis Solo and you should get a similar vape.

The resistance of Ni80 doesn't really fluctuate with temperature so it will be a very similar vape on both.

Thanks but yeah I do account for the increase in resistance at about 20% so yeah about 0.21ohms at 3.65-3.7v on my mech is around 65W. I wonder if it’s the fluctuation in resistance that messes the vape up as the chip has to force more current to the coil throughout the puff.

I’ve wondered if that’s why N80 seems better since it’s more stable resistance wise.

Thanks but yeah I do account for the increase in resistance at about 20% so yeah about 0.21ohms at 3.65-3.7v on my mech is around 65W. I wonder if it’s the fluctuation in resistance that messes the vape up as the chip has to force more current to the coil throughout the puff.

I’ve wondered if that’s why N80 seems better since it’s more stable resistance wise.
I know my aegis max sends less voltage automatically than i want to my coils (it displays it), i believe for that reason (its reading the resistance rise of the ss coils). I set it about 2 watts higher to compensate.
(Im down near 30 watts tho, so less to compensate for)

What mech and batteries are you using?

Without accurate test equipment its really hard to tell exactly how much power makes it to the 510, after watching the voltage drop tests on youtube it seems good 21700 mechs with 35 Amp Samsung 30Ts get 3.6 to 3.7 Volts at the 510, 20700 and 18650 mechs (using 30 Amp batteries) get 3.25 to 3.35 Volts - but that is testing with coils of 0.12 ohms, if the tests were run with higher resistance coils the batteries wouldn't sag as much and the voltage getting to the 510 would be higher. It really is something of a dark art .

I think it is the resistance fluctuation causing it, but personally on regulated mods I wouldn't worry about it and just set the wattage that gives you the vape you want and let the board sort it out - if you get a good vape at 55 Watts then you're on a winner as the battery charge in your Aegis Solo will last longer. It still is a bit of a head scratcher though.

One issue can be the mod , not all chips run the same and most have different spikes on initial fire. Try your mech build on different mods if you can , even duals just with different chips. The closest to a mech i got with my vaporesso armour pro on a tweaked power curve.

I posted a while ago some of the diffrences between mechs , pwn, mosfets and regulated. An electronic mech hit is achievable but you need something a bit twekable or a chip that hits properly. A great chip was the first gen voopoo gene in the drags , those chips hit like a train but all are duals . The voopoo drag x plus might be a good one although i have not experienced the new gene chips

What mech and batteries are you using?

Without accurate test equipment its really hard to tell exactly how much power makes it to the 510, after watching the voltage drop tests on youtube it seems good 21700 mechs with 35 Amp Samsung 30Ts get 3.6 to 3.7 Volts at the 510, 20700 and 18650 mechs (using 30 Amp batteries) get 3.25 to 3.35 Volts - but that is testing with coils of 0.12 ohms, if the tests were run with higher resistance coils the batteries wouldn't sag as much and the voltage getting to the 510 would be higher. It really is something of a dark art .

I think it is the resistance fluctuation causing it, but personally on regulated mods I wouldn't worry about it and just set the wattage that gives you the vape you want and let the board sort it out - if you get a good vape at 55 Watts then you're on a winner as the battery charge in your Aegis Solo will last longer. It still is a bit of a head scratcher though.

I’ve got a couple of mechs the Vgod Pro Mech 2 and Dovpo Clutch. I reckon at around 20amps of current I’ll be getting about 3.65v on my Vgod 18650 and around 3.7v on my Clutch 21700. The Clutch definitely hits a bit harder. Using Molicell batteries.

If I run my Aegis Solo in bypass it vapes a lot better but the hit is weak. Around 3.4v shown on the screen with same build. It’s okay for around 30 puffs then the battery needs charging.

One issue can be the mod , not all chips run the same and most have different spikes on initial fire. Try your mech build on different mods if you can , even duals just with different chips. The closest to a mech i got with my vaporesso armour pro on a tweaked power curve.

Thanks yeah it’s definitely a power delivery thing caused by the regulator chip because I can run my Aegis Solo in bypass mode and although I’m only getting around 3.4v with the 0.18ohm SS316L build on a fresh battery it’s a much smoother enjoyable vape. Switch to power mode at same wattage. Rubbish.

I posted a while ago some of the diffrences between mechs , pwn, mosfets and regulated. An electronic mech hit is achievable but you need something a bit twekable or a chip that hits properly. A great chip was the first gen voopoo gene in the drags , those chips hit like a train but all are duals . The voopoo drag x plus might be a good one although i have not experienced the new gene chips

Thanks yeah I did see that. The battery elasticity stuff got me interested. I think the natural flow of electric in the circuit and relationship between battery voltage and atomiser is what makes mechs vape so awesome. Just a great user experience.

Back
Top Bottom