What's new

First mech advice

Smokeandsteam

Achiever
Hello all.

I’m about to buy my first mech mod.

I’ve spent A LONG TIME (possibly too long) researching Ohms Law, battery safety and the correct batteries required, build advice (I will be starting at 0.3 and testing it extensively on a regulated mod first) and maintenance and cleaning of the mech.

What I haven’t really looked at is what mech to get for a starter/newbie. There is not, I don’t think, much sense in going high end at this point. I also don’t think I want to go for the most complex double battery mechs. I want something to work with and learn to use safely first. Single battery. Easy to get your head round

What are the views on here on the best place to start? Or put another way if you was starting off on your mech journey again which device would you start with to learn properly and safely?

Seems like your doing all the right homework [emoji4] what I would look for in a first mech is something with a locking fire button and something lined for extra battery safety oh and if single cell then 21700 compatible so I could use Sammy 30t cells to give plenty of AMP head room so something genuine that won't break the bank like

https://www.ecigone.co.uk/thc-tauren-one-rta-537373236

Seems like your doing all the right homework [emoji4] what I would look for in a first mech is something with a locking fire button and something lined for extra battery safety oh and if single cell then 21700 compatible so I could use Sammy 30t cells to give plenty of AMP head room so something genuine that won't break the bank like

https://www.ecigone.co.uk/thc-tauren-one-rta-537373236

Brilliant. This is exactly the sort of advice I was after. Thanks a lot!

I definitely want a lock. Constant contact really scares me so the idea of knowing I can lock it and put it safely in the coat or bag or whatever is spot on. Also a lined mod sounds like a good idea. What’s the difference in terms of use etc between lined and unlined?

I’m happy to spend a lot on a mech. I really want the Nameless Unknown because they look boss and they are hand made in my own city. But, it’s not one for beginners. I want to do this right. Learn. Listen. Be safe. And do my apprenticeship!

Brilliant. This is exactly the sort of advice I was after. Thanks a lot!

I definitely want a lock. Constant contact really scares me so the idea of knowing I can lock it and put it safely in the coat or bag or whatever is spot on. Also a lined mod sounds like a good idea. What’s the difference in terms of use etc between lined and unlined?

I’m happy to spend a lot on a mech. I really want the Nameless Unknown because they look boss and they are hand made in my own city. But, it’s not one for beginners. I want to do this right. Learn. Listen. Be safe. And do my apprenticeship!
The difference is battery safety, if your battery wrap has a tear you can't or didn't see your mod will autofire if your cell is positive up or hard short your cell if positive down so getting one that's lined takes away the worry of that [emoji4]

The difference is battery safety, if your battery wrap has a tear you can't or didn't see your mod will autofire if your cell is positive up or hard short your cell if positive down so getting one that's lined takes away the worry of that [emoji4]

Thanks Matty. Lined it is then.

Thanks Matty. Lined it is then.
And be aware the mod Matty linked has a hybrid 510 connection so you MUST use an atty with a protruding 510 pin - absolutely do not use a sub-tank on a hybrid mech! But a lined mech and a locking switch is pretty safe provided you've tested the atty on a regulated to make sure it's all good and always lock when not in use. Constant contact switches are not to dissimilar to regular switches, they just move the possibility off the switch contact arcing when it touches the battery to make complete the circuit and fire the device, instead it moves the contact point to the inside of the switch - so a constant contact switch always touches the battery, then when the button is pressed it completes the circuit on the bottom of the constant battery contact. HTH.
With a hybrid mech always screw the atty on first, then battery in and screw down the switch - obviously if you're just swapping cells out then just leave the atty attached. Have fun and enjoy!

And be aware the mod Matty linked has a hybrid 510 connection so you MUST use an atty with a protruding 510 pin - absolutely do not use a sub-tank on a hybrid mech! But a lined mech and a locking switch is pretty safe provided you've tested the atty on a regulated to make sure it's all good and always lock when not in use. Constant contact switches are not to dissimilar to regular switches, they just move the possibility off the switch contact arcing when it touches the battery to make complete the circuit and fire the device, instead it moves the contact point to the inside of the switch - so a constant contact switch always touches the battery, then when the button is pressed it completes the circuit on the bottom of the constant battery contact. HTH.
With a hybrid mech always screw the atty on first, then battery in and screw down the switch - obviously if you're just swapping cells out then just leave the atty attached. Have fun and enjoy!

Aye, the protruding pin is seared into my brain! I’ve been measuring them, by eye, on drippers!

That’s a really helpful explanation of the constant contact feature by the way. Thanks very much.

I’ve also cut and pasted your advice re set up onto my ‘note to self’ file

I’ve got the batteries and the atty so, given its Black Friday tomorrow, it’s now just buying the mech!

It doesn't have a locking mechanism but the Keen by timescale is a great mech. Lined tube, great switch and budget friendly(as well as taking 21700 batteries). Was really surprised with how good it is.

The Subzero X has a great locking mechanism, as well as a lined tube. It's a bit pricier and only takes 18650s but is a great mech.

Aye, the protruding pin is seared into my brain! I’ve been measuring them, by eye, on drippers!

That’s a really helpful explanation of the constant contact feature by the way. Thanks very much.

I’ve also cut and pasted your advice re set up onto my ‘note to self’ file

I’ve got the batteries and the atty so, given its Black Friday tomorrow, it’s now just buying the mech!
Glad to help [emoji106] Exciting times ahead for you, there's just something about the power delivery of a mech that a regulated can't match in my experience - just a cleaner, smoother, all round nicer experience, and my preferred way of vaping.
The only way to become experienced with them is to use them, and then figure out your battery runtime and when to change them out - you'll know exactly when that is as you'll be hardly able to get a vape from it, but when you stick the cell on your charger it'll rarely be fully discharged, that's my experience of them anyway; then you'll start to get the gist for when to change a bit earlier.
Takes a bit of getting used to coming from a regulated device that gives you a very consistent vape through the life of the battery for the most part, but the tapering of the voltage output on a mech can bring out flavour nuances in liquids you've never noticed before :)
Then tinker away with different builds in the atties you use on it to find your sweetspot - I like to build so the output is very slightly higher than I'd prefer on a fresh cell so that as it drops off I get longer a duration for my preferred vape on any given atty. Great fun tinkering away and nothing beats nailing a build that's perfect for your tastes.

Keep us informed of your journey and have great fun [emoji106]

It doesn't have a locking mechanism but the Keen by timescale is a great mech. Lined tube, great switch and budget friendly(as well as taking 21700 batteries). Was really surprised with how good it is.

The Subzero X has a great locking mechanism, as well as a lined tube. It's a bit pricier and only takes 18650s but is a great mech.
SOI X is an absolutely cracking mod, they were selling them off cheap a while ago from the American site, iirc it was about 70 bucks for mod and atty - I only moved mine on because 18650s weren't cutting it for runtime for me on my preferred lower builds and I went 21700 (I was using Samsung 20s on a 0.1ish build and would need four cells to see me through a day if I used it as an ADV, which I only done for a couple of days on holiday)

Back
Top Bottom