What's new

Need help with TC SS settings please

That makes sense thanks. So the next stupid question is if the point of TC is to reach a temp and keep it there, why would you want to set a low wattage?

To avoid overshooting the set temp. If you set the wattage much higher than it needs to be, the coil can exceed the set temp before TC kicks in, resulting in a very sharp power drop and a fluctuating vape. For a smooth vape I normally recommend taking note of the wattage your mod is supplying mid-draw (look at the screen for live wattage or for DNAs you can use the escribe device monitor), setting your initial wattage about 50%-100% higher than that will normally give you a low ramp-up time and a smooth vape.

Using lower wattage is usually a sign a mod is not the best at doing TC

I disagree with that, it's more a sign of what the tank/build can handle. TC in single coil MTL tanks doesn't require high wattage, but that doesn't mean it can't work very well for TC.

Thanks for all the new responses.

I'm guessing my Kanger had that DNA chip cause it was as you described, really smooth, which is probably why I didn't know what someone earlier was talking about when they said I should be able to tell when TC kicks in. This one however DOES come up with that 'temp control' message and you can tell the instant dip in power but then it restarts a sec later.

From playing about with it after reading everything in this thread, it makes waayyy more sense. Setting wattage too low it doesn't do much, setting too high is actually worse because it makes that 'TC' message pop up like a second into the pull and stay there longer so you get just as much vape as having it too low.

somewhere between 80-120w and 250ish degrees C seems to work really well. I had been loving Wattage mode before but now I'm getting the same issue I had with my Kanger where this morning I jumped it back to W to test and just didn't find I got as much flavour from W as I do in TC.

Glad I was able to figure it out and couldn't have managed without this thread so thanks everyone :)

Glad I was able to figure it out and couldn't have managed without this thread so thanks everyone :)

We're all here to support each other - the folks on here have prevented me burning my bacon quite a few times.
Sooner than you expect, someone else will come on asking a question you can help with and you'll help them sort their problem
......... and so the support circle will continue :dance:

We're all here to support each other - the folks on here have prevented me burning my bacon quite a few times.
Sooner than you expect, someone else will come on asking a question you can help with and you'll help them sort their problem
......... and so the support circle will continue :dance:

Already have haha (or at least put my input in)

I was on the Reddit forum just because i was on Reddit already but it just got blocked in my work hence finding a new home. Here seems good :)

I disagree with that, it's more a sign of what the tank/build can handle. TC in single coil MTL tanks doesn't require high wattage, but that doesn't mean it can't work very well for TC.

I only us TC for my mtl set ups and it works flawlessly.

A consistant long draw vape on low wattage.

cheers

Gaz

I find its depending what type of vaping I'm in the mood for...

Long flavoured pulls - TC
Short strong pulls - wattage

last thing; for TC you really do need spaced coils.

Also, with what you guys are saying about the spaced coils, the contact ones i have in now dont seem to be causing any issue, i have heard spaced is better for TC before so will try next time, these were just premade 316l staggered fused claptons

I'm guessing my Kanger had that DNA chip cause it was as you described, really smooth, which is probably why I didn't know what someone earlier was talking about when they said I should be able to tell when TC kicks in. This one however DOES come up with that 'temp control' message and you can tell the instant dip in power but then it restarts a sec later.

From playing about with it after reading everything in this thread, it makes waayyy more sense. Setting wattage too low it doesn't do much, setting too high is actually worse because it makes that 'TC' message pop up like a second into the pull and stay there longer so you get just as much vape as having it too low.

somewhere between 80-120w and 250ish degrees C seems to work really well. I had been loving Wattage mode before but now I'm getting the same issue I had with my Kanger where this morning I jumped it back to W to test and just didn't find I got as much flavour from W as I do in TC.

Hey and welcome to the world of TC vaping bud :).

Alas no, your Kanger mod doesn't have a DNA board/chipset inside ;)!!!

Evolv DNA boards are a high end and quite expensive bit of kit. At UK prices, they come with the corresponding price tag ;). Obviously they can be purchased cheaper directly from China, although some models can actually be cheaper UK. However, I ordered one DNA from Gearbest and found various information and settings were all in Chinese lol (not unexpected though) ;). Thankfully, I already owned several DNA's by then and I am very familiar with setting them up, using them, and using Escribe (the companion PC software), so getting the correct files in English and setting everything up in English was very easy for me to do :).

If you're seriously interested in getting the very best TC, consider a DNA 60, 200 or 250, the 75's are still a great bit of kit too, but the other three are slightly better (but to be clear, there's really not much in it!!). Apparently the latest Yihi chips are also worth a look. I only own DNA's though, so can't speak to the quality or performance of a Yihi other than the usual sources of info available to all of us. The Yihi's however don't have the comprehensive companion software (Escribe) that can be run on a Windows PC to set up a DNA or monitor all sorts of settings, functions and performance in real time. If you like, you can simply set it up and go, or, you can make your own fonts and themes for the display, download others themes and use them. And, for example you can even connect your mod to Escribe on your PC and watch in real time on easy to read graphs everything your mod, batteries and the TC is doing everytime you take a vape :). Some criticise Escribe as being unnecessary, etc. But, precisely in circumstances such as you've currently been experiencing, a DNA could have helped you troubleshoot for you to work out exactly what was going on and why :).

Unfortunately as well, the SMOK Alien is known for its poor TC capability and the Kanger boards can be reasonably effective, but nevertheless are a cheap mass produced board. High mass coils such as you were using aren't best suited to TC at all really for multiple reasons as has already been pointed out ;). The largest mass coils I use for TC are 26/32 or 28/32 SS316L Claptons. Otherwise, simple single , dual parallel or twisted dual or triple strand coils are your best bet with SS. Whilst spaced coils are recommended as the best option for TC, I frequently use contact coils too with good results as well. However, I have no doubt that the DNA's definitely make a difference there too. Using contact TC coils on my standard RX for example is a very on/off, on/off affair and TC vape, as opposed to the DNA which is a much more consistent and smooth power delivery and corresponding vape :D.

If you're interested in starting out with a DNA without the larger price tag, FastTech are still doing a sale on the Hcigar VT167 for just £58!! https://www.fasttech.com/product/6209300-sale-authentic-hcigar-vt167-167w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod That is a serious bargain :). It has a full DNA 250 board inside, the maximum power is simply limited to 167 watts due to it being a dual cell mod. If you purchase one and it does come with various settings etc, in Chinese, this could easily be overcome by simply sending a copy of the entire ecig profile for the mod to someone familiar with DNA's to replace relevant files and settings with English versions, etc, saving the updated file and sending it back to you, for you to simply upload to your mod and you'd be good to go. Or, of course a simple Skype session using screenshare or similar with someone familiar with DNA's could also quickly amend the relevant files and settings into English from Chinese, and all sorted :D.

I was lucky enough to get my first DNA, an Hcigar VT133 (the older DNA 200 version of the VT167) at £63 UK on sale and with an applied discount code. An awesome price for an awesome bit of kit :). Since then, I've grown an extensive collection of DNA 200's as I mostly vape using TC and just love the TC that the DNA's provide. I have a few older mods set up for use in straight wattage mode for simple wattage vaping, but I prefer the longer, cooler TC vape whilst keeping the entire puff exactly at my set temps which keeps the flavour exactly where I want it as well :).

TC rules lol :D, as do DNA's :D.

Hey and welcome to the world of TC vaping bud :).

Alas no, your Kanger mod doesn't have a DNA board/chipset inside ;)!!!

Evolv DNA boards are a high end and quite expensive bit of kit. At UK prices, they come with the corresponding price tag ;). Obviously they can be purchased cheaper directly from China, although some models can actually be cheaper UK. However, I ordered one DNA from Gearbest and found various information and settings were all in Chinese lol (not unexpected though) ;). Thankfully, I already owned several DNA's by then and I am very familiar with setting them up, using them, and using Escribe (the companion PC software), so getting the correct files in English and setting everything up in English was very easy for me to do :).

If you're seriously interested in getting the very best TC, consider a DNA 60, 200 or 250, the 75's are still a great bit of kit too, but the other three are slightly better (but to be clear, there's really not much in it!!). Apparently the latest Yihi chips are also worth a look. I only own DNA's though, so can't speak to the quality or performance of a Yihi other than the usual sources of info available to all of us. The Yihi's however don't have the comprehensive companion software (Escribe) that can be run on a Windows PC to set up a DNA or monitor all sorts of settings, functions and performance in real time. If you like, you can simply set it up and go, or, you can make your own fonts and themes for the display, download others themes and use them. And, for example you can even connect your mod to Escribe on your PC and watch in real time on easy to read graphs everything your mod, batteries and the TC is doing everytime you take a vape :). Some criticise Escribe as being unnecessary, etc. But, precisely in circumstances such as you've currently been experiencing, a DNA could have helped you troubleshoot for you to work out exactly what was going on and why :).

Unfortunately as well, the SMOK Alien is known for its poor TC capability and the Kanger boards can be reasonably effective, but nevertheless are a cheap mass produced board. High mass coils such as you were using aren't best suited to TC at all really for multiple reasons as has already been pointed out ;). The largest mass coils I use for TC are 26/32 or 28/32 SS316L Claptons. Otherwise, simple single , dual parallel or twisted dual or triple strand coils are your best bet with SS. Whilst spaced coils are recommended as the best option for TC, I frequently use contact coils too with good results as well. However, I have no doubt that the DNA's definitely make a difference there too. Using contact TC coils on my standard RX for example is a very on/off, on/off affair and TC vape, as opposed to the DNA which is a much more consistent and smooth power delivery and corresponding vape :D.

If you're interested in starting out with a DNA without the larger price tag, FastTech are still doing a sale on the Hcigar VT167 for just £58!! https://www.fasttech.com/product/6209300-sale-authentic-hcigar-vt167-167w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod That is a serious bargain :). It has a full DNA 250 board inside, the maximum power is simply limited to 167 watts due to it being a dual cell mod. If you purchase one and it does come with various settings etc, in Chinese, this could easily be overcome by simply sending a copy of the entire ecig profile for the mod to someone familiar with DNA's to replace relevant files and settings with English versions, etc, saving the updated file and sending it back to you, for you to simply upload to your mod and you'd be good to go. Or, of course a simple Skype session using screenshare or similar with someone familiar with DNA's could also quickly amend the relevant files and settings into English from Chinese, and all sorted :D.

I was lucky enough to get my first DNA, an Hcigar VT133 (the older DNA 200 version of the VT167) at £63 UK on sale and with an applied discount code. An awesome price for an awesome bit of kit :). Since then, I've grown an extensive collection of DNA 200's as I mostly vape using TC and just love the TC that the DNA's provide. I have a few older mods set up for use in straight wattage mode for simple wattage vaping, but I prefer the longer, cooler TC vape whilst keeping the entire puff exactly at my set temps which keeps the flavour exactly where I want it as well :).

TC rules lol :D, as do DNA's :D.

That does look like an awesome bit of kit for the price! Might consider it on next FT order. Never knew anything about DNAs so thanks for the info :D

I actually have the Alien working OK in TC but think I might try thinner spaced coils next time. One thing you could help is understanding the wire gauges, i just dont get them :(

I use tc for literally everything. Squonking, RTAs, genesis, mesh, everything. I won't touch a mod unless it has decent temp control.

I can get any type of vape I like, and have tc active so that I never have a dry hit. The last dry hit I had was in 2015 I think, just before I sorted out temp control.

The kanger does not have a dna chipset. Kanger have their own proprietary chipset. The way they prevent overshooting on firing is by using a very soft profile for the pre-heat. Basically, it slowly raises the wattage towards the max wattage of the device, checking coil resistance as it does so. This gives a really long (for me) delay. It's akin to the ramp-up time you get on a beefy coil build, just with all your coils.

The really good chipsets are not just good because they accurately measure coil resistance (and therefore temperature). That should be a given. They are good because they allow you to adjust the pre-heat, wattage and power delivery profile.

The dna boards (above 40) are great. They allow a pre-heat wattage to be specified, coupled with a "hardness" setting and also a maximum pre-heat time. The hardness setting governs at what temperature below your set temperature that your pre-heat will turn off. The escribe software allows you to monitor your vape and record things like power output in real time on a chart. This really helps in understanding what the hell is going on with all the settings, and the effect they have. You can literally watch and record as the device "overshoots" due to a powerful pre-heat or poorly set wattage.

The yihi chipsets also allow different ramp-up wattages to be applied (soft, standard, powerful etc).

The dicodes chipset is also good in this respect. All settings are done on the mod and you can choose a preheat duration where it will hit the coil with whatever the max. wattage is (which can be adjusted).

Here's a decent article on tc settings:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

Some advantages to temp. controlled vaping (aside from the obvious lack of standard dry hits):
Zero ramp up time (if your mod is powerful enough) on large builds (claptons, fused, aliens etc).
No hotspots or shorts on a mesh genesis build, ever (use ni200 wire). Also, you don't need a mech mod to build on mesh if you use ni200 (no pulsing required).
Never dry hit due to forgetting to squonk--a big one for me.
Coils and wick last longer, because it's less likely you'll burn the $h!t out of them.
You know those metal tubes that you get with your RTA, which you never use because you need to see your juice? Well with tc active you can use them without ever worrying about a dry hit. So all those tank cracker juices can now go into your rta.

That does look like an awesome bit of kit for the price! Might consider it on next FT order. Never knew anything about DNAs so thanks for the info :D

I actually have the Alien working OK in TC but think I might try thinner spaced coils next time. One thing you could help is understanding the wire gauges, i just dont get them :(

For £58, the VT167 is an amazing bit of kit for that kind of cash. A semi decent dual or triple cell mod will easily run you £55+ UK these days. To pick up a 167 wattage limited full DNA 250 mod for that price is an awesome deal :D. Usually a DNA 200/250 in mods like the VT133/VT167 or the Therion 133/166 will run you around £90+ UK, even in China at the moment due to the £ Sterling continuing to plummet against the $ Dollar, deals on mods are nowhere near as good as they were and the same mods are still £90+ in China too :(. In some cases, buying a single mod as an individual customer from China now for many DNA mods is becoming cheaper to buy UK!! UNBELIEVABLE!! For many DNA 200/250 mods, you're looking at £130 average UK, frequently more. So, if you want to get going with a DNA 250 board for that kinda cheese, wouldn't dick around llooll ;).

That sale has been running a minimum of 3 weeks and a few Apes have taken advantage and ordered a VT167 lol. Not sure how much longer they'll be at that price. Don't know if they've reduced the price to clear out all of their stock or its a 28 day sale or what TBH?? Whatever the case, obviously they're not gonna be at that price forever lol :).

If you'd like more info on DNA's, your best bet would be Google, and search for DNA 200's initially. There are countless video tutorials and reviews on various models of the DNA 200. ALL DNA's are the same, so regardless of for example a 133 watt limited Hcigar VT133, a Wismec RX DNA 200 or a Lost Vape Triade DNA, because the boards are all EXACTLY and they all interface with Escribe exactly the same too (the companion software) regardless of the fact different manufacturers have built mods using the DNA 200 board, it doesn't matter which specific mods you watch videos for, it's the info on the functions and features of the DNA 200 itself you want to research OK :). A DNA 250 is more or less identical to the 200, it's essentially an upgraded version with the obvious 50 watts extra and a small handful of other relatively minor upgrades such as faster charging rates. So, if you're looking at a DNA 200 for information, you can more or less assume the same for the 250 ;).

Once you get an idea of what they are and what they can do, your interest will peak further still. Check out @Tubbyengineer 's signature as well, he did a couple of DNA reviews and how to's as well that you may find useful for insight :). Links to his YouTube videos are in his signature :).

Enjoy :D.

Back
Top Bottom