What's new

Why ss316l and not 317l for MTL?

Simple answer availability.

exactly this ..... and I don't really care about the resistance anyway.

with SS there's just no need to try and make a high resistance coil. Like @zouzounaki says because of the low wire mass and the relatively quick ramp up time of SS it vapes perfectly fine at lower power.

I can easily get over 1.5Ω with 6 wraps or so of 32 awg as well, if for some reason I wanted to.

Here’s another. 5/6 spaceδ wraps of 30awg, I think on a 2.5mm. It comes out at 1.15 - 1.32 Ω.

image.jpg

That’s not true, I use stainless steel most of the time, and prefer it to the higher resistance ni80. I also favour fewer wraps in a coil. SS coils are very suitable for mtl.

Of course everybody has their own preferences, but with so many factors involved I was generalising.

SS coils are suitable for mtl devices, though. I’m not the only one that uses them.

Yes, I know, that's why I used the word "traditional". It's a minefiled of a subject with countless factors and opinions.

Thanks for the replies folks! That’s helped my understanding a little, albeit I’m still not 100% on all this. Thanks @zouzounaki for the pics. Nice to see and nice to know I’m not doing something daft.

Cheers

Agreed. As I stated in my first post I’m guessing the difference is negligible but it just seemed to me that if you were going for higher resistance coils using SS317 would be the natural choice but google doesn’t show people use it.

It’s like with the Kanthal wires; I noticed most people use 26 or 28 Kanthal and few go for the 27 which seems like the perfect blend to me.
I use 27 Kanthal most of the time as you say the perfect blend for me!

Back
Top Bottom