What's new

Wacky TC on Asmodus Minikin v2

yorkyboy

Postman
Hi all. I'm no stranger to temp control, been using it for over 3 years back in the day when you needed a squillion wraps of Ni200!

I got a Minikin V2 today, updated the firmware straight away and I cannot for the life in me get a decent vape in temp mode!

The build I have is 7/8 wraps of twisted 27 gauge 430 stainless steel. Dual coil, comes out around 0.19 ohms. On my RX2/3 it is lovely, on the Minikin, it's nowhere near as nice. I get vapour, but it's cold and weak.

I've used TCR and TFR. All the recommended settings. I do use a TCR of 0145, just a bit higher than the 0138 it should be, so I set everything up the same. 92W, 0.19 ohms. Night and day on each mod. Bizarre.

Anybody else had this and found a workaround? I've emailed Asmodus and awaiting a reply. I love the mod, but it's useless to me if I cannot get a good vape with TC.

I hope somebody can cure my insanity!

I thought the reviewers, especially djlsb vapes, came to the conclusion that the tc on the board is, for want of better words, shockingly shit, I'm afraid

I thought the reviewers, especially djlsb vapes, came to the conclusion that the tc on the board is, for want of better words, shockingly shit, I'm afraid
Crap. I saw loads of reviews. Trust me to miss the one that matters. I'll have to check it out. I knew I should have saved for a DNA.

Crap. I saw loads of reviews. Trust me to miss the one that matters. I'll have to check it out. I knew I should have saved for a DNA.

Someone that owns one will be along soon, hopefully theres something that can be done in settings with the tcr and stuff, could be wrong and thinking of the version 1.5 though, I'll have a look

edit - I was thinking of the 1.5 apologies, I'll go and have a vape and keep my nose out , lol

Daniel slammed the 1.5 as having a "roller coaster ride" in TC iirc. Not sure he reviewed v2.

Again I'm pretty sure the only person who's reviewed the V2 to any degree is The Vaping Biker- who had a couple of issues.
As a general rule of thumb recent Asmodus mods are very capable wattage boxes that perform well. Their TC leaves a bit to be desired though.
If it's TC you're after and higher end DNA and yihi chips are out of reach then Joyetech and Wismec have it nailed in the more affordable end of the market.
Smok are decent too as a rule- although there's been some concern over the Alien's TC settings. Pioneer 4 U are good too mostly- but build quality can be off the mark. Sigelei/Laisimo aren't great for TC either.

But before you give up try building to a bit higher resistance. Sometimes higher is better with SS in TC mode. I think? @Mr Numpty is a good guy to hit up for TC queries....

I don't know how well The V2 handles TC although I'm sure @vapellie found it very good in that regard. The only thing that surprises me is that the RX2/3 handles it well with a 0.19 SS build. That's super low for SS and is asking a lot from a mod to handle with any accuracy.
"A rollercoaster ride" is exactly what the Smok Alien gives. The baffling part is why Daniel didn't find it with the Alien as he did with the Minikin 1.5.
I'd certainly try a build over 0.3 ohms before losing hope with it though.
Agree fully with @SirLugg, JoyeTech devices are great in TC, with the VTC mini giving performance very close to DNA devices. The price of the Minikin V2 would get you a DNA 75 I'd have thought, if you end up selling it. Best of luck.

Thanks, everyone. After watching some of Daniel's videos, it does seem that the Joyetech/Eleaf chips are much better for TC. Ironically, I own the iStick TC100 which is rates very highly which I am using right now lol

I tend to use 430 SS which is more accurate for TC as the TCR curve is slightly steeper, but I have to admit I haven't had any problems with 316 at low ohms. I do twist them, so maybe that's why I've been lucky! After watching his videos, it does seem apparent that with all mods, even some DNA ones, it's better to use TCR that presets.

Thanks again everyone. Lesson learned :)

Hi @yorkyboy I love my minikin v2 and am almost exclusively a TC vaper so will weigh in with my experiences!

I find the TC to be a bit on the cool side, but very consistent, compared to my other mods. By that I mean I tend to vape around 450F on my other mods but on the minikin I tend to go around 470F to get a similar sensation. Grimm Green said he felt the chip was a bit "underpowered" so I wonder if that is what he meant.
But what I like about it for TC are 2 things:
Being able to adjust the resistance of the coil it locks in at - I find the best resistance reading tends to be after a small toot rather than when the tank is cold cold, so if it's cold I tend to bump the resistance by .01 or .02 and that often compensates.
The consistency. I don't know how to describe it. The same tank with the same build vapes consistently, whereas other mods sometimes seem to over or under compensate the longer you vape giving you a hotter vape etc. Also on other mods the same build and the same wire can sometimes really throw the TC off kilter - normally vaping around 450F but the screen says that red hot vape is only 200-300F?! Never happened on the minikin... although maybe my building skills are improving?!

Interestingly, having been on ss316L for ages, @EmbraSewerRat kindly donated me some SS317L and I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems to play a little nicer (so cheers Ratty!)

I don't use twisted etc, just straight up (well, coiled, natch) wire as I could never get twisted wire to behave nicely in TC and lost patience.

DJLsb vapes are the best reviews for TC vapers by far IMO.

Never tried a Minikin, I'm mostly using my dicodes, with DNA75s to supplement. Still have a Joyetech Cuboid, which works fine, but I should use it more so the 510 gives up and I have an excuse to get a DNA200 to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom