What's new

Rebuilt CE4 head

Triumph

Postman
Ay up,

thought I'd have a bash at rebuilding a CE4 head, used 0.2 kanthal, I felt like a caveman inventing fire when I wrapped it up, fired it up and wahey we have lift off.

reassembled it, juiced up and bluuurggh it tastes like I'm vaping a tank of iron filings filtered through a steel workers jockstrap - really hideous metallic taste.

i flamed the kanthal 3 times before using, and used a pin to add a bit of space between the wick and the coil.

any ideas? Coil too loose perhaps?

thanks in advance

Hehe that made me chuckle lol, try giving it some time to bed in maybe, I also burn the wick till it glows before I coil it, but still get abit of nasty for the first half tank or so :)

Ah ok, maybe I need to burn the wick too, the wick was the original one from the CE4 (it was brand new & didn't need a new coil, I just thought I'd have a bash) don't know if they flame treat them at source?
it really is foul though :( tastes and smells hideous, I'll try & grin & bear it for half a tank!

Ah ok, maybe I need to burn the wick too, the wick was the original one from the CE4 (it was brand new & didn't need a new coil, I just thought I'd have a bash) don't know if they flame treat them at source?
it really is foul though :( tastes and smells hideous, I'll try & grin & bear it for half a tank!

Must admit I never had success rebuilding ce4/5 heads for some reason, always turned out how you described, the only way I got them working ok was to cut the wicks really short and keeping it tilted :)

Pah, now you tell me! ;)
Hmmm wonder why that is? Perhaps you have to be a bit more precise with them as there's only so much juice getting to the top of the wick or something.
ill try & stick with it until tomorrow, have another go if need be, and failing that give up!!
Heads for them aren't expensive anyway, just thought it'd be a handy skill to have.

Must admit I never had success rebuilding ce4/5 heads for some reason, always turned out how you described, the only way I got them working ok was to cut the wicks really short and keeping it tilted :)

Back
Top Bottom