What's new

help re coiling

mich

Initiate
Hi all. Have tried to recoil my standard ce5, used kanthal a1, tested it and it was 2.4ohms but tasted vile. Would the nichrome be better, not sure what im doing wrong, also used silica wick, any help much appreciated. :-)

It can take a while to "bed in"
Or the coil might be a bit tight, try wrapping the coil round the wick and a paper clip or a needle, then remove paper clip, this should give the wick some breathing space, also I flame the wick til it glows, as it helps with the bedding in period, you can also flame the kanthal wire before you wrap as it takes the springness out of the wire :)

It can take a while to "bed in"
Or the coil might be a bit tight, try wrapping the coil round the wick and a paper clip or a needle, then remove paper clip, this should give the wick some breathing space, also I flame the wick til it glows, as it helps with the bedding in period, you can also flame the kanthal wire before you wrap as it takes the springness out of the wire :)

Yep it ususally takes about a half a tank for coil to bed in also as said always flame the kanthal firstly for the springy as whitt77 said but also this will burn off any residue that may have been left behind from manufacture.

Simon

Whats the difference between kanthal and nichrome. What wire do they use as standard when manufacturing?

And what do you mean by flame the wick till it glows, fire it up on the battery before adding liquids etc?

Thanks guys, just ordered some nichrome wire .2 and some more wick. Trial and error i suppose. Hopefully next rebuild will be better, :-)

Thanks guys, just ordered some nichrome wire .2 and some more wick. Trial and error i suppose. Hopefully next rebuild will be better, :-)

Tbh kanthal is fine, its what the manfactures use, and most guys on here

Got kanthal too, want to see what the difference is, if any, :-)

Kanthal is absolutely fine i did not have too much luck with Nichrome, when recoiling i usually dry burn and take the crap off it, its that what gives you a metal taste,

Back
Top Bottom