What's new

Practical Resistance

Bryan123456

Achiever
Anyone have any thoughts on what the highest practical coil resistance might be? I got some 0.134 mm wire and have wound some coils with it. The benefits seem to be (a) more coils so a bigger surface area in contact with e liquid (b) more vapour (c) generally a cooler vape. The disbenefit on fixed wattage is that it needs more power than low resistance coils.

I have been trying to wind to about 3.2 Ohms on .15 and .134 wire and got between 2.8 and 3.8 ohms. The 3.8 ohms was my first crack with the 0.134 wire and I am wondering whether I should sensibly continue with this sort of winding or take it back a turn or two?

If it's any help Bryan, I used to use 0.2 nichrome most of the time and it does give a nice vape, but I found myself struggling at times to get the amount of winds I wanted into limited spaces. I've since switched to finer gauge kanthal and it's easier space wise.

The only concern I had was a higher amp draw straining batteries but using panasonic hybrids it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom