What's new

Problems with NI200

Positive it's a spaced coil and I have checked for hotspots, first thing I did when it started.
Tried 210 it's way to low for me even with the joules maxed out

That's the kicker aint it, there ain't a hope in hell that you can get an rda with the right sized airflow holes in for an NI200 coil seeing as they need to be spaced.

Nope, they dont need to be spaced coils - Mine certainly arent...
IMG_2100.jpg

Right here's what I've found, Use something in the region of 0.3mm wire, preferably the tempered stuff from Rob @stealthvape, Wind the coil tightly then fire it with the temp control mode off until it just starts to show red.

Now using the same tool you wound the coil on pull the coil away from the posts - up or out depending on where the holes are, nickel seems to stretch a bit when it's been heated, once its tight-ish on the tool you can then take up the slack on the leads and position the coil properly.

Fire it again and watch for "hot" wraps, if you get one or two wraps that heat up more than others you will need to "Strum" the coil, just run a pointy tool or flat screwdriver gently across the coil using just enough pressure to move the wraps very slightly sideways - this will move the coils apart just enough to stop hot wraps.

Now the coil is working properly you can wick it, be careful not to put too much cotton in as this will "choke" the wick and liquid flow will be reduced - resulting in a cold weak vape as the coil hits it's temperature too quicky and gets throttled back, lots of liquid in the wick will keep heat moving away from the coil and into the juice- this will give you a nice warm moist vape.

Setting the best temperature for your juice is a matter of trial and error but if you run too hot you will get black gunk on your wick and coil, this means you need to turn the temperature down start around 370f or 380f and go up or down from there (SX Mini M class need to be 60 or 70 degrees lower as they use a combination of Voltage level and PWM to control the temperature while DNA40's use just voltage level.

Don't forget that the wattage only affects how much vapour you get not coil temperature so you may want to use a higher wattage setting than normal, try around 15 or 20 to start with.

If you find a line of gunk on part of your coil when you go to rewick that is a sure sign you have a hot wrap - all the temperature control devices take an average of the coil resistance to work out the temperature so if you have one wrap that is shorting to another that will be the lowest resistance area in the coil and will get hotter than the rest of the coil -

Right then after a short break from this temp control in droppers am giving it another go.
Same bloody problems though am getting a really harsh throat hit with a juice that I know has next to no throat hit.
It feels as if am getting a dry hit in temp control.
Am using an IPV4 and a tugboat V1, spaced 30guage annealed NI200 12 wraps on a 3mm screwdriver and am at 250c at 27.5j.

Am I doing something wrong?
Am I slightly off somewhere?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated guys.
Cheers!

Looking at this picture there may be too much cotton, and ensure that the coil is positioned so that air hits it from just below or directly onto the coil...

Haha, nice build but God dam it what am I doing wrong?
What gauge wire are you using?
Resistance?
Settings?

Thats 2 twisted strands of 0.25 Temepered NI200 from Rob @stealthvape, its stiffer than the annealed stuff from the mesh company. I'm running that at about 350 to 400f (175c to 205c) at 20j on the SX Mini resistance is .98 ohms.

Last edited:
Im confused using heatvapes occ coil, in the heatvape invader... if i attempt 380 -500f on anything from 20w - 50w, there's no vapor - may as well use a ego!
I have to vape @ 550 -580f on 40+ watts then its producing normal amounts

But im sure this is not how its supposed to be, as my cotton will burn, and coils will gunk ...

Any suggestions?

Im confused using heatvapes occ coil, in the heatvape invader... if i attempt 380 -500f on anything from 20w - 50w, there's no vapor - may as well use a ego!
I have to vape @ 550 -580f on 40+ watts then its producing normal amounts

But im sure this is not how its supposed to be, as my cotton will burn, and coils will gunk ...

Any suggestions?

There seems to be a lot of variation on temperature settings, I've got DNA40's, ans SXMIni M class and a E-Vic VT60, the Ego One supplied withthe VT60 needs to be pushed up to 500f with the Titanium coil to get a decent amount of vapour and I'm honestly not happy with the flavour - that coil is designed in the standard OCC coil fashion - namely the chimney coil style. The Heron that I use normally requires about 350f on the SX Mini, about 370 on the DNA40, and 430f on the VT60 - all those different temperature settings give roughly the same result. The SX Mini I can explain the lower temperature settings from the way the Multi level PWM works but why the VT60 needs to be so much higher I'm at a loss to explain...

There seems to be a lot of variation on temperature settings, I've got DNA40's, ans SXMIni M class and a E-Vic VT60, the Ego One supplied withthe VT60 needs to be pushed up to 500f with the Titanium coil to get a decent amount of vapour and I'm honestly not happy with the flavour - that coil is designed in the standard OCC coil fashion - namely the chimney coil style. The Heron that I use normally requires about 350f on the SX Mini, about 370 on the DNA40, and 430f on the VT60 - all those different temperature settings give roughly the same result. The SX Mini I can explain the lower temperature settings from the way the Multi level PWM works but why the VT60 needs to be so much higher I'm at a loss to explain...

My occ is the coil, chimmey design Heatvape Ecotank: Defender Maker's Take on the Supertank (Review)

I bought the atty as a experiment into temp control. It was only $11 :P I would like to hear from anyone using the Invader with RBA nic build, too know if its a anomaly with the occ coils, or issue with the mod. It seems wrong that max temp is 600f, and anything under 550f there is no vapour. I must say the taste is good, just i fear the high temp will lead to shorter coil life/ gunk... the whole reason for using temp is to avoid this lol...

But even though you have variations,they are all within tolerance of -500 for cotton burn and gunk coils.

Last edited:
My occ is the coil, chimmey design Heatvape Ecotank: Defender Maker's Take on the Supertank (Review)

I bought the atty as a experiment into temp control. It was only $11 :P I would like to hear from anyone using the Invader with RBA nic build, too know if its a anomaly with the occ coils, or issue with the mod. It seems wrong that max temp is 600f, and anything under 550f there is no vapour. I must say the taste is good, just i fear the high temp will lead to shorter coil life/ gunk... the whole reason for using temp is to avoid this lol...

But even though you have variations,they are all within tolerance of -500 for cotton burn and gunk coils.

Have you tried a different atty or is that the only Nickel one you have?

Back
Top Bottom