What's new

What's causing my short?

Rordog17

Postman
I have a tarot nano with an avacado on top. All was fine with single coil double twisted. Decided to try dual coil just twisted instead of double. It was reading at 0.17.. Dry fired all of a sudden it looked like a grub screw sparked. Atomizer short. Tried another atty & it's working fine but when there is no atty on the ohms on the mod read 9.99. Tried changing back to the Single coil. Reads 0.00 atomizer short :/ in desperate need of help. It was all going so well. Gutted

Photo might help.
Bit of wire maybe snapped off & is shorting the posts.

It is working now. Realized one of the coils had an extra wrap. Woops. Could this been the problem. The wierd thing is it was not working with the old coil that was fine before :s & I'm still unsure about the 9.99 resistance with no atty on im sure that wasn't the case before. Seen as im in the rebuildables section how do I achieve a large coil mass built for high wattage/surface area withought going too low in resistance? Sorry for the 20 questions I still have alot to learn! Any help massively apppriciated.

Do you mean the legs could of possibly been to short as in 1 of the wires in the twist was not making contact with the grub ? Thanks in advance

how do I achieve a large coil mass built for high wattage/surface area withought going too low in resistance?

Use steam engine and play with wire types. I'd guess you want to look at Ni80 for larger mass coils without ohms dropping too low.

You can't realistically go high wattage without low ohm. You need the extra power to heat the wire. Try running a 0.5ohm coil at 100w & you'll see what I mean. As @John R said look at Ni80 flatwire (Brochrome) as this will give you the larger area you're after without needing mega watts required for claptons etc.
In Steamengine use wire wizard to try different combinations & then put the same build in coil wrapping to see the heat flux.

Thanks I'm just abit wary of using ni80 as it can be dangerous withought temp control right? I don't mind ramping up the wattage I just don't want to go dangerously low with the resistance as I'm only running a single battery

Nope, that's Nickel you're thinking of. Ni80 is nichrome.

Nice one. Thats good to hear I've heard people raving about ni80 so il give that a pop. Favourite ni80 wires anyone

Back
Top Bottom