What's new

Ni200 coils and temp control

anynamewilldo85

Postman
Hey

Iv just ordered an sx 350 m series with temp control.

Now... Iv never used ni200 before and have been hopping around the Web all night reading up.

In a nut shell does the fact that the temp monitoring caps the heat at x degrees c (for example )make the fact that your using a 0.1 ohm coil say, make it inherently safer than running 0.1 ohm dual coil kanthal builds at super hot temps

Sorry if that's a little vague . But hopefully you get the gust of what I mean

Understanding Ni200 and super low ohm builds is making me dizzy.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:
well its still super hot temps ( anything between 200-900 degrees on the smok and my dna 40 goes up to 600 degrees )
the difference is its not supposed to burn ( though it can be a little hit and miss ) and once you get the temp your happy with should give a consistent vape from start to finish so to speak as there should be no fluctuation.

i dont think TC is perfect ( far from it ) but its certainly going in the right step for a more rounded and enjoyable way to vape retaining a continuous flavour experience .

well its still super hot temps ( anything between 200-900 degrees on the smok and my dna 40 goes up to 600 degrees )
the difference is its not supposed to burn ( though it can be a little hit and miss ) and once you get the temp your happy with should give a consistent vape from start to finish so to speak as there should be no fluctuation.

i dont think TC is perfect ( far from it ) but its certainly going in the right step for a more rounded and enjoyable way to vape retaining a continuous flavour experience .

So say I was usually building kayfun coils at about 1.5 ohms with 28 gauge kanthal. 8 wraps ish. 2.5 mm diameter say.

How does this translate to ni200?

If I built a 28 gauge 8 wrap coil using ni200 it's going to come in at something crazy like .1 ohm

I just don't get it

Presumably you set the temp to be what it would be on the kanthal build? But then I see people use higher watts on the ni200 builds

So say I was usually building kayfun coils at about 1.5 ohms with 28 gauge kanthal. 8 wraps ish. 2.5 mm diameter say.

How does this translate to ni200?

If I built a 28 gauge 8 wrap coil using ni200 it's going to come in at something crazy like .1 ohm

I just don't get it

Presumably you set the temp to be what it would be on the kanthal build? But then I see people use higher watts on the ni200 builds

You're focusing too much on the comparison between Kanthal and Nickel. It's best to forget about the comparison and just take Nickel for what it is. I build coils using twisted 0.25mm NI200, 11 wraps comes to around 0.12 ohms when wrapped on a 2.5mm mandrel.

You dont set the temperature to meet the Kanthal builds you set it to a level that suits you, most people start at around 400f as that is just below the level at which cotton will statrt to char when it is dry. From there you simply adjust it up or down as you require...

You're focusing too much on the comparison between Kanthal and Nickel. It's best to forget about the comparison and just take Nickel for what it is. I build coils using twisted 0.25mm NI200, 11 wraps comes to around 0.12 ohms when wrapped on a 2.5mm mandrel.

You dont set the temperature to meet the Kanthal builds you set it to a level that suits you, most people start at around 400f as that is just below the level at which cotton will statrt to char when it is dry. From there you simply adjust it up or down as you require...

But doesn't that 0.12 ohm coil put crazy stress on your battery?

Compared to the stress of the kanthal build ?

Forgive me if that sounds dumb I'm just trying to get my head round it

But doesn't that 0.12 ohm coil put crazy stress on your battery?

Compared to the stress of the kanthal build ?

Forgive me if that sounds dumb I'm just trying to get my head round it

No because you're using it with a regulated mod, I've got a 0.124 ohm build in my Heron now, at 16.6j - about 20w it's being fired at 1.96v
thats about 10a, at the full 60w the SX Mini can deliver it's 17.32a so not beyond the capabilities of a decent battery...

The reason temp control works is because the resistance of nickel changes as it heats up. Your 0.1 ohm coil isn't 0.1 when you're vaping. It's impossible to compare them because they don't behave the same way.

First build.
Squape r. 3.5 mm diameter coil. Cotton wick. 9 wrap. 0.14 ohms. 20 joules 500 degrees f.

Seems pretty nice..

500 to hot though ? If I'm using cotton and that burns at 400 I should keep below that ?

The reason temp control works is because the resistance of nickel changes as it heats up. Your 0.1 ohm coil isn't 0.1 when you're vaping. It's impossible to compare them because they don't behave the same way.

My other question . Say you set temp to 400f and your running 20 joules, and say you hit 400f after 2 seconds vaping...

Then say you increased joules to 40... keeping temp.... There should be no difference after 2 seconds vaping right ? You will just hit 400f quicker ?

Wow..calibrated starting resistance... I just Vaped my wick dry.... it just produced less and less vapour till cut off . No dry hits...no burning.... nice!!

Provari just went in the drawer

Back
Top Bottom