POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

Building question...

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Mods and Devices' started by devilbedamned, Nov 13, 2018.

1. devilbedamned

devilbedamned Postman

So I am fairly new to this and have been using about 3 different tanks so far.

But for this question, I will just go with my first, the Augvape Merlin Mini.

I have built it about 3 times now (the coil) and wicked it many more times, but no matter how I tweak the process, I see that I cannot take the voltage over about 30-35 watts. Anything above and I get cotton/burnt taste.

Considering, some of the reviewers have tried it at much higher wattages, how are they managing to do this?

I don't mind vaping it at low wattage (currently vaping at 22-25), but I don't understand what I am doing wrong for it not to be able to wick enough at higher wattages. The airflow is wide open and I have tried increasing/decreasing the amount of cotton I am using, and have used different kinds of juices in the tank.

Any advice, or is 33-35 watts the highest setting this particular tank will support?

2. Ment

Ment Legend

There are many factors involved you haven't told us - the material and the style of the coil, the cotton, the juice - all these affect how much power it can handle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. devilbedamned

devilbedamned Postman

Oh, maybe that is the reason. Using simple prebuilt coils and cotton I found online. So switching from plain coil to other types will change how much it can handle.

I guess resistance would also matter then. My current set of coils are around 0.5-0.6 ohms. Going lower then should increase max possible wattage as well, yeah?

4. pdg

pdg Postman

Yes.

Or no.

I have to ask - what is your reason for wanting "higher wattage"?

• Like Like x 1
  5. devilbedamned

devilbedamned Postman

Just trying things out. I will probably end up sticking to low wattage in the long-term since I don't like warm vapors. I tend to stick to juices with coolness in them.

6. tootingyoda

tootingyoda Achiever

Lots of factors can have an effect on max wattage. One could be coil diameter, and the amount of cotton it can hold. A larger coil should hold more cotton, which in turn should hold more juice to be evaporated, maybe allowing a higher wattage. I'm not familiar with the Merlin deck, but if it only comfortably accommodates say 2.5mm coils, that'll restrict how much cotton it'll hold, compared to say a 3.5mm one, but smaller decks generally suit lower watts anyway. One thing to watch if using bigger coils in tanks, is that the wells where the wick tails go isn't choked with an excess of cotton. This will probably increase the likelihood of dry hits, unless the tails are trimmed.

I hope this makes sense to you? It does to me, at least in my head

• Like Like x 1
  7. devilbedamned

devilbedamned Postman

Thanks @tootingyoda, that's some useful advice. I will be varying my coil sizes and cotton types when I order next.

8. pdg

pdg Postman

I would suggest buying wire and winding your own coils.

You have to do 7/8 of the same work with prewound coils anyway, you should still be trimming, test firing and sorting hotspots...

Plus, it's much more fun to experiment when each coil costs thruppence h'apenny ;)

• Thank Thank x 1
  9. devilbedamned

devilbedamned Postman

Some day... when I level up :P

• LOL LOL x 1