What's new

Looking for a 22mm single coil RDA for squonking, but that doesn't rely on exotic coils - any ideas?

fermento

Initiate
I want to replace a vapefly pixie that sits on my squonker with something a bit nicer. The pixie is fine, but the flavour is just OK, and the 2-part topcap design is really annoying. I DO like the airflow though - the level of restriction is nice for me.

What I want is a 22mm RDA that vapes great with simple builds - either 26g SS or 24g Kanthal. I really like the simplicity and cheapness of simple round wire coils. I've been reading up on some of these little squonky RDAs (Venna, Citadel, KRMA, etc.) and I often run into the idea that they really want bigger exotic coils to work well, but surely there must be something out there that doesn't mind a roundwire build? I am normally an MTL RTA guy so I am a bit out of my depth here! Any suggestions?

EDIT: Sorry - my connection bugged out and I didn't realise that my first attempt to make this thread had worked!

This little cracker is my favourite 22mm squonk atty for MTL, round wire is ideal for this though I prefer 28awg

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/reviews/rda/vapefly-galaxies-mtl-squonk-rdta.html

Vapefly-Galaxies-MTL-Squonk-RDTA-1.jpg

Sorry - I think i wasn't clear! I normally vape MTL, but I am looking for something for a bit of restricted DL vaping when I am squonking.

As for the galaxies, I have one too! I don't use it so much any more though - being an RDTA it isn't pocket friendly, and I find the Holic to be basically the same but better... The problem I had with both, though, is that the side airflow adjustments felt like a gimmick - as soon as I opened them up the draw got really sloppy and didn't feel like I want an MTL to feel. That's not so much a problem, just a feature I didn't understand...

I have a fair few 22mm single coil rda’s, all used for squonking, don’t use any exotic coils, i find they all work better with simple builds, what I do use tho rather than round wire, is flat wire, basically it’s round wire that has been flattened, gives you more surface area to your coil, resulting in better flavour from a similar build in round wire...

To me it sound like you already have your answer, the Galaxies RDTA and the Holic both open up for a restrictive DTL, a wider bore drip tip also helps.

If you are after something with more airflow then perhaps the Drop Solo.

To me it sound like you already have your answer, the Galaxies RDTA and the Holic both open up for a restrictive DTL, a wider bore drip tip also helps.

If you are after something with more airflow then perhaps the Drop Solo.

I hadn't at all thought of opening up the Holic - I just gave it a try (fully open inside and out) and it was pretty good! Not a particularly dense vape, but a flavoursome one and a pretty satisfying one.

Poet RDA is also worth a look! :) As others above, I don't use "Exotic" coils either but would highly recommend Flat Wire (As only use Mechs/Fet Mods, I use Ni80/90) :)

Back
Top Bottom