What's new

Popping coils - argh!

you can oxidise it mate, its just my personal choice not to, Ive not done it since i buggered my burner up, and then saw a video on it, just pulse the coil with the wick in short and fast, you will get a hotspot don't panic as the wick oxides itself the coils will slowly work there way down and all glow together, some say it takes longer, from what I have found around 5 minutes and it can take that to make it the other way.

My cock ups mate had loads as we all do learning, once you have cracked it
practice
practice
practice

I also gave up on SS twice and came back to it as I do like SS as much as Silica. you will crack it mate :)

Carl

uploadfromtaptalk1377724031712.jpg

I had a merry old time last night, wrestling with the same problem on the Aga T2. I wish I could tell you what I did right in the end (I did get it working in the end) but I honestly don't know. It strikes me that both times I've had coil popping troubles so far, I've ended up completely disassembling the atty, washing, drying everything, and reassembling, and got a functioning coil at the first attempt after that, each time.

I see you've found and deployed a spring from somewhere. I haven't used a spring, yet (got a tiny washer, filed down even tinier, that's sitting under the top nut atm) but this evening I found a good source of stupidly tiny springs: I took apart an exhausted and empty cheapo disposable lighter that was lying around. These contain two springs: a small one, which pushes the flint against the sparking wheel, and a tiny, miniscule one that returns the gas lever once you let go of it. There's also a tiny nitrile o-ring in there, and the smallest bung I think I've ever seen. I've stuck those away in a jiffy bag for future use in god-wot. The tiny spring looks exactly right, but I'm not about to strip out a functioning coil to find out. I'll report back.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there must be some common household object I can pilfer a suitable washer from, but I haven't thought of it yet. Anyone else? My hardware shop man just chuckled and shook his head when I showed him the size of washer I wanted.

And an hour of searching later...found it. I've been through threads, tried various search strings on here and Google. Never thought to try "The Drillbit Method"! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
And an hour of searching later...found it. I've been through threads, tried various search strings on here and Google. Never thought to try "The Drillbit Method"! :D

Looks like you might win the battle of faffing tediousness after all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
well we are all waiting on a update, sorted or thrown in the wheelie bin mate :)

well we are all waiting on a update, sorted or thrown in the wheelie bin mate :)

Spent the day playing with silica and ribbon which was an altogether more pleasurable experience. The flavour I'm ripping out of juices with ribbon is outstanding and I simply couldn't be bothered to return to messing about with mesh. Going to try a dual ribbon and silica set-up in the T2 and see how that goes and at some point will get around to looking at 'The Method' on the i-Atty when I am bored.

Taken with the idea of getting a K-lite clone to practise setting up to see if it's worth me getting the real thing, the Ikatha appears to have its fans.

My bent ugly mother looking wick is still vaping away like a train

We won The Ashes. :p

I watched a video earlier where igetcha is doing a review and I swear to god he can make a mesh wick quicker than I can put a drip tip on straight! And it worked a bloody dream

Back
Top Bottom