What's new

noob coil making question

Congrats!! I use the Sony VTC4 in my Sigelei 100w. Make sure you marry the batteries to that specific device.

I've gone for purple efests - to be honest I don't really know any better and it was all the vape site in question stocked so I'm guessing they're ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

I've gone for purple efests - to be honest I don't really know any better and it was all the vape site in question stocked so I'm guessing they're ok.

Nowt wrong with purp efests. If marked as 35A they are only good 4 20A continuous.
Work out the amps. A=W/V

Nowt wrong with purp efests. If marked as 35A they are only good 4 20A continuous.
Work out the amps. A=W/V

Thanks for that. They are 35A ones. Is there anything better? / what would be best for a sig 150?

Thanks for that. They are 35A ones. Is there anything better? / what would be best for a sig 150?

I dunno bout these boxes. U must keep the batteries together as a pair for life. The box itself must have a max amp rating. Am more into mechs myself. Samsung 25Rs are good. Torchy (fleabay) is known to be a good supplier.

If ur not confused now u will be.............Battery test-review 18650 summary

I thought big boxes were the way to go, and have currently have me a Hana50, a Sig 100W+ and got an iStick 50W on the way. They're great for heavier duty coils, but I've found my daily driver in an 18650 copper mech and a well set up Derringer. Never thought I'd see the day I was shunning tanks and passthrough charging in favour of the footery drippers and battery changes. The boxes tend to stay in the house, and I'm gonna keep the iStick and a good size tank for those days when I need a good long distance setup. 4400mah should be ample for a good day's run time...

Back to your coiling question, I find it much easier to work with the thinner wire when you've torched it before working with it. Even a cheapo jet lighter should be up to the job of heating it enough to take the springyness out of it. Straightening it in a drill works, but it's still quite resilient and likes to expand when you finish wrapping your coil. The drill thing is brilliant on the heavier gauges of wire, especially when you start doing daft builds.

As everyone else had said, check your resistance and for shorts, chuck it on a mod and give it a pulse to heat and position it. Don't be too scared to manhandle it a wee bit, you'll find it's quite forgiving (within reason) and can take a good bit of wiggling/squeezing/poking around once it's been heated.

Best thing to do is keep at it. My toolbox sits next to the couch and it's become quite a hobby while sitting watching the telly at night to try out some new builds. I've got a wee dooket in the top where all my older coils go once I've got fed up of them so they can be fitted back in at some point. Experimentation is the name of the game!

Efests will be fine in ya sig if you want an upgrade search out some Sony vtc4 they are dearer but about as good as they get I think I saw some on e puff for about £12.50 the Samsung 25rs are very good too the main thing is to have decent IMR batteries and not to have utterly unsuitable shite like ultrafires they are downright dangerous all batteries will have a pulse and continuous rating the Efests are 20amp continuous and 35amp pulse the sig fires down to 0.3amp I believe could be wrong that would draw 22.5amps ish at 150w on 1 battery but you have to bear in mind there is 2 batteries in there not sure how the sig is wired but it will work in that if they are wired in parallel then the load is shared between the 2 batteries thus halving the load or if they are wired in series the output voltage of the batteries power supply is doubled thus meaning less current is required to get the wattage you need thus drawing less current so in a nut shell 20amps per battery is plenty

Last edited:
You won't go wrong with the Samsung 25Rs in the Sig, switched from VTC4s to them a couple of weeks ago and the increase in battery life is huge. The high-wattage Sigs are wired in series (which is why you should marry a new pair of batteries to these devices, and rotate them after charging each time), and they'll fire down to 0.15ohm or there abouts.

I read somewhere to change their positions in the mod when the battery gets down to 50%

Rotating them after each use makes more sense though as the net effect will be the same.

Top tip, if you want to use up your 0.25mm (30 gauge) double twist it into 6" lengths.

Google is your friend here.

Just done my first build on my mutation x and it's not bad

Update.

My latest build is a twisted 0.3mm dual coil in a Plume Veil clone. Comes in at 0.39 Ohm, vaping Crackleberry like a champ at 47W

What was I fretting about?

Back
Top Bottom