What's new

Coiling with SS

I dry burn all my coils except ni200 and Titanium. Easiest way to get them glowing right.

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Watched a few of builds on you tube and everyone does something different.

I dry burned my first attempt. Still using it. Vapes a treat. Don't think I'll turn back after SS.

What thickness wire you using and what ohms and what mod you using for tc? I've only used 0.40mm so far and not tried a micro coil yet but find it works great using a spaced coil. 7 wraps around a 2.5mm bit comes out around 0.5 ohms.

28awg, dual coils with cuboid, presa tc75 and evic mini. But it's all grand, I recoiled first my velocity then my crius and they are both playing nicely. Seems spacing is the key!

TC first timer, SS316L, 26G, 6 or 7 spaced wraps, 0.6 ohm, Subtank Mini on an EVIC Mini.

Like it.

I tried some 316L for the 1st time this morning. 26 awg from stealthvapes. Dual coil, 9 wrap contact coils around a 3mm bit. Couldn't see the harm in dry burning them unless someone can tell me otherwise. I'm using a DNA 200 with the steam engine TCR, locked the resistance at 0.35, preheat disabled and at a starting temp of 380f it was very inaccurate. As I started to increase the temp however it seemed to be more stable.

It's now currently at 540f and is preforming fine, no dry hit and not burning. Early days but so far pretty impressed :57:

Edit. Just tried a spaced coil. Stability has improved.

Last edited:
I tried some 316L for the 1st time this morning. 26 awg from stealthvapes.

Me too. Kinda wish I had gone for the 28 gauge having now seen @danb's recommendation to keep the ohms up in the .5 region, however, have popped dual 2.5 ID 6 wrap spaced coils in the rdta coming in at .21 ohms and getting a really nice vape.
Initially found it very fiery at 50 watts and 400F and felt like it wasn't maintaining temp but going beyond it on long draws. I also found that inputting the TCR in the vtc mini (0200) gave a more stable vape than the preset 316ss setting. Anyway, after a bit of experimentation I have found it works best for me down at 33 watts and 360F. Nice warm vape, seemingly stable TC and cloudy as can be. Will try to get some higher resistance builds but have a feeling 28 gauge might be the way to go for dual builds. Impressed though. Easy peasy to coil and nice clean taste.

I've been using it for a few months now. Always keep my builds above 0.5ohm. Initially was using the UD 28awg, very clean stuff and now using the MKWS Clapton, again very clean but I always give it a quick clean with Isopropyl.
Dry burning is fine but I find it makes the stainless go dull, just lately I haven't been bothering and give the coils a rinse then use some cotton to remove any gunk and they are staying more shiny.

I'm really enjoying the clean flavour of SS. Got some 24g 316L from stealthvape. Running 10 spaced 3mm wrap dual coil on the Griffin and it's stunning :)

Me too. Kinda wish I had gone for the 28 gauge having now seen @danb's recommendation to keep the ohms up in the .5 region, however, have popped dual 2.5 ID 6 wrap spaced coils in the rdta coming in at .21 ohms and getting a really nice vape.
Initially found it very fiery at 50 watts and 400F and felt like it wasn't maintaining temp but going beyond it on long draws. I also found that inputting the TCR in the vtc mini (0200) gave a more stable vape than the preset 316ss setting. Anyway, after a bit of experimentation I have found it works best for me down at 33 watts and 360F. Nice warm vape, seemingly stable TC and cloudy as can be. Will try to get some higher resistance builds but have a feeling 28 gauge might be the way to go for dual builds. Impressed though. Easy peasy to coil and nice clean taste.

I agree. 28 gauge for dual coils is the way to go. The 1st few builds I've done have been 26 gauge Dual builds, and the resistance is a touch too low to be totally stable. I was getting what I can only describe as temp spikes. The temperature graph on Escribe confirmed as much.

Last night I tried a high ohm (0.8) single coil build in a TFV4. I chose this tank because I find for a single coil rba, it has good air flow, and I wanted to test at high temperatures. The higher resistance resulted in a far more stable vape, and the graph was a lot more accurate, not as accurate as NiFe or NI200 but a vast improvement.

Last edited:
Ive got some 316L wire but my mods only read Ti and Ni.
What do you guys recommend I set it to?

Ive got some 316L wire but my mods only read Ti and Ni.
What do you guys recommend I set it to?

Don't think Ti or Ni settings will work very well although I haven't tried. I just use wattage mode on mods that don't have ss316L or tcr.

Back
Top Bottom