What's new

Had my first Short on a mech squonker. Scary 2 seconds.

A short in the switch is the biggest pain imho. Battery removal is probably the only option, if there's time. One of the reasons I feel safer with my "plastic boxes" over everything else I own. Shake and the door pops off and out comes the battery, stand back and admire the sparks :)

Lol, the Furyan then is probably the worst possible device for quick battery removal. Have you seen the amount of threading on the battery cover? I dont think any other mod comes close to the amount of turns you have to do just to change battery LOL.

Lol, the Furyan then is probably the worst possible device for quick battery removal. Have you seen the amount of threading on the battery cover? I dont think any other mod comes close to the amount of turns you have to do just to change battery LOL.
I have 2, brass and stainless steel. The steel ones thread is a bit janky out of the box, and sticks sometimes. Still, I am pretty careful, until that time when I'm not :)

When these things happen, how do you know there hasn't been internal damage to the battery? I am completely ignorant of mechs, I'd never use one because I wouldn't be safe doing it. Same reason I don't drive.

Close call mate! Glad you're OK, that's the main thing. Live and learn :)

When these things happen, how do you know there hasn't been internal damage to the battery? I am completely ignorant of mechs, I'd never use one because I wouldn't be safe doing it. Same reason I don't drive.
It will have.

‘Damage’ is done to a cell in normal use. Lithium deposits form on the electrodes and hair-like filaments grow from one electrode to the other, rupturing the electrolyte sheets and making an internal short ever more likely.

This takes a few years in normal use, but stressing the battery speeds the process up - which is why firing with a short can result in thermal runaway (the battery venting).

Best practise would be to recycle the cells after an incident like this.

Chuck the battery
I think I have a had a garden toss, but can't remember the details.
Mech users should be shitted up by things like this once in a while, complacency can set in.

I have 2, brass and stainless steel. The steel ones thread is a bit janky out of the box, and sticks sometimes. Still, I am pretty careful, until that time when I'm not :)
Yeah I have the new black/steel one. Impressive squonker overall but heard some people complain it doesn’t hit well unless you keep cleaning it daily and no video instructions on cleaning it that I could find. Had it a week now and haven’t cleaned yet (at least not properly by opening it up). Seeing as you have a few of them, do you clean contacts regularly? Do you notice them work a little less efficiently unless you OCD clean them?

Last edited:
Yeah I have the new black/steel one. Impressive squonker overall but heard some people complain it doesn’t hit well unless you keep cleaning it daily and no video instructions on cleaning it that I could find. Had it a week now and haven’t cleaned yet (at least not properly by opening it up). Seeing as you have a few of them, do you clean contacts regularly? Do you notice them work a little less efficiently unless you OCD clean them?
That's very true of my brass one. I've even resorted to using a nail file on the small round contact point inside, as it was a little pitted. I haven't noticed any drop off with the black/ss one yet, outside of what's normal with the battery, but I will strip it in due course anyway, as I want to soften up the button throw.

Last edited:
That's very true of my brass one. I've even resorted to using a nail fail on the small round contact point inside, as it was a little pitted. I haven't noticed any drop off with the black/ss one yet, outside of what's normal with the battery, but I will strip it in due course anyway, as I want to soften up the button throw.

Cool, seems like I bought the best one then :) did you ever find a video online just for cleaning or just work it out yourself?

Back
Top Bottom