What's new

Not sure what's going on...

• Thread starter Deleted member 58360
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58360

Giving TC another go, having a bit of a (possibly) strange issue.

Setup - 28awg ss316, 7 wraps (iirc) on 2.5 to approx 0.7 ohms in a crea RDA.

Very sweet juice...

Using 8w and 225°c it was working exactly as I wanted (producing vapour while cycling in and out of protection, stopping any dry/burnt hits) for a day and a half.

Then quite suddenly flavour dropped significantly, then vapour stopped entirely - hit the button and straight to protection doing nothing at all...

Switching to wattage mode and it worked fine, and after a little usage like that it almost worked again in TC, but not as well.

Do deposits on the coil cause this instant overheating? Wraps not spaced enough?

Get about 3 days on average before flavour goes south. Turning up the power helps to vapourise juice, and will cut off when at temp. 8w seems low for 0.7ohm coils. Also depends on what device, DNA or another board. If DNA plug into Escribe & see what the power/temp are doing. Power/temp should be almost instant before dropping back to maintain temp, not a curve.

Non DNA, it's on a geekvape aegis X. Tried it on a legend too and it seems to need 15-20° lower setting to work the same... Probably/definitely not the best as far as TC goes, but I have very basic requirements. Literally all I want is burn protection because I'm otherwise perfectly happy with running fixed wattage or even fixed voltage.

I usually use low power anyway, so just followed suit really.

Maybe it's partially the mod - I was getting a popping on firing with TC if I left it for more than a few seconds, but not with wattage (vw set to 8 as well).

How spaced should the coil usually be? I worked on the assumption of just needing "a" gap, so it was absolutely minimal. You'd need to look close to identify that it wasn't a contact coil...

Easiest way to get the perfect spaced coil is to wrap the wire round a screw, the threads ensure even spacing. There needs to be enough space to prevent contact & hotspots. Wicking can easily pull two points together & throughing out TC.

I used to always use spaced coils, so it shouldn't be too bad - I went over to contact to reduce spitting though so I'll have to play a bit.

If it ends up that I get 1-3 days from a coil it'll probably fizzle out of my usage though tbh unless I'm doing something specific.

8 watts does sound pretty low for a TC setup, I tend to multiply my normal wattage by 50% for slow ramping stainless, but then again TC is each to his own due to warmth preferences.

The instant TC kicking in usually happens with a wrong resistance reading, is the resistance locked? was it measured at room temperature?

No idea other than that sorry, one of those things that's hard to suss out unless you have it in front of you.

For me, the hassle/benefit ratio just doesn't work out - lots of hassle, little to no benefit.

With it being so erratic doesn't really point to an obvious problem, so I think your solution is what i would have done, I rarely use TC on MTL setups as I don't find much benefit anyway.

Oh, it was consistent.

Just consistently bad...

Wasn't just one mod either.

I know some people swear by TC, which is why I wanted to give it another go - but the best I got was swearing at it instead.

I think I'll just stick to simple stuff, like rebuilding engines.

I swear by TC, just not for MTL builds as I don't find much benefit with it, higher power sub-ohm squonking on the other hand is a must for TC in my view and works a charm every build.

Back
Top Bottom