What's new

Dual Metal Coils

Steve Brooksbank

So I have just purchased some Vandy Vape alien coils which I was planning to use in TC mode as I thought they were ss316l but I have noticed the coils are built from 2 different metals (kanthal and ss - see picture). So which mode will these work with please? Thanks

20181031_140619.jpg

What @razz1979 said.

Plus they're fancy coils which aren't usually much cop in TC mode. Or at least @nwhornet said that once, and I trust him.

Well as much as you can trust someone who uses TC AND squonks.

:2thumbsup:

yeah, the core is Kanthal, if the core was SS you might get away with the wrap being Kanthal... maybe.

Core has to be TC wire, outer wrap can be anything but Kanthal will take longer to cool down so may throw TC out.

I can't think of any application where those coils would be appropriate. 3x26 + 30 is too much of any metal even for cloud chucking with an RDA that has massive airflow. Those are going to stay hot forever and cook your juice.

I've seen a lot of Chinese fancy wire out there with this problem. I don't know what they're thinking, but it leads to a lot of "why are my coils all black?" questions on the forums. Fortunately it looks like some of them are starting to figure it out, Wotofo for example and some of the newer offerings from Demon Killer and Coilology.

My rule of thumb for DTL fused claptons is to stick to 2x26, 3x28, or 4x30 cores in SS or Ni80 with a wrap of 38 to 42. These can all be made to perform well in mech or regulated and will heat and cool at a reasonable rate.

Back
Top Bottom