What's new

Where art thou throat hit?

Toastie

Achiever
Looking for assistance. I can't seem to get much, if any, throat hit from my RTA's. Not even getting it from the Nautilus Mini.

I usually MTL at 12mg, but recently mixed up some 18mg batches because I wasn't getting any real throat hit at 12mg 50/50.

I've tried the 18mg, have it in the Nautilus Mini and the Hastur Mini, no throat hit.

I get a nice throat hit from the Hastur for the first 3 hits on a new wick, then it's gone. The wick isn't going dry or anything, it's a mystery to me.

Hastur build is 7 spaced wraps of 28g @ 2.4/2.5mm, 1.3ohm @ 12—14w.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, failing that I might just have an iron throat. I didn't want to have to up my nic, but I would be vaping less providing I got the satisfying throat hit.

Looking for assistance. I can't seem to get much, if any, throat hit from my RTA's. Not even getting it from the Nautilus Mini.

I usually MTL at 12mg, but recently mixed up some 18mg batches because I wasn't getting any real throat hit at 12mg 50/50.

I've tried the 18mg, have it in the Nautilus Mini and the Hastur Mini, no throat hit.

I get a nice throat hit from the Hastur for the first 3 hits on a new wick, then it's gone. The wick isn't going dry or anything, it's a mystery to me.

Hastur build is 7 spaced wraps of 28g @ 2.4/2.5mm, 1.3ohm @ 12—14w.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, failing that I might just have an iron throat. I didn't want to have to up my nic, but I would be vaping less providing I got the satisfying throat hit.

I'm pretty much the same, I get a bit of throat hit the first few pulls in the morning... after than, not really. I can DL 12mg, I don't find 60% PG 'harsh' in any way. When I up the nicotine level it doesn't really give me any more throat hit but it does get to a point where it starts to taste unpleasant.

.... sorry, waffling on but I don't have an answer really.

Maybe try some different flavours, sometimes ginger or cinnamon you can feel in your throat but it's not really the same.

You could try 24mg but you’d need to keep in mind to puff less otherwise you’ll get the jitters. Or increase your pg. Or, use certain types of flavours. I find some tobaccos increase throat hit.

If I was in your position I would take a wrap off that coil and vape it between 15w and 18w I'd also make some un flavoured tester bottles of 60pg 65pg and 70pg at 12mg and 18mg and see if anywhere suited a throat hit

Yep. As above, I'd remove a wrap and up the watts a bit.
Throat hit is above steam production for me so I'm a high nic, high pg vaper.

I'm pretty much the same, I get a bit of throat hit the first few pulls in the morning... after than, not really. I can DL 12mg, I don't find 60% PG 'harsh' in any way. When I up the nicotine level it doesn't really give me any more throat hit but it does get to a point where it starts to taste unpleasant.

.... sorry, waffling on but I don't have an answer really.

Maybe try some different flavours, sometimes ginger or cinnamon you can feel in your throat but it's not really the same.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Tried menthol but never tried the flavours you mentioned.

You could try 24mg but you’d need to keep in mind to puff less otherwise you’ll get the jitters. Or increase your pg. Or, use certain types of flavours. I find some tobaccos increase throat hit.

Funnily enough, Vic on YouTube mentions getting a head rush from chaining 12mg... I've never experienced a buzz from vaping, even chaining 12mg.

Some news for you @zouzounaki, I've just recoiled and stuck some of the Am4a mix in, I was dreading it as it smells like a strong whiskey and reminds me of a works night out... Turns out it's bloody lovely, nothing like it smells. It's only been steeping since Saturday.

If I was in your position I would take a wrap off that coil and vape it between 15w and 18w I'd also make some un flavoured tester bottles of 60pg 65pg and 70pg at 12mg and 18mg and see if anywhere suited a throat hit

I will give the higher PG a go when I get a chance. I've avoided it as higher PG tends to give more of a dry mouth for me. I've also just recoiled, this time at 3mm with 6 wraps, same ohms. I'll try kicking up the power and report back.

Could also be in part the tank....
Can't comment on the mini but the Hastur 3.5 is deffo a "moister" vape
so if you crave a harsher/dryer throat hit then the hastur might be restricting you a smidge too
I'd say something like the True is deffo a dryer vape than my 3.5 hastur but that could be just me
but a "dryer" vape could help you achieve the throat hit or at least assist you slightly

Altering the wraps can alter the flavour a smidge too
well I noticed from a 6 to a 7 wrap coil the prominent flavour became more subtle
and the subtle flavour became more prominent - but that's probably just me being weird perhaps

The issue is, it is such a mixture or conundrum as we are all bespoke in what we seek
That very first fag in the morning was always a bit rougher than other fags later on in the day
but you seem to crave that more dryer throat hit than a slightly subtle hit I might prefer
so it seems you will have to experiment a bit more in your quest

tbh - ignore what I just wrote, I'll just wish you well in your quest sir

Update, the 3mm build is working better, same ohms, same wattage. Provided I take a decent slow, long pull and inhale the vapour sharply afterwards, I'm finally getting some throat hit. Let's hope it lasts.

I have a feeling it might be the wicking change I've done though. I wicked very lightly through the coil this time, lighter than I'm usually comfortable with. I wasn't wicking very hard before though, as it's hard to do with 28g and above.

I thinned the tails more than I'd usually like too, I usually work on being able to fit my tweezers into the channel, along with the wick. I was expecting it to leak in all honesty, I'm amazed.

Update, the 3mm build is working better, same ohms, same wattage. Provided I take a decent slow, long pull and inhale the vapour sharply afterwards, I'm finally getting some throat hit. Let's hope it lasts.

I have a feeling it might be the wicking change I've done though. I wicked very lightly through the coil this time, lighter than I'm usually comfortable with. I wasn't wicking very hard before though, as it's hard to do with 28g and above.

I thinned the tails more than I'd usually like too, I usually work on being able to fit my tweezers into the channel, along with the wick. I was expecting it to leak in all honesty, I'm amazed.
Try a 6wrap 2.5ID @16w or 7wrap 2ID at the same wattage I've never found benefits to 3mm coils for mtl and smaller coils and positioning them just right can do wonders for throat hit on my builds

Try a 6wrap 2.5ID @16w or 7wrap 2ID at the same wattage I've never found benefits to 3mm coils for mtl and smaller coils and positioning them just right can do wonders for throat hit on my builds

Same here, always 2.5mm or 2.0mm. I thought I'd give it a try on a whim. I'll give the 6 wrap 2.5mm a try next time I rebuild it and report back. I have played with coil height in the past when searching for flavour, never seemed to make a difference that I could notice.

Where I am now is better but still not perfect, so I will keep updating this thread as it may also help others in future.

Whilst writing this I just bumped that 1.3ohm 3mm build up to 17w, 4.8v. Bloody hell, better throat hit and even the slight tightness of breath afterwards... Mmmm.

Back
Top Bottom