What's new

[fixed]Mech question (conductivity and safety / voltage checking)

Disposablesteve

Postman
Ahoy hoy

I've had my Hammer clone a while now, its my only mech so far although i've been into vaping for a year now so have done lots of research and reading. I just have a couple of questions, so some ramblings then a tl;dr version;

The firing pin on the hammer clones are well known as unreliable, i was aware when I bought it but also aware it could be fixed. I got my clone a couple of months ago, and the vendor kindly included a silver spring to replace the terrible one inside the contact. I switched them out, as I was going to anyway. But its still been weak, for what i assume a mech mod is capable of. I just built a dual coil setup in my dripper coming out at 1ohm and was getting pitiful vapor.

I measured the voltage from the positive pin and one of the negatives while firing, and it came out as 3.12 (1 whole volt short of the charge in the battery). Having seen a hammer fix that involved merging two decent springs into one for the firing pin, i added the brass spring to the silver spring (rolled them together into one) and put it back in, so now both springs are in the firing pin. It now chucks out vapour like a beast, so I'm assuming its fixed, however;

TL;DR: I now have a solid silver spring and a brass spring in the firing pin carrying current to the atty. Is this safe, to mix different types of metals like this with the same current going through? Will they share the load or each carry their own, or will the current just use one anyway, as the 'path of least resistance' and that? If its unsafe i'll get another silver spring and two of those.

Also; Did i measure my firing voltage correctly and safely, with a multimeter on the pos & neg posts while firing, or is there a better/safe way to do it? I think i removed the negative probe before letting go of the mod button and there was a pop, so it felt a bit sketchy although i instantly realised it was 100% my mistake not releasing the button first and I shant be doing that again!

Thanks, possibly stupid questions but I want to vape responsibly and safely, not just whichever works :)

EDIT: Problem solved, forgot my friends a professional sparky so I asked him. My springs are fine and safe, but my multimeter usage needs practicing to avoid another pop, i.e. let go of the fire button before moving the probes away!

Last edited:
Dont worry about your spring materials. The current will find the best path and that is that. If the springs wont take it they'll soften.

I would also say your doing voltage measurements correctly as that's how I do it. There shouldn't be a pop when you remove the probes unless you short the terminals together. What cells were you testing with? Voltage drop has two components - poor mod connections and actual cell sag under load.

Back
Top Bottom