What's new

First mech mod

Edd90

Initiate
Hey all, sorry if this is in he ring section. Please move if so.

Looking into getting my first mech mod and looking for some advice.

Befor i go out and buy a mech I want to get myself clued up on all the safety aspects of using mech mods.

I understand in "general" ohms law and battery safety. But if anyone can give me more advice, or links to some reading, I would be great ful.

Atm I using a tsunami 22 rda, and using dual Clapton coils running 0.45 - 0.5 ohm,

Sorry for noob questions but rather ask silly questions/advice and get my self clued up befor I go out and buy a mech

If yir wanting a first Mech that is fairly safe for an intro to #Mechlife, there is a couple of good ones in the classies....:2thumbsup:
Knucklehead Vapes have some decent quality clones too.

First off: Can you build your own coils?
Do you have either or both Nichrome or SS wires?
Do you know the max amp limits of all your batteries? And can you calculate the 90% max limit!!

There are a few good videos on youtube on using mechs safely, worth a wee hunt around and there are HUNNERS of threads on here about them too. Again, take a swatch.

But, as long as you can build good coils, know your battery limits, are not a total imbecile and are prepared to spend a bit of your evenings polishing your tubes, not too much can go wrong.
Play it safe to start with, don't be a fool, get a normal non hybrid top capped tube to kick off with, go to @stealthvape and get some flattened Nichrome, don't be an eejit with the builds, have a ohm reader.
And enjoy it!! :D

ps, if your claptons are kanthal, not really much use on a mech, too much dense metal to warm up, get SS cored ones if you have to be fancy, or just get the flattened Nichrome!!

Other than the general stuff, which you are aware of it seems, I think the other stuff is specific to which mod you get. So when you chose one have a good look at it, take it apart a few times, including the switch and understand how it works, they are pretty simple but there are designs that are better than others in my opinion and have a plan is case something does go awry.

also my advice would be not to ever leave a battery in it when you aren't using it and don't do anything up so tight that you couldn't undo it quickly if you needed to.

also like @EmbraSewerRat said youtube is your friend here, it's often easier to see something than it is to explain it. ... and when you've chosen a mod watch every single youtube video you can find for that mod before using it, then you'll see the best/right way to assemble etc, and you'll feel like you know it already before you attempt it yourself.

Only thing I can really add to what others have said is to clean it when you get it. Pay close attention to the threads and connectors. Get into the habit of doing it on a weekly basis.
Have some Autosol, Servisol Super 10 (avoid WD40), isopropyl alcohol and lots of microfibre cloths in your mech servicing kit.

Exactly as above posts!!

Polish and clean yer tubes as much as you would Polish your tube and yer on ye way!

thank you for all the replies. im happy rolling my own coils, using both kanthal and SS cored claptons. using sony vtc5 batteries atm but will get some new ones for my mech ad im using this in my other mods.

had a look on knuckleheads and most of their mech mods seem to be hybrid 510, think i would like to stay away from hybrid for now.

ill keep doing a bit for reseach and try to find a decent clone thats non hybrid

The Wotofo Phantom is a really nice mod for the money , comes with hybrid and normal 510 top caps , I have mechs far more expensive than the Phantom but I use mine pretty much every day.

Back
Top Bottom