What's new

Ni200 coils and temp control

My other question . Say you set temp to 400f and your running 20 joules, and say you hit 400f after 2 seconds vaping...

Then say you increased joules to 40... keeping temp.... There should be no difference after 2 seconds vaping right ? You will just hit 400f quicker ?

Yeah that's pretty much how it should work.

No because you're using it with a regulated mod, I've got a 0.124 ohm build in my Heron now, at 16.6j - about 20w it's being fired at 1.96v
thats about 10a, at the full 60w the SX Mini can deliver it's 17.32a so not beyond the capabilities of a decent battery...

Where do you get this about sx mini delivering max 17.32a? Data sheets say 40 a.... or do you mean your coil at 60w will pull that?

Point being if I have a 0.14 ohm coil firing at 2.5v I'm pulling 17 a ...

Point being my aw imr 2000 mah 18650s are not going to be able to handle this

They have a continuous discharge of 10 a

Or am I working something out wrong here ?

You're focusing too much on the comparison between Kanthal and Nickel. It's best to forget about the comparison and just take Nickel for what it is. I build coils using twisted 0.25mm NI200, 11 wraps comes to around 0.12 ohms when wrapped on a 2.5mm mandrel.

You dont set the temperature to meet the Kanthal builds you set it to a level that suits you, most people start at around 400f as that is just below the level at which cotton will statrt to char when it is dry. From there you simply adjust it up or down as you require...

Do you make your own twisted Nickel or are you buying it already twisted? If making it what gauges are you using to get 0.25mm and if buying it where from?

Where do you get this about sx mini delivering max 17.32a? Data sheets say 40 a.... or do you mean your coil at 60w will pull that?

No I said its not beyond a DECENT battery...

Your looking at the amp draw from the wrong side of the regulation. Your right that a 0.14ohm coil fired at 2.5V is going to be around 17A but that is 17A through the coil. Those figures ignoring the fact that the Ni200 coil will change in resistance as you vape on it gives you about 41W. Now your pulling that 41W from your battery at somewhere between fully charged at 4.2V and flat at worst say 3V. What that means is when your battery is fully charged you'd be pulling around 10A from it but when it's voltage is getting lower that amperage actually increases so when your battery is down to around 3V under load which is probably about when the mod would cut you out you'd be pulling just over 13A or there about. Using the mod at full bore 60W this would mean about 15A when the battery is fully charged going up to near 20A when the battery is as good as flat. In short you probably want a better battery though the mod would probably allow it to fire up to it's ability after which it would show a warning such as check battery when it can no longer keep up.

Do you make your own twisted Nickel or are you buying it already twisted? If making it what gauges are you using to get 0.25mm and if buying it where from?

I make my own using two strands of 0.25mm from stealth vape, twisted wires should be measured using the diameter of the individual strands as once twiste the diameter of the two is not equal to it's surface area - calculating that would be extremely complex as you are trying to calculate the area of two helical strands with multiple points of contact...

I make my own using two strands of 0.25mm from stealth vape, twisted wires should be measured using the diameter of the individual strands as once twiste the diameter of the two is not equal to it's surface area - calculating that would be extremely complex as you are trying to calculate the area of two helical strands with multiple points of contact...

Thanks, I may have to give this a try. I've just ordered a Sub Tank Mini and 5 NI200 OCC coils from MyEpack for when I feel lazy and want a no fuss set up and curious to see how they perform.

Your looking at the amp draw from the wrong side of the regulation. Your right that a 0.14ohm coil fired at 2.5V is going to be around 17A but that is 17A through the coil. Those figures ignoring the fact that the Ni200 coil will change in resistance as you vape on it gives you about 41W. Now your pulling that 41W from your battery at somewhere between fully charged at 4.2V and flat at worst say 3V. What that means is when your battery is fully charged you'd be pulling around 10A from it but when it's voltage is getting lower that amperage actually increases so when your battery is down to around 3V under load which is probably about when the mod would cut you out you'd be pulling just over 13A or there about. Using the mod at full bore 60W this would mean about 15A when the battery is fully charged going up to near 20A when the battery is as good as flat. In short you probably want a better battery though the mod would probably allow it to fire up to it's ability after which it would show a warning such as check battery when it can no longer keep up.

Iv got a Samsung 25r. 20 or 25 a I think. It was half the price of the aw batteries I have so assumed it to be a lower quality bat.

I was a bit shocked that the aw were 10 a. It's not something iv needed to think much about in the past running coils around 1.5ohm at 14 watts

Iv got a Samsung 25r. 20 or 25 a I think. It was half the price of the aw batteries I have so assumed it to be a lower quality bat.

I was a bit shocked that the aw were 10 a. It's not something iv needed to think much about in the past running coils around 1.5ohm at 14 watts

The Samsung 25r presuming it's in good nick should run it no problem:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom