What's new

Which wire ..

Dorset

Postman
Have tried Stealthvape NiFe30, their SS316L and Zivipf NiFe48. Has anyone got a clue as to why the flavour varies so much? I have been using two Siren GTAs to compare the various wires on a couple of DNA 75 mods. I've tried the same e-liquid with each wire and various amounts of cotton when wicking.

At the moment the NiFe30 from Stealthvape is winning but I would prefer a higher resistance coil if possible. I just can't figure out why there is such a difference. Any Ideas?

You know the way that Evolv and other Gods of the TC world witter on about 'thy shalt not burn thy coil' - try just fettling the coil until you reach maximum resistance i.e. put your RTA on your Ohms tester and fiddle with it until you reach the resistance predicted by Steam Engine. It may take a day or so to 'settle in' - but it does mean you can find shorts on a spaced coil easily without burning.

Have tried Stealthvape NiFe30, their SS316L and Zivipf NiFe48. Has anyone got a clue as to why the flavour varies so much? I have been using two Siren GTAs to compare the various wires on a couple of DNA 75 mods. I've tried the same e-liquid with each wire and various amounts of cotton when wicking.

At the moment the NiFe30 from Stealthvape is winning but I would prefer a higher resistance coil if possible. I just can't figure out why there is such a difference. Any Ideas?
What gauge NiFe30 are you using? It has such a good TCR that very low resistance buils are managed fine by decent TC chips. Anything above 0.13 aiming for 0.15 and above is ok. 29 gauge works well for dual coils and 28 gauge for singles.
NiFe48 I get very muted flavour out of. No idea why but I've just accepted it and don't use it. 316L I get great clean flavour. NiFe30 is a bit variable, I find. Perfect one time and a bit meh at others. Titanium is nice and neutral on flavour but 316's ease of use, dry burn capabilities and modern chips' ability to regulate it better all the time, have made it a firm favourite of mine now despite it being the least appropriate wire of them all for TC on paper.

You know the way that Evolv and other Gods of the TC world witter on about 'thy shalt not burn thy coil' - try just fettling the coil until you reach maximum resistance i.e. put your RTA on your Ohms tester and fiddle with it until you reach the resistance predicted by Steam Engine. It may take a day or so to 'settle in' - but it does mean you can find shorts on a spaced coil easily without burning.
If you use a coilmaster jig, stretch the coil on the jig, push it back together with the cap and install it, there should never be any need to touch it apart from gentle persuasion of the wraps into perfect spacing if required, but I've never seen anything in the way of hot spots on any spaced coil I've ever made.
Gentle pulsing of 316 is fine of course but NiFe30/48/Ti, nothing more than one firing at 300C is all it needs.

I've tried the following:

Stealth Vape NiFe30 28,29 AWG
Stealth Vape SS316L 26,27,28/29 AWG
Zivipf NiFe48 27,28 AWG
UD SS316L 24,26 AWG

All wrapped and spaced on a 3mm former. Normally 8 to 10 wraps. On a Siren deck the cotton can 'warp' the coil so that the outer loops can short - hence the fettling. The best wires so far are the Stealth NiFe30 and their SS316L. Their 316L is annealed (heat cycled) and IMHO far better than the UD stuff. I still cannot figure out why there is such a big difference. I am going to try fewer wraps per coil to remove any spacing problems.

I've tried the following:

Stealth Vape NiFe30 28,29 AWG
Stealth Vape SS316L 26,27,28/29 AWG
Zivipf NiFe48 27,28 AWG
UD SS316L 24,26 AWG

All wrapped and spaced on a 3mm former. Normally 8 to 10 wraps. On a Siren deck the cotton can 'warp' the coil so that the outer loops can short - hence the fettling. The best wires so far are the Stealth NiFe30 and their SS316L. Their 316L is annealed (heat cycled) and IMHO far better than the UD stuff. I still cannot figure out why there is such a big difference. I am going to try fewer wraps per coil to remove any spacing problems.
Let me guess, you get muted flavour and a cool weak vape?
Try using less wick, more wraps and a slightly thicker wire. Too much wick will reduce juice flow resulting in a cooler weaker vape with muted flavour in a similar way to what happens when juice runs out in a properly setup TC build, NiFe30 Is good stuff for a TC novice since it has very good response. I've never had any real trouble with it flavour wise, I'm less fond of SS316 since it has such a low response and I never seem to quite get it right twice in a row. Mostly I use Titanium, more difficult to build with and needs careful work but is far more durable once in place...

Not muted flavour or weak vape - just different. The wire spacing seems to be the biggest problem. On a Siren deck you only have 2.8 to 3mm spacing between the two posts - if you try 10 wraps of 0.35mm wire then you have to bend/fettle the legs to maintain spacing.

Thought I'd try another RTA. Coppervape Skyline arrived today - I know it's a 'lone - can't get the original or come to that afford one. It has 4mm between posts - so spacing is no problem. Initially it was great (half an hour ago) then juice flow reduced. Yes - I had opened the juice flow control fully. There may be a design 'feature' causing the problem. The inner deck has two juice flow holes - the outer chamber will cover one or both depending on how much you tighten the tank. Will fiddle later.

Ignore the above - there is a gap between the inner & outer chambers. On my third tank of juice now - only one minor problem with the Skyline clone - unscrewing the deck.
Now using NiFe30 - can't tell the difference between it and NiFe48. So it looks as though 'Which wire' is down to ease of building the coil and wicking. Some decks are easier than others ....

Any tips on unscrewing the deck on a Coppervape Skyline ?

I'm no pro coil builder but I've tried a whole bunch of different wires. Titanium and nickle were a pain in the ass. I haven't found anything better than Cloud Steel 316L stainless. I do twisted 2 strand spaced coils in all of my atties now and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom