What's new

Batteries and charging

Lewisvapes

Postman
Yo people, just a quick one here...

I just see a post on Facebook showing that someone who had left their amok v8 pen charging all night and it exploded and they was just yelling about it.

I started to read the comments and people were saying it was that he had it charging from the mains and they he should be charging from a games console or something?

My questions..

1) does charging from mains putting your USB lead into a plug like the iPhone one? I assume it does.

2) I have one of those battery charging box things that I can plug into wall or into a computer/ games console ect. Should I never use a mains plug and always a laptop or games console?
Thanks for the help guys

Question 1
Yes. Mains voltage is 220v a.c. The plug transforms the voltage down to 5v and rectifies it to a d.c.voltage.

Question 2
The output voltage of a plug device is 5v d.c. exactly the same as the output from any USB port and so it shouldn't matter which you use.

If a USB plug adaptor were to malfunction i imagine bad things could happen but that would literally apply to any USB port on any device. I have never heard of this happening.

Question 1
Yes. Mains voltage is 220v a.c. The plug transforms the voltage down to 5v and rectifies it to a d.c.voltage.

Question 2
The output voltage of a plug device is 5v d.c. exactly the same as the output from any USB port and so it shouldn't matter which you use.

If a USB plug adaptor were to malfunction i imagine bad things could happen but that would literally apply to any USB port on any device. I have never heard of this happening.
So I'll be fine using a mains plug and USB to charge? Thanks for the help!

never leave it charging overnight. weve seen too many bad posts on fartbook about this.
even one numpty had it under his pillow charging and boom!
personally i would never use a phone charging cable just in case.

So I'll be fine using a mains plug and USB to charge? Thanks for the help!

Firstly don't leave it charging over night, and secondly there are good USB wall plugs and there are really shit '99p from china with free postage on ebay' USB wall plugs, so my answer depends on what USB wall plug you have. I'd also recommend a good quality USB cable.

Just don't use cheap stuff - chargers, cables, adapters etc.
Also, best not to charge any device (not just vape devices) overnight when you're asleep.
If you say you have to - no, there are always choices, get a spare device/battery/mod etc.
Respect your equipment and check for heat on anything that's charging.

Also check the output from a mains charger, iphone chargers are 2 or 3 amps which is to high for most devices the ones usually supplied by good vape shops are 1 amp 5volt, check your charger and battery specs before using.

Also check the output from a mains charger, iphone chargers are 2 or 3 amps which is to high for most devices the ones usually supplied by good vape shops are 1 amp 5volt, check your charger and battery specs before using.

I think the current that actually flows will be determined by the device in this instance and not the charger. It may be capable of delivering 2 or 3 amps but only if the device being charged demands/allows it.

It depends heavily on the current, rather than voltage. Most evod/pen style devices can be safely charged at 0.5/1 Amp. A lot of modern phone chargers run to 2.4A, which is where the problems begin.

As long as the plug, device and cable are built to the USB charging spec (and aren't defective) you shouldn't have a problem.

According to the spec, devices and chargers negotiate power draw. If implemented correctly a charger won't send more power than the device can handle.

That being said, always be careful while charging devices. Make sure your batteries are in good condition, never leave them unattended and unplug them when they're done.

Back
Top Bottom