What's new

Question about voltage draw on series mods

Subohmoctopus

Postman
Hi there,

Just got a question I cant seem to find the answer to... So im currently running the Alien 220 watt Mod with the Drop Dead RDA with my coil rated at 0.14 ohms

Im using LG HB6 30amp rated batteries.

My question is, does a series mod prioritise using the available voltage over the available amps? My mod is currently reading that its using around 30amps battery if I use at 110 watts and only 4 volts of the available 8.2volts. Is this because the mod is regulating it to draw the max amps over available voltage?

My main concern is that ive just ordered a broadside stacked mech mod (obviously i will build a higher ohm coil in that) but in a stacked mech mod (so its in series) will this draw out all available voltage (so about 8.4volts full charge) and use only 30 amps max, or will it do something like try and draw 3 volts using 80 amps and blow up in my face

Also, when i push 110 watts or higher on my regulated 220 watt alien why does it start going over 30 amps and stay around 4 volts instead of increasing the voltage used?

Thanks

1. P=VI

2. V=IR

These are you two equations for calculating if you are vaping safely.

Where P is power (watts), V is the potential difference (Volts), I is the current (Amps) and R is the resistance of the coil (Ohms).

A cell at maximum charge holds a potential of 4.2 volts

Two cells in parallel hold a potential of 4.2 volts

Two cells in series hold a potential of 8.4 volts

Regulated devices use a circuit board that controls the PD applied to the circuit through stepping it up and down. This is irrelevant to your mech question.

I’m not sure I understand what your mech question is? I think you are asking what voltage will be applied to the circuit? The answer is 8.4 volts, which will then diminish over time. The current flowing through the circuit will be determined by your coil resistance. Use the second equation to calculate if that falls within the safe parameters of your cells.

*If you are going mech then please use decent cells from a reputable supplier.

1. P=VI

2. V=IR

These are you two equations for calculating if you are vaping safely.

Where P is power (watts), V is the potential difference (Volts), I is the current (Amps) and R is the resistance of the coil (Ohms).

A cell at maximum charge holds a potential of 4.2 volts

Two cells in parallel hold a potential of 4.2 volts

Two cells in series hold a potential of 8.4 volts

Regulated devices use a circuit board that controls the PD applied to the circuit through stepping it up and down. This is irrelevant to your mech question.

I’m not sure I understand what your mech question is? I think you are asking what voltage will be applied to the circuit? The answer is 8.4 volts, which will then diminish over time. The current flowing through the circuit will be determined by your coil resistance. Use the second equation to calculate if that falls within the safe parameters of your cells.

*If you are going mech then please use decent cells from a reputable supplier.

Hey, im not sure you understand the question im asking, let me try and elaborate a little more. Its actually a few questions i suppose so sorry for any confusion.

Firstly, on my Alien 220watt regulated device im using a 0.138 ohm coil build, I understand that the mod regulates the voltage and amps, im wondering why if i go over 110 watts it starts using over 30 amps (when my batteries are rated 30amps) and only 4 volts (because the batteries in series have a potential of up to 8.4volts) why is it pushing the amp limit and not increasing the used voltage?

This in turn raises my concern about using the stacked mech mod, which as we know will be in series and have a potential voltage output of 8.4 volts and 30amps. In a mech mod, will it use all 8.4volts of potential voltage before pushing the 30 amp limit?

Is this quirk in the potential voltage being unused just an occurance because of my series moderated device trying to regulate my voltage output and amps at some kind of equal ratio or is it something to be concerned about whwn using a mech mod?

Edit: im using 2 LG HB6 cells from Fogstar with a continuous amp diacharge rating of 30amps

Hope you understand what my concerns and questions are a little better now =)

... almost nothing that applies to mechs applies to regulated mods, remember that and you won't go wrong, don't try and compare the two like this because it won't make sense.

I think I have just figured out the answer to one of my questions, because ive built the coil to be 0.13 ohms it has a wattage output of around 450-500 on a mech mod configuration and an amp draw of around 60. Just to confirm, is it because the amp draw is around 60 that my regulated device is pushing 30 amps past 110 watts whilst only using 4 volts?

For example, (i havent actually calculated this, its just a hypothetical situation) if i were to build coil at about 0.35ohms and tried to push 200watts on my regulated mod would this result in the amp draw not being pushed past 30 amps and the voltage draw being higher?

Also just as a side note, i do understand ohms law and building coils and battery safety, i only went this low on ohms because its a regulated device, whereas in a mech i would build beteeen 0.3 to 0.5ohms in the coil so that the wattage output isnt ridiculously high and the amps are acceptable

Its a 0.13ohm coil, this means that on an unregulated mech mod it pulls about 60amps from the batteries with the potential 8.4volts it has, if i push past 100watts on my regulated alien device it starts reading that its drawing over 30amps.

I only have 30amps available in my LG HB6 batteries with around 8.4 potential voltage. I hypothesise that this means i cant actually use over 100 watts without it being dangerous and therefore im only able to actually use half of my battery voltage power

In order to harness all of my potential voltage and amps i would have to build a higher resistance ohm coil, because in my series confoguration i only have 30amps available.

Around a 0.3ohms coil will draw 28amps max, and so at higher wattage will use more of the available voltage to be able to produce more watts without pushing my amp limits. On a series mech mod this produces 234 watts and theoretically on my Alien mod i should be able to go up to 220watts whilst only drawing 28amps

Its a 0.13ohm coil, this means that on an unregulated mech mod it pulls about 60amps from the batteries with the potential 8.4volts it has, if i push past 100watts on my regulated alien device it starts reading that its drawing over 30amps.

I only have 30amps available in my LG HB6 batteries with around 8.4 potential voltage. I hypothesise that this means i cant actually use over 100 watts without it being dangerous and therefore im only able to actually use half of my battery voltage power

In order to harness all of my potential voltage and amps i would have to build a higher resistance ohm coil, because in my series confoguration i only have 30amps available.

Around a 0.3ohms coil will draw 28amps max, and so at higher wattage will use more of the available voltage to be able to produce more watts without pushing my amp limits. On a series mech mod this produces 234 watts and theoretically on my Alien mod i should be able to go up to 220watts whilst only drawing 28amps

A 30a draw on a regulated mod with 2 cells would be 15a per cell. The voltage limit is decided by the mod, the resistance of the coil is irrelevant and 100w on an alien mod would be around 17amps max and 13amps on fully charged batteries.

A 30a draw on a regulated mod with 2 cells would be 15a per cell. The voltage limit is decided by the mod, the resistance of the coil is irrelevant and 100w on an alien mod would be around 17amps max and 13amps on fully charged batteries.

My mod is saying 28amps and 4 volts on 100watts? I have 2 30 amp batteries in and its a series mod, so you're saying regulated mods half your amp draw?! :eek:

Howcome my alien is pulling 28amps on 100watts with half battery and max potential voltage of 8.4 volts when resistance is not an issue in regulated mods? Is this just because the calculations in the smok alien are a bit whacky

c6L0cUI

(Picture of my mod screen here) -

Last edited:
A 30a draw on a regulated mod with 2 cells would be 15a per cell.

In parallel, not in series.

Any mod putting out over 80W will be a series device.

OP, I’m still not clear what you are asking as your questions are mixing terms and scenarios. As I’ve already written, what is happening with the output of a regulated device has absolutely no relevance to a mech mod.

For a mech using series cells:

The highest PD applied = 8.4V
You claimed current limit for the cells is 30A

Therefore the lowest build you can use is 0.28 ohm coil

On first firing, this gives a power output of 252W, which will rapidly diminish as the cells run down.

Back
Top Bottom