What's new

Need help with TC SS settings please

ScottishDuck13

Postman
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched a few different ways and couldnt find what I was looking for.

I initially tried TC with the 316l coil head I got with my Kanger Topbox, that was easy, stuck it in, changed mode to TC SS and played with temp till I found the sweet spot. I got an Alien 220 a while back and had been using in W only but I really liked the Kanger TC and got more flavour from it so thought i'd give it a try in this.

I got some 316l staggered fused claptons (26+32ga) ribbons, coming in around 0.2ohms. All wicked fine but I could not figure out the settings :S I looked up that SS should be at 0.0092... then i tried going up temp at 30w, 50w, 80w then 100w.... but just doesnt seem right, but also made the mistake of putting in a flavour and brand of liquid ive never tried so dunno if its just odd juice. What i wondered was the table said .0092 is for 0.5 recommended coil ohm.

So because my dual coils are coming in at 0.195ohms, should the resistance in the TC setting be adjusted? And what else do you guy find works best with the base wattage? Anything below 80w had no taste for me even going up to highest temp... I seemed to settle at 100w / 250c but like I said, doesnt seem right...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched a few different ways and couldnt find what I was looking for.

I initially tried TC with the 316l coil head I got with my Kanger Topbox, that was easy, stuck it in, changed mode to TC SS and played with temp till I found the sweet spot. I got an Alien 220 a while back and had been using in W only but I really liked the Kanger TC and got more flavour from it so thought i'd give it a try in this.

I got some 316l staggered fused claptons (26+32ga) ribbons, coming in around 0.2ohms. All wicked fine but I could not figure out the settings :S I looked up that SS should be at 0.0092... then i tried going up temp at 30w, 50w, 80w then 100w.... but just doesnt seem right, but also made the mistake of putting in a flavour and brand of liquid ive never tried so dunno if its just odd juice. What i wondered was the table said .0092 is for 0.5 recommended coil ohm.

So because my dual coils are coming in at 0.195ohms, should the resistance in the TC setting be adjusted? And what else do you guy find works best with the base wattage? Anything below 80w had no taste for me even going up to highest temp... I seemed to settle at 100w / 250c but like I said, doesnt seem right...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly most people say that TC works best with simple coils, I'm not sure staggered fused claptons are the way to go with TC.

that 0.0092 is the coefficient value of SS to use in the TCR settings, it shouldn't matter what the resistance of your coil is, it will still have the same coefficient value.

those beefy coils are going to take a lot of watts to get anywhere near the temp you have the mod set at, which is not ideal.

... I don't TC vape myself, so I expect someone with more knowledge will add more useful info soon, but I would suggest trying a simple spaced coil.

The setting should be the same as it's the same material. I assume it's SS around SS? Some Claptons can be mixed materials . have you spaced the coils out?

Have you checked the screws holding the coil in? If one is loose it causes the resistance to jump unpredictably and that can mess up the TC software.
Also, have you got another TC mod you can try it on?

Does the coil actually reach the temperature you're setting? I. E. Does temp control kick in?
Assuming all the wire is SS, it might be because the Clapton is taking a long time to ramp (warm) up.

Have a play and let us know what happens please. If it's not one of those, we can try other suggestions based on what happens.

Firstly most people say that TC works best with simple coils, I'm not sure staggered fused claptons are the way to go with TC.

that 0.0092 is the coefficient value of SS to use in the TCR settings, it shouldn't matter what the resistance of your coil is, it will still have the same coefficient value.

those beefy coils are going to take a lot of watts to get anywhere near the temp you have the mod set at, which is not ideal.

... I don't TC vape myself, so I expect someone with more knowledge will add more useful info soon, but I would suggest trying a simple spaced coil.

Yeah man, thats one of those lightbulb moments, as soon as I read your first line it made total sense.

I just changed up the juice to one i vape a lot so know very well and could then tell which setting need adjusted, have landed again at 100w @ 250c giving a really good flavour, that funny taste I had before must have been the juice.

I'd still like to know a bit more about it if any TC users could make it simple. I dont know what the difference is for example of having 80w / 300c to like 120w / 200c ?

I just turned my Kanger back on to nosey and realised it does actually have a wattage setting in TC (non-adjustable though) but seems preset at 75w.

The setting should be the same as it's the same material. I assume it's SS around SS? Some Claptons can be mixed materials . have you spaced the coils out?

Have you checked the screws holding the coil in? If one is loose it causes the resistance to jump unpredictably and that can mess up the TC software.
Also, have you got another TC mod you can try it on?

Does the coil actually reach the temperature you're setting? I. E. Does temp control kick in?
Assuming all the wire is SS, it might be because the Clapton is taking a long time to ramp (warm) up.

Have a play and let us know what happens please. If it's not one of those, we can try other suggestions based on what happens.

Yeah I had looked at the Kanthal A1 / 316L mix wraps but this is just SS. Coils were prewrapped and the werent spaced, like simong said, maybe too fancy for what I'm trying. Only other mod I have is the Kanger but thats only single battery, would that make any difference to the power or is dual battery purely to keep a longer charge?

Last question, I think i know what you mean but how can you tell when TC kicks in? Is that when you can sort of sense the power taking little dips when inhaling?

Yeah man, thats one of those lightbulb moments, as soon as I read your first line it made total sense.

I just changed up the juice to one i vape a lot so know very well and could then tell which setting need adjusted, have landed again at 100w @ 250c giving a really good flavour, that funny taste I had before must have been the juice.

I'd still like to know a bit more about it if any TC users could make it simple. I dont know what the difference is for example of having 80w / 300c to like 120w / 200c ?

I just turned my Kanger back on to nosey and realised it does actually have a wattage setting in TC (non-adjustable though) but seems preset at 75w.

yeah on the older devices the wattage was set at the maximum available in TC mode (so 75w on the kanger) then you just adjust the temp to how you like it.... varying the wattage in TC just alters the available power to get the coil to the temp you have it set at.

so in your examples you'd have 80w of power available to get the coil to the 300c you have it set at ... and 120w of power available to get your coil to 200c.

with the same coil, obviously the 120w/200c would get there much quicker as you have more power and a lower temp to hit, so you'd have a fast ramp up to 200c using 120w of power and the TC would limit the 120w down to keep it at 200c once it got there.

yeah on the older devices the wattage was set at the maximum available in TC mode (so 75w on the kanger) then you just adjust the temp to how you like it.... varying the wattage in TC just alters the available power to get the coil to the temp you have it set at.

so in your examples you'd have 80w of power available to get the coil to the 300c you have it set at ... and 120w of power available to get your coil to 200c.

with the same coil, obviously the 120w/200c would get there much quicker as you have more power and a lower temp to hit, so you'd have a fast ramp up to 200c using 120w of power and the TC would limit the 120w down to keep it at 200c once it got there.

That makes sense thanks. So the next stupid question is if the point of TC is to reach a temp and keep it there, why would you want to set a low wattage?

and with the other example, with a short pull with 80w, you might not even get to 300c, so the temp control would do nothing ... if that makes sense?

Take your 80w/300c example.

The 80w is the power the mod is going to initially deliver to the coil/s and 300c is the coil temperature that the mod will attempt not to exceed by backing off the power as it nears the target temperature.(this can be seen if you watch the display, as you vape) If you set your watts really low, the mod may never reach the target coil temperature and too high a wattage and the temperature will be reached too soon and cut off power in mid vape.

Another factor when vaping in temperature control is you. The airflow you draw across the coil will vary the rate at which the coil temperature increases and is worth remembering.

That makes sense thanks. So the next stupid question is if the point of TC is to reach a temp and keep it there, why would you want to set a low wattage?

good question ..... and one I can't answer for sure.

If I had to guess I would say that some people just prefer a slightly slower ramp up rather than a 'boom' straight up to temp hit.

Back
Top Bottom