What's new

Stainless steel coils, wicking and Tc

I'm trying to avoid anymore 'bugs' and just work with what I've got :D i stopped smoking because it was far too expensive, vaping is ten times worse :D

I keep thinking i want to try squonking, it never ends!

Squonking is great in TC. ;)

I'm trying to avoid anymore 'bugs' and just work with what I've got :D i stopped smoking because it was far too expensive, vaping is ten times worse :D

I keep thinking i want to try squonking, it never ends!
Get a DNA squonker, best of both worlds. You know you want to:flames:

I think the key is knowing what you want it to do and then understanding what adjustments you need to make to get that.

Ask yourself 'what I'm I trying to achieve by using TC over wattage' ... for me it was being able to take longer draws, because in wattage I'd find that after a few seconds I would naturally pull away and I realised that was because after a few seconds it was getting to hot for me to comfortably vape, not because I'd really finished my draw.

I swapped to TC because I'm a glutton for punishment :D

What you can find with some mods temp control is that if you build too high for the SS wire gauge, (i.e. 26g 0.8 ohms!), the heat capacity is quite high (how long it takes to ramp up and cool down), which means the mod will struggle with temp control. When the coil hits the temperature, the mod cuts the wattage but the coil takes a while to cool and so the mod cuts the wattage too much, meaning the vape drops right off, and then the mod sees that and hits the power again, so you get an on-off kind of vape. The same can occur with certain mods if you have the wattage set too high.

With 26g SS316L i never go over 0.5 ohms, and keep the wattage at 30 watts.

What you can find with some mods temp control is that if you build too high for the SS wire gauge, (i.e. 26g 0.8 ohms!), the heat capacity is quite high (how long it takes to ramp up and cool down), which means the mod will struggle with temp control. When the coil hits the temperature, the mod cuts the wattage but the coil takes a while to cool and so the mod cuts the wattage too much, meaning the vape drops right off, and then the mod sees that and hits the power again, so you get an on-off kind of vape. The same can occur with certain mods if you have the wattage set too high.

Good explanation there, thank you!

yeah, this is good advice ... a lot of the problems when I first started using TC was I was trying to make high resistance coils (because that's what I liked) I didn't really realise that in TC the resistance didn't work like that.

Update!

i had a dry hit last night so i changed out the wick which was absolutely black, moved the coil closer to the deck and the flavour has improved, much better than my first original coil. It's still going to need alot of tinkering. I don't feel like I'm completely there with it but thank you for everyone's help over the last couple days.

Guys i'm back with a few follow up questions. I'm finding that my wicking is lasting a day tops before i need to rewick. I'm mainly bombing through rejuiced, nothing too heavy but my wicks blacker than a coalman's face after a day's shift. Is that normal? I'll start to find the daily rewick a pain in the arse. Also, I'm trying to gently pulse the coil but it just doesn't taste as good afterwards. What's with that?

Eternally grateful as always :D

Back
Top Bottom