What's new

Fatty V3 twisted build

Colonelboom

Vendor
Just got this from @jeffhds and gave it a quick setup, nothing spectacular but used to see ease of build and performance.

3 x strands of 0.2 Kanthal and a central strand of 0.3 Kanthal all tightly wound, 9 wraps coming out at 0.8ohm

4core.jpg
twisted wire, 4 strands of mixed, thick but surprisingly easy to work with still

fattywick.jpg
9 wraps around an S shaped cotton wick laid over the deck but leaving the air holes exposed

fatty3.jpg
Fatty V3 on a SS Nemesis - looks good, no?

It vapes like a champ actually, the draw is hardly what I would call open, even on the widest setting but it suits my vaping style just fine. It delivers decent vapour, not cloud chaser levels but certainly very respectable - the flavour though... Oh dear god it is stunning! side by side with my Trident it knocks the socks off it in flavour terms with a real pronunciation and depth.

Using Colonel Booms Blackpowder the anise is incredible and dances on the tongue far more than most other devices, usually the fruit comes through much more prominently and takes the anise down a few notches.

Downsides: The airflow is quite restricted on wide open - for the size of the air hole particularly, that may be partly down to the abundance of cotton on the chamber though. Building was actually very straight forward, I cannot see how anyone would struggle on a simple coil setup really, the downside is only one thing in my view - the negative post fastens the air hold in place so you have to get it right before you screw down, personally though, wide open is fine so I went with that and was happy.

It supposedly holds 20 drops and I would say that after putting 30 drops in the air hole did allow a drop or two to escape and I would think the cotton could hold 10 drops anyway. I have yet to see if less cotton allows more airflow and the juice chamber to work as I just went on the reviews I watched saying it wasn't as effective as hoped.

All in all though it performs well and tastes amazing so thumbs up.

I have a fatty also and setting up the airhole is a bind , but I have seen some that just leave the ring off , so will try this the next time I do a rebuild. I have been using cotton but bought some 4mm voodoowool today from Stealthvape so hopefully will be rebuilding tomorrow :).

Last edited:
fantastic looking setup !. I'm a sucker for my trident (clone) but your right the flavour isn't exceptional (in fact ive reverted to my igo-w that had been long forgotten about as i broke my trident yesterday, and flavour is much better.)

I'm going to have a look into twisted coils, not tried them myself.

Just a quick update:

I have removed half of the cotton and it makes it breathe a 'tiny' bit better but still quite tight. If you are a mouth to lung inhaler like me then it offers just the right resistance IMO. Direct lung inhales are more difficult and nowhere near as easy as the likes of the trident - I will refer back to my previous statement regarding flavour though as that makes it all worthwhile in my view.

@stumpey, I don't mind the airhole setup really, initially I thought it was a pain but there's no need for me to adjust it down so it realistically is just a part to hold in position while you tighten. I find the notches help in that regard.

@thedarthVap3r, I quite like my Trident for flavour but the lack of airholes other than pretty wide open is a bit of a pain for me. I just got used to closing them half off and putting up with the slight whine from inhaling. I don't usually do much with twisted coils and have never tried this 4 strand mongrel - just for shits and giggles really. It isn't hard to do and gives me something to tinker with though :D

Just a quick update:

I have removed half of the cotton and it makes it breathe a 'tiny' bit better but still quite tight. If you are a mouth to lung inhaler like me then it offers just the right resistance IMO. Direct lung inhales are more difficult and nowhere near as easy as the likes of the trident - I will refer back to my previous statement regarding flavour though as that makes it all worthwhile in my view.

@stumpey, I don't mind the airhole setup really, initially I thought it was a pain but there's no need for me to adjust it down so it realistically is just a part to hold in position while you tighten. I find the notches help in that regard.

@thedarthVap3r, I quite like my Trident for flavour but the lack of airholes other than pretty wide open is a bit of a pain for me. I just got used to closing them half off and putting up with the slight whine from inhaling. I don't usually do much with twisted coils and have never tried this 4 strand mongrel - just for shits and giggles really. It isn't hard to do and gives me something to tinker with though :D

i have mine set up (well did until the post snapped, buy cheap , buy often as they say.)
open , for serious cloud capabilities. fill my room up for the funnies. the trident v2 has a reduced chamber and should be with me tomorrow. ill be interested to see if i have better luck with flavour.

I've got one here and new nemmy to put it on,looking for brave pills :-)

Sent from my HTC One S using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I've got one here and new nemmy to put it on,looking for brave pills :-)

It's a doddle bud, honestly - just leave the airflow hole open and build as normal but leave a 1-2mm gap between the coil and the air holes :)

Ok mate pretty new to building so take a few goes,does look damn good on the nemmy tho :-)

Micro coils are fairly painless, if you keep the coils tight on the screwdriver/drill bit etc and then squeeze them still on the shaft (tee hee, I managed to get shaft in there) you can just keep it all in place while you wind the tails round the posts. Gently remove the shaft and thread a bit of cotton through and you are away!

It does look very nice on the Nem too ;)

Back
Top Bottom