What's new

Taifun GT Clone

GT with cotton, every time. Once you have your cotton through the coil. Lift it so that it is pointing straight up. Cut a small, and I mean small, piece of cotton and place it on the deck under the cut out you will eventually lay the cotton through. Do this on both sides. Fit your cotton. Cut the cotton leaving about 5mm sticking out. Soak your wick. Put top cap on. Fill and put together. The small pieces of cotton will aid in wicking as well as soak up any excess juice. Enjoy.:grin2:

One more thing to add here.

The chimney top piece section of the taifun ( obscured by the top stainless sleeve )

If you haven't got this o ring piece in there correct, it will leak juice.

I had issues with my TFGT leaking no matter what I did with it, got the ass and left it. - Then bought a complete see-through poly tank and can now see exact height of the chimney I need.

Anyway, just a good un and no leaks.

:)

The small pieces of cotton will aid in wicking as well as soak up any excess juice. Enjoy.:grin2:

I just can't quite get my head around this 'adding extra on top' malarky. for example - "will aid in wicking"? to me, that means the same as "the wick is no good without an extra bit on top" which also means, well to me anyway, that the wick was crap, so to make a crap wick better, but more on top. :P and also "soak up any excess juice" which, to me anyway, means that excess juice is getting on to the coil, which, again, equates to a crap wick that's not doing the job in the first place.
I know loads of people lay extra wicking on top of their coils, and some even swear by them, but I much prefer to use a wick/coil that works in the first place.
The Taifun needs a fairly thick wick, to fill the slots. You can, in reality, only achieve that, during extended use, with silica or eko/voodoo. Cotton is great, but as every user of cotton wicking knows, it does compact and "felt" after a short time of use, which is OK if you don't mind shoving a new bit in every day, which is great for drippers, but I like shoving a new wick and coil into a tank device, and do nowt else until I put a new coil in two weeks later.
I used cotton in the Taifun, for a while, a few months back, and it was OK, but I gave up and went back to ekowool because I realised that I was fast becoming a slave to cotton balls.

I just can't quite get my head around this 'adding extra on top' malarky. for example - "will aid in wicking"? to me, that means the same as "the wick is no good without an extra bit on top" which also means, well to me anyway, that the wick was crap, so to make a crap wick better, but more on top. :P and also "soak up any excess juice" which, to me anyway, means that excess juice is getting on to the coil, which, again, equates to a crap wick that's not doing the job in the first place.
I know loads of people lay extra wicking on top of their coils, and some even swear by them, but I much prefer to use a wick/coil that works in the first place.
The Taifun needs a fairly thick wick, to fill the slots. You can, in reality, only achieve that, during extended use, with silica or eko/voodoo. Cotton is great, but as every user of cotton wicking knows, it does compact and "felt" after a short time of use, which is OK if you don't mind shoving a new bit in every day, which is great for drippers, but I like shoving a new wick and coil into a tank device, and do nowt else until I put a new coil in two weeks later.
I used cotton in the Taifun, for a while, a few months back, and it was OK, but I gave up and went back to ekowool because I realised that I was fast becoming a slave to cotton balls.

No if you read my post I believe I said you put a little piece on the base under the grooves you then put the coiled cotton in its normal place. I have found this helps me and I have had no problems with juice leaking from any where on the GT even with a change of pressure or temperature. I was giving the ob some info that might help him in the future as well as others on the forum. I believe that is what we are here for.

I see where you are coming from pez . We all have our ways, and if it works for you then it's a win win.

It's just my nature to ask a few "why's"

Last edited:

This is the rub....different atties seem to react differently....even if there the same model....

My genuine acts differently to my hcigar one....but not by much....

I use the bear minimum cotton that i can, as i personally find that if they have to much they "overwick" with to much juice, and the gurgle or flood out of the airhole......the only time ive used a 'flavour wick' of cotton over the mesh....and that was because the mesh in the taifun wasnt wicking enough, and flodded :)

I use about 1mm of overhang on each side of the gap and that suits me fine....no dry hits, flooding or gurgles....just masses of flavour and vapour...

I use slightly more cotton in my hcigar then my genuine TF, and this again seems to affect the performance....and this again maybe why there is so many variations....

I would wager that the genuine TF's are more consistent then clones....and this is why there are so many inconsistencies with builds....

Just to reiterate, the best build that ive found, is........

.28 kanthal, 5/6 wraps, microcoil, cotton wool = 1.1ohms - 1.3ohms

Now, while this build is awesome for custard (and powwow at 1.3ohms is perfectomondo) i dont know what other liquids perform like...

50/50 liquids are perfect, and anything upto 80vg works well (as do any plumeblu) But again, this is personal preference......

;)

Sent From My Galaxy S4

I see where you are coming from @pez . We all have our ways, and if it works for you then it's a win win.

It's just my nature to ask a few "why's"

No probs mate, it works for me on both real and unreal one.:grin2::grin2:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402956455.288703.jpg

This is how i do mine, loose cotton and a strip of 2mm silica, lovely flavour and vapour production

Thing to note, I've got 3 different clone gt's. All 3 have variations in the chimney holes where the wick sits. This means I have different wick requirements for each. The recommended genuine taifun set up uses 3 strands of 2mm silica, I can tell you that I couldn't get 2strands through the holes on my clones without choking off the wick with the chimney top. This inconstancy is the price paid using the clones, that's why there's so many different 'this works for me and that works you'.

With this in mind, it's the fundamentals that can be applied to all genuine and non genuine GT's. A preferred medium that wicks quick enough for your coil, that fills the chimney holes enough to stop leaking but not so much that the chimney top restricts or cuts off the flow to the coil. Unfortunately there is no one size fits all solution to the clone GT's in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Try using 28awg. I get a denser, more flavourful vape with the 28. Your coil must be quite small or very few raps with the 0.25 to come out at that resistance.

I use 8-9 wraps of 0.32 (28awg) around one of them little blue screwdrivers you get with some clone attys. I'm guessing approx 2mm diameter. It runs at approx 1.6 ohms. That's the best setup that I've found for me.

Make sure the coil sits about 2mm above the air hole. If there is a big gap I find the flavour suffers a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

I made the coil on a 1.4mm screw driver it is 6 or 7 wraps of 0.25mm Kanthal and my ohms meter says 1.37 ohms. I am quite new to rebuildables and I am just trying different setups. To get started I bought 0.25 and 0.32 so I will give the larger diameter wire on the next build.

Back
Top Bottom