What's new

Wicking the Kayfun Prime Eightbitraptor Style

eightbitraptor

Achiever
This came up in a thread yesterday, and I promised @instantlady and @zouzounaki that I'd post pics of my wicking method.

Well I got a small tripod recently in order to video stupid stuff my baby does, so I thought I'd go all modern and try this Youtube malarky. Don't worry, I don't say anything and there are no effects, just me wicking and filling a Kayfun Prime. Some points to note:

• The coil is 5 wraps of 27g Kanthal around a 2.5mm bit - this is my usual Kayfun build these days and comes out at around 0.85 ohms. It's quite a warm vape at 19/20 watts which suits me perfectly on the tightest airhole of the Prime.
  • You can't see it super well but the cotton is initially cut to the same width as the base of the atomiser (not the width of the threaded part as pbusardo does it - when I do this it gurgles like a drain).
  • Always do the check at the end that the cotton is away from the airhole (I do this at the end with some tweezers, just before priming). I've found it's very easy when pushing the cotton down to just exert slightly too much pressure and push the cotton a touch too close to the hole - which of course, creates a bridge for your juice and will cause leaking
I started using a method similar to this on the Kayfun 4 about 18 months ago, and slowly tweaked it as the new Kayfuns came out. I've used this method on the v3 mini and the Prime, and with the Prime - have had absolutely no leaking, flooding, gurgling or dry hit issues in the 10 months or so I've been using them (I've jinxed myself now probably).

excuse the fumbling, I would normally do this much quicker but having a phone and a tripod in front of your face gets in the way somewhat.

Hope it's useful

Edit: oh, and I use this with anything between 50vg and 70vg juice with no problems. I haven’t tried higher or lower.

Last edited:
Gonna rebuild mine and replace the o-rings, then try with the wicks that long next time. Hopefully it solves the muted flavour I've had so far with my prime. Thanks for taking the time to shoot a video :)

Thanks for this, I’m waiting for mine to arrive and hoping it will be in the next few days, so your timing is perfect!

This came up in a thread yesterday, and I promised @instantlady and @zouzounaki that I'd post pics of my wicking method.

Well I got a small tripod recently in order to video stupid stuff my baby does, so I thought I'd go all modern and try this Youtube malarky. Don't worry, I don't say anything and there are no effects, just me wicking and filling a Kayfun Prime. Some points to note:

• The coil is 5 wraps of 27g Kanthal around a 2.5mm bit - this is my usual Kayfun build these days and comes out at around 0.85 ohms. It's quite a warm vape at 19/20 watts which suits me perfectly on the tightest airhole of the Prime.
  • You can't see it super well but the cotton is initially cut to the same width as the base of the atomiser (not the width of the threaded part as pbusardo does it - when I do this it gurgles like a drain).
  • Always do the check at the end that the cotton is away from the airhole (I do this at the end with some tweezers, just before priming). I've found it's very easy when pushing the cotton down to just exert slightly too much pressure and push the cotton a touch too close to the hole - which of course, creates a bridge for your juice and will cause leaking
I started using a method similar to this on the Kayfun 4 about 18 months ago, and slowly tweaked it as the new Kayfuns came out. I've used this method on the v3 mini and the Prime, and with the Prime - have had absolutely no leaking, flooding, gurgling or dry hit issues in the 10 months or so I've been using them (I've jinxed myself now probably).

excuse the fumbling, I would normally do this much quicker but having a phone and a tripod in front of your face gets in the way somewhat.

Hope it's useful

Edit: oh, and I use this with anything between 50vg and 70vg juice with no problems. I haven’t tried higher or lower.

Excellent job bud. More of these would be welcome and useful on the main site.

Very nice, I wick prime exactly the same.
So, what tank is next in your rotation? Video please ;)

A good tutorial, a few little variations to how I wick mine. I will try the changes at the weekend, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom