What's new

Ni200 - Annealed or Tempered?

Arctic_Wolf

Achiever
Due to a lot of eliquids causing me significant indigestion when vaped warm or hot for whatever strange reason that up until now has really restricted my vaping super low Ni200 builds or similar...

.... I've finally found a couple of liquids I can vape warm/hot that I'm really getting on with and am hoping to have more on the way to try :D.

TC enthusiasts that use Ni200 please.... If I order some Ni200 to start having a crack at some builds which would I be better off going with please?

Am not particularly bothered about ease of use to work with as I'm perfectly happy to mess about getting my first few tries wrong and learn from that. I'm really enjoying TC vaping and up until now I've only used SS316L. Am now banging away on the 0.15 Ni SSOCC's and absolutely loving it. Fingers crossed for more liquids that agree with me more when vaped warm and look forward to some suggestions of a load of Ni200 to buy.

Many thanks :)

@Arctic_Wolf my first suggestion would be to get Stealthvape NiFe30 instead. It's easier to use, gives more accurate TC, and runs well in Ni mode on mods that don't have variable TCR.

Stealthvape also sell Ni200, both tempered and annealed. I believe the tempered is easier to handle, but I've never tried it. You can always ask @stealthvape for advice.

I'm with @danb on this one, Looking at your List of devices you have a couple of DNA 200 types so you can use just about any wire available. NiFe30 is easy to use and gives excellent results, Titanium is harder to work with but lasts longer, Lots of people swear by SS316L for TC as well but it's not as accurate as the other two. You can get all of them from @stealthvape - but if you must have Nickel then the Tempered stuff is easiest to use...

It's like a menu with lobster (NiFe30), rib eye steak (Titanium), pork ribs (NiFe48), roast lamb (SS316) and a bowl of peas with only chopsticks to eat them with (Ni200).

@danb and @Tubbyengineer,

Thanks very much indeed guys :).

I have some NiFe30 somewhere that I just hadn't got around to trying as admittedly I dont know much about it, will have to start trawling for info ;). Now I have a couple of DNA's and they're all set up and calibrated etc, I'm really seeing a huge difference in my vaping possibilities, especially now Ive found a couple of liquids I can vape warm too.

Not overly worried again by longevity of coils, I'd rather end up swapping them out more often using NiFe than Titanium which I know is a sod to work with lol.

If you guys think I'll get better results on the TC side of things with NiFe30, then that's what Ill go for.

Off the top of your heads, would I be looking at similar wire diameters to Ni200 to achieve a similar build, or is there a significant difference? In the meantime, I'll go and start reading :).

Cheers :).

29 AWG for dual coils and 28 or 26 AWG for singles with Stealthvape NiFe30.

@danb and @Tubbyengineer,

Thanks very much indeed guys :).

I have some NiFe30 somewhere that I just hadn't got around to trying as admittedly I dont know much about it, will have to start trawling for info ;). Now I have a couple of DNA's and they're all set up and calibrated etc, I'm really seeing a huge difference in my vaping possibilities, especially now Ive found a couple of liquids I can vape warm too.

Not overly worried again by longevity of coils, I'd rather end up swapping them out more often using NiFe than Titanium which I know is a sod to work with lol.

If you guys think I'll get better results on the TC side of things with NiFe30, then that's what Ill go for.

Off the top of your heads, would I be looking at similar wire diameters to Ni200 to achieve a similar build, or is there a significant difference? In the meantime, I'll go and start reading :).

Cheers :).
I Use 0.3 or 0.4 for most things, you'll need to use a few less wraps than with Ni200 8/9 is usually good, but you can use more for a higher resistance if you like, I prefer to use fewer coil wraps over the increased TC accuracy that you get from higher resistances.

Mr Numpty, danb and Tubbyengineer all know and love their NiFe30, look at some of their posts and you'll find all you need to know. I have moved on from NiFe30 to NiFe48 as it has a little higher resistance so I can get clapton coils working with it without going silly low on the build or 50 odd wraps!! But NiFe30 is a great wire for TC.

Ok,

Thank you very much gentlemen. I'll probably get both 30 and 48 then, give both a try.

I've sorted out my batteries, a case analysis and calibrated my DNA's with the wee copper plug calibration tool, presumably I'd need to next sort out some.csv files for both types of NiFe and upload them to the DNA's??

If using on the standard RX or Cuboid, I'd need to enter the specific TCR values for both NiFe's as well yeh ;)?

Am trawling info and catching up slowly, but best to check stuff like that with you guys who have been at it a while lol ;).

Go onto Steam Engine's Wire Wizard and have a play. Take note of the "TC precision" value - you want to keep that above 500 if you can. I'd also stay above 0.10 Ohm (because at very low resistance a slightly off contact will have a relatively large effect on the mod's temp calculations).

Experimenting with different wires, you will get an idea of what sort of gauge and number of wraps you will need for accurate TC, and you'll see that the higher accuracy of NiFe wires and Ti allows you to use thicker wire and fewer wraps.

With Ni200 I used to use 0.3 mm for single coils and never bothered attempting dual coil builds.
For Stealthvape NiFe30, I use 0.32 mm (28g) for singles. Go a bit thinner and you can do dual builds as @Mr Numpty does.
For duals I use 0.32 mm (28g) Zivipf NiFe48 (=Nifethal52 on Steam Engine). I made Clapton wire with Zivipf NiFe48 yesterday (28g core, 30g wrap), dual coils in my drippers and it's pretty damn good.

Back
Top Bottom