What's new

The VariAnt

If you are really planning to head above 50A remember that at those kinds of current you can get contact welding on the switch. You need to be able to kill the mod without the switch and I'd reccommend Kevlar fire gloves too in case you need to handle the atty. this is dangerous territory you are heading in to. Stuff that will make venting batteries look like a chimps tea party. Scalds from superheated liquid, switch contacts welding closed meaning the atty will be running for several seconds at 200+watts, structural failures due to thermal shock - A whole Smorgasbord of variously unpleasant happenings...

The switching circuit will have a miniscule amount of power as it'll be run like a mosfet which will basically act like a small relay. As a result, no high amperage situations will be placed upon the switch :). All connections are going to be insulated to within an inch of their life as well.

Structural failures is something I haven't put much thought into to be honest... but you have a very good point.

Also, this will not be used 24 7, but as a play thing. If I do take it out, it will be at a sensible resistance :P
To be honest, I'll probably try it, laugh myself to sleep, then never touch that build again. But, I would continue to use the mod as the voltage drop would be much better than a normal mech.

The switching circuit will have a miniscule amount of power as it'll be run like a mosfet which will basically act like a small relay. As a result, no high amperage situations will be placed upon the switch :). All connections are going to be insulated to within an inch of their life as well.

Structural failures is something I haven't put much thought into to be honest... but you have a very good point.

Also, this will not be used 24 7, but as a play thing. If I do take it out, it will be at a sensible resistance :P
To be honest, I'll probably try it, laugh myself to sleep, then never touch that build again. But, I would continue to use the mod as the voltage drop would be much better than a normal mech.

I'd be tempted to use it with a 70mm captivape stem poked through a welders mask, the heat from that atty will be fierce, heatsink fins would probably be a good idea - 2 or 3 square metres should be enough...:51:

I'd be tempted to use it with a 70mm captivape stem poked through a welders mask, the heat from that atty will be fierce, heatsink fins would probably be a good idea - 2 or 3 square metres should be enough...:51:

Not sure if serious.... I have a huge ptfe drip tip I can use, 6mm bore straight down.

Not sure if serious.... I have a huge ptfe drip tip I can use, 6mm bore straight down.

Well maybe a slight exaggaration but a long driptip with a splashguard grill (little piece of mesh) is a good idea boiling hot spitback is a bitch. Heatsink fins could help keep the topcap temperature down but not sure if you can get them in the right sizes

Well maybe a slight exaggaration but a long driptip with a splashguard grill (little piece of mesh) is a good idea boiling hot spitback is a bitch. Heatsink fins could help keep the topcap temperature down but not sure if you can get them in the right sizes

Not too worried about heat to be hobest, running 0.08 on the double cross a d it only gets hit if I don't take a good lung full quickly.
The igo m I'll be getting has more airflow than anything I have ever seen, and a large block of metal at the top that I am tempted to find a way to fin ad that'd look awesome and be functional..

Sorry for m lack of spelling, meds have just kicked in. Night all. Sorry for the thread hijack

I know the MOSFETs say that can carry serious amps but their size does concern me. This little pins don't look big enough when you compare it to 2 - 4mm wiring. Any thoughts guys?

Sent from somewhere just south on our nations capital.

Seedy Think it's going to have to be suck it & see,I've had problems with wires unsoldering from the pins before and that wasn't even with higher than 5 amps.

Seedy Think it's going to have to be suck it & see,I've had problems with wires unsoldering from the pins before and that wasn't even with higher than 5 amps.

They are fiddly little blighters.

Sent from somewhere just south on our nations capital.

Back
Top Bottom