What's new

Advice on single coil build

Incidently, while on
It is but be careful. Ribbon wire is a different thing all together. Very thin and not suitable for coil building unless as a central wire for a flat clapton.
I know you know but I will remind anyone else using steam engine to build with brochrome. Use the standard nichrome wire of the same gauge in your calculation window not ribbon. You'll end up in a right pickle.
This place also sells square wire, 3x3, 4x4,5x5, and 9x3, i just think 9x3 is where i want to be as far as gauge goes, but square wire would give me the advantage of more number of wrap options

Incidently, while on

This place also sells square wire, 3x3, 4x4,5x5, and 9x3, i just think 9x3 is where i want to be as far as gauge goes, but square wire would give me the advantage of more number of wrap options
Bizarrely I found a real of UD square profile 27awg kanthal in my wire box the other day. Seems very good so far.

Last edited:
Incidently,

Changing the weasurements and finding someone selling those measurements are 2 totally different things.

Btw, while on the subject, is there any reason not to use a 3mm bolt to make a 3mm coil if you r using round wire? Seems like it would make a perfect spaced or unspaced (depending on the guage of the wire) every time. Then just unscrew the bolt from the coil once its made.
Ahh see what you mean. I buy from Stealthvape. They list the measurements below the product.

The coily tool goes up to 3.5

Or the coil master.
Still wondering about a 3.5 mm bolt, or a 5/32 bolt to wrap a coil. Why does no one do that? A #6 metric bolt is just under 3.5, and a #3 is essentially a 2.5. Seems like a good idea unless i'm missing something

Oh boy does it. But have a think about Brochrome. (That's flatware Ni80) I run my singles at about .18-.22 as a general rule, using 21g brochrome. If 'hard hitting' is how fast the coil come in, this will knock you flat. I do use 24g too, for lower homages and duals. But the result is the same. The only real problem, is how small even 3mm wraps look, and the fact some attys need a spaced coil to be able to fit. I find, though brochrome is very usable, on a regulated mod, I tend to go for complex coils made of SS, which is fine as I'm trying to master TC.
Ok, so i can get 3 meters of 24 guage n80 for 1.69
I can get just under 3 meters of 23 guage flat wire for $9 (altho i can get double that for only $4 more)

Is it that much better in your opinion?

Threaded bolts make good mandrills for spaced nickel coils for example, but for standard coils i would recommend using drill bits or screwdriver shafts..

Incidently,

Changing the weasurements and finding someone selling those measurements are 2 totally different things.

Btw, while on the subject, is there any reason not to use a 3mm bolt to make a 3mm coil if you r using round wire? Seems like it would make a perfect spaced or unspaced (depending on the guage of the wire) every time. Then just unscrew the bolt from the coil once its made.

It is not a new idea. It has been done and a few years ago there were a few on here enthusiastic about it. It works but never took off in a big way , Perhaps having to unscrew it is an unnecessarily complication from using a smooth mandrill then spacing the coil.

It is not a new idea. It has been done and a few years ago there were a few on here enthusiastic about it. It works but never took off in a big way , Perhaps having to unscrew it is an unnecessarily complication from using a smooth mandrill then spacing the coil.
I imagine the fact that it obviously wouldnt work with wire wraps made it kind of useless as well.

Edit: or whatever the term is used to describe triple core fused claptons, or staggered staple yada yada.

Last edited:
Ok, so i can get 3 meters of 24 guage n80 for 1.69
I can get just under 3 meters of 23 guage flat wire for $9 (altho i can get double that for only $4 more)

Is it that much better in your opinion?
I'll level with you. I'd suggest, for a mech, 24g is the ideal gauge for coils. The fence wire 21g look nice. But have a hell of a lot of mass, or are so low even Bogan would raise an eyebrow. You will need to space some coils but, all in all, it's the best balance. And it looks like it's the cheaper option, for you. So win win.

Back
Top Bottom