What's new

Smok RSST - what a delight after the AGA T2!

Doc_Gonzo

Postman
I made a new wick and coil for my AGA T2 this morning and I found a screwdriver that fit the wick hole perfectly, so I was able to get a really good coil with 4 loops of 0.20mm Kanthal A1 and the wick oxidized about 6 times each, quenching with water, burning juice on it. I put it on my ego battery and no hot spots - glowing like a champ. I also did the spring and washer mod and put it on my Transformer. Resistance started at 3.4 and jumped up to 4.5 when wet. Frustrated, I put it back on the ego and enjoyed a decent vape.
The courier arrived and there was my RSST. I set that up exactly the same but feeling rather disheartened by my earlier failure. To my surprise, I put it on the Transformer and it read 3.0 before dropping to a comfortable 2.3 ohms. Vaping at 4.4V and it's producing clouds of vapor. I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong with the AGA T2 but for anyone looking to get into Genesis style atties, I'd definitely recommend the RSST :2thumbsup:

I think the insulated wick hole in the RSST is a big help and some people find the spring/washer set-up on the positive post easier too [I prefer the nuts on the Aga]. The only down side with the RSST is its leaking issues and there's no replacement pyrex tank available. When I was using mesh for wicks, I preferred the RSST, but since I've switched to SS rope I've gone back to using the Aga much more frequently, it seems to wick better than the RSST for some reason.

The insulated wick hole could be what makes the difference then? Interesting - thanks! I would have thought that my wicks were properly oxidized but I only have lighters and not a butane torch (one ordered). I wonder if it's possible to get a small piece of electricians insulating tape around the wick in just the right place? Do you know if anyone has tried that?
I'll be trying the SS rope in a day or so - got some on order.
I haven't experienced any leaking issues with the RSST yet, but it's still early and I'll see how it goes when it's resting on the couch whilst I'm reading a book tonight!

I am not the greatest Genesis person going but a lighter flame is probably better for "oxidation" (I always thought oxidation meant rusting as far as steel goes but hey) as the yellow flame will deposit a sooty layer on the surface of the thing being flamed and basically you're trying to get a layer of carbon on the wick to stop it being conductive.

PTFE tape around the centre post is a good plan but putting clingfilm or insulating tape or anything like that around a wick hole is probably a really bad idea as wicks get HOT and breathing in plastic fumes isn't good.

The cling film idea sounds like it's worth a try. I've tinkered enough with the thing as it is so a bit more won't bother me! I've ordered some PTFE tape too as it was only £1 on Ebay. I'm not sure what's meant by the leaking issues but I'm seeing a lot of condensation forming inside, on the top and I'm guessing that's related to it. Well, these atties all seem to have their little problems but I'm sure I'll work it out eventually :sleepy:

Edit to add - Sorry Vapercaper - I didn't see your post before I posted mine. You have a good point about the cling film and the lighter! I'll try the butane torch when it arrives and look into something heat resistant for the wick. . . . Hmmmmmm!

Last edited:
I found that the soot from a lighter wipes off too easily. Although, for some reason, it did allow me to use the pulse method on my Vamo to get it working properly. I just had to prod the coil after every pulse, otherwise it would show me the low ohms message. I'm not sure, but yeah, that's probably not too safe. Oh well. Using a hotter flame bonds the oxygen particles in the air to the metal, thus 'oxidisation'. Although you will get this with a lighter's flame, it's probably a good bit quicker and more effective to use a torch. Sorry for the lack of formatting, I can't seem to use the 'return' key.

Last edited:
I find using the gas cooker is best to oxidise also another method I have found to work on the aga is to use all the usual methods and then wrap a piece of cig paper round the end where the coil is wraped and then wind the wire around it and when u fire it up for the first time the paper burns away leaving a perfect layer of carbon under the coils then just blow the ash away. I got this of one of scotts vids from ecig reviews and its worked a treat every time.

Back
Top Bottom